Home General
Options

Television History

I was just watching an episode of “Bonanza“ “ The Truckee Strip” and was thinking🤔
Is it worse to be a “love interest” of one of the Cartwright men on the Ponderosa or a “red shirt” on the original “Star Trek”?

Comments

• Options
    Watched Bonanza in its day, never watched Star Trek, so I guess no comment.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @RockyMountainBriar Come to think of it ... being a love interest in a lot of those shows back then was lethal. Seems like any girl that fell in love with TV detectives like "Starsky & Hutch" would end up dead by the end of the episode. Must have been a standing rule that the main character must be unattached. The men watched for the action and women may have been enticed to watch because of a handsome leading man - the old heart throb. So I guess to please both the men and women watching,  the main characters couldn't successfully fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after. To do so the female audience might fall by the wayside. And since the macho guys watching only wanted to see fist fights, car chases, and people shooting at each other, the love interests simply got in the way.
    Now-a-days we have slasher moves - and it's become all to easy to pick out the victims ... they are usually the pair of teens having sex in a pup tent when someone with a hatchet, pick axe, or butcher knife comes calling.
  • Options
    I was pondering my discussion topic and have come to the conclusion that it would be worse to be a “red-shirt“, both male and female characters got it.  On Bonanza, it was only the women.  Nowadays, if Bonanza was filmed today, the likelihood of a male “love interest” to one of the Cartwright would be just as likely😳
  • Options
    NCIS fans:

Dr. Donald “Ducky” Mallard, David McCallum, has passed
  • Options
    I think the only alien Kirk didn't make out with was the Gorn.
  • Options
    @DSturg369
    He did, they just didn’t show it…you know….1960’s network sensors😬
  • Options
    Who wouldn’t want to be “Gorned”…..ok…..this guy😂
  • Options
    Montecristo - Yes, very sad to hear of that.  :'(  I was a fan from back in his "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." days. (I know - dates me as pretty darned old!) One of my favorite NCIS "bits" was when the team dropped off DiNozo at Ducky's house for security from a threat and on leaving, Davide asks Gibbs "Who did Ducky look like when he was younger?" to which Gibbs responds with a small hint of a smile, "Ilya Kuryakin".  :smiley:
    R.I.P. David McCallum
  • Options
    Another Ilya Kuryakin fan. Sad to hear of David's passing. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was 'much watch' TV for 60's Baby Boomers with a passion for James Bond, Derek Flint, and Matt Helm flicks, the British TV series "The Avengers" and "Secret Agent", as well as the assorted TV shows that borrowed heavily from the Bond series and Man From U.N.C.L.E.
    Speaking of old spy TV series from the 60s' - how many remember the short lived series starring Robert Goulet as a spy in the series "Blue Light". If you're lucky you can find the DVD "I Deal In Danger" which is actually the pilot episode turned into a feature film.
  • Options
    MontecristoMontecristo Master
    edited October 2023
    Then there was the unmatched “The Prisoner” with former “Danger Man,” the late Patrick McGoohan.

Be seeing you.
  • Options
    I always liked Coronet Blue.
    There was another show with the same basic plot in either the 90s or early 2000s but I can't remember the name.