Home General

What Are You Buying With Your Stimulus Check?

Once I get my check, I'm going to buy a new pipe from a United States based, artisan pipe carver - either one in stock or a commissioned one. Then I will look at replacing the tobacco I've smoked. The majority of the money will go into my savings account.

What are you guys going to do?

Comments

• Retired. Won’t get one. Maybe going under the bus.
  • @motie2
    If you are on Social Security you should get one. 
  • Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited April 2020
    Bourbon & Save. 

Kinda sounds like a bank I'd go to.
  • @pappyjoe -- C'est vrai? Is it true?
  • Not necessarily a stimulus check, but each week I toss my spare change in to a jar. I look forward to filling said jar and using the extra cash to buy something for myself......pipe tobacco.  It's silly but with three kids all the money usually goes to the more important things in life.  Since there is no school right now, and I am out of work and acting as teacher dad, I thought it would be a good math assignment to have the kids add up different monetary values using the coins.......after a good hour or so of the kids stacking little piles of coins my wife walked into the room and said "wow! Look at all this extra money! I can't wait to spend it on something for the family!" Lol. Goodby tobacco stash. You will be missed but you have gone to a better place.......I keep telling myself. 😁
  • @motie2
    this is from a story on Yahoo Finance...

When will I get my stimulus money?

When you actually get your money can vary. The first group would include people who have already given their bank account information to the IRS for the direct deposit of tax refunds on 2018 or 2019 tax returns. 

In addition, Social Security beneficiaries who filed federal tax returns that included direct deposit information would be part of that first group. 

The second wave of money could hit bank accounts as early as the week of April 20 for a group of people who receive Social Security benefits via direct deposit but may not make enough money to be required to file a federal income tax return in 2018 or 2019. Most in this group will not need to file any extra forms to receive this money. 

• @PappyJoe

Fingers crossed........
  • @motie2
    The following is from the IRS FAQ section about the payments. 

Eligibility and General Information

Use tab to go to the next focusable element

U.S. residents will receive the Economic Impact Payment of $1,200 for individual or head of household filers, and $2,400 for married filing jointly if they are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a work eligible Social Security number with adjusted gross income up to:

• $75,000 for individuals
    • $112,500 for head of household filers and
    • $150,000 for married couples filing joint returns

Taxpayers will receive a reduced payment if their AGI is between:

• $75,000 and $99,000 if their filing status was single or married filing separately
    • 112,500 and $136,500 for head of household
    • $150,000 and $198,000 if their filing status was married filing jointly

The amount of the reduced payment will be based upon the taxpayers specific adjusted gross income.

Eligible retirees and recipients of Social Security, Railroad Retirement, disability or veterans' benefits as well as taxpayers who do not make enough money to normally have to file a tax return will receive a payment. This also includes those who have no income, as well as those whose income comes entirely from certain benefit programs, such as Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Retirees who receive either Social Security retirement or Railroad Retirement benefits will also receive payments automatically.

• Somebody who lived in our neighborhood (a couple of moves ago) once told me that they'd been in trouble often enough that if they ever opened a bank account again, they would soon be arrested for doing so.
    I'm guessing that she (and other such offenders) will be getting a paper check with a picture of Trump's signature on it some time after most of the rest of the country gets their direct deposit.
  • Stocking up on tobacco.
  • Paying the rent and try to keep my business of 34 years from disappearing!!
  • Wait and see.... lets get the check first.
  • Making a house payment so I’m not kicked out on the street doing bad things for pipes and pipe tobacco😳
  • We're holding onto ours for now and waiting to see how things go. If everything seems fine, we hope to tear up our carpet and refinish the floor below before the baby arrives. Anything else will be used for the baby most likely, since I doubt we will be able to do a shower before he arrives. Starting a family during these times has been quite a challenge, and in some ways it's kept us from being able to share the joy with family. Technology helps, as we were able to do the gender reveal party live over facebook video with our extended family, but it can only do so much.
  • Magwell for my Glock 19 and a new holster. The rest will be saved or used on diapers and formula lol
  • I’m very fortunate that both my wife and I are still working. She in health care and myself being able to work from home. We will be socking ours aside to see what the future brings.