Home General
Options

Unsung Heroes Of The Coronavirus Pandemic

edited April 2020 in General
I'm sure we all share an unwavering respect for those doctors, nurses, paramedics, policemen, and firemen who are on the front lines of this current pandemic, putting their lives in danger every day this virus continues to plague the Nation. I've seen heartfelt instances of citizens breaking out in spontaneous applause as the doctors and nurses enter the hospital. And that same level of respect goes for the National Guard and every branch of the service who have also come to the aide of the Country.
But there is an active workforce we take for granted and don't revere as heroes even though they perform a vital service we can't live without. And they are the grocery store cashiers and stockers who help us keep food on our tables. Most of these workers receive paltry paychecks a bit over minimum wage.
The average cashier comes in contact with more people in a single eight hour shift than some of those doctors, nurses, and first responders. Yet their level of protection has not always been a high priority. In recent days I've seen additional safety measures addressed with the inclusion of a plastic screen between the customer and cashier. But that just happened recently - and this has been labeled a pandemic for a while now.
So just as we show our appreciation to the doctors, nurses, and first responders who put their lives in jeopardy keeping us safe and saving lives, it would be a nice gesture on our part to also show our appreciation to those people working diligently to keep the food on our tables ... even if they can't always keep toilet paper on the shelves.   

Comments