Home General
Options

Oh My God ... My Lane Limited "Wild Hare" Is Discontinued!!!

I've been a pipe smoker for over 50 years, yet I've remained a steadfast aromatic smoker throughout those decades, never graduating to the adult table. I've tried non-aromatics, but just don't enjoy them. Apparently I have an insatiable sweet tooth that can't be satisfied by straight Virginia, Va-Per, or English blends. They don't cut it for me. But thankfully there are aromatics abound. But today my world came tumbling down as I was preparing to make a small order at Pipes&Cigars, which was to include one of my favorite blends - Lane Limited "Wild Hare". To my horror the blend has been discontinued. In a blind panic I began searching all the on-line tobacco stores I frequent ... and discovered the same thing everywhere I looked. Son-of-a-bitch ... no more "Wild Hare"!
I'm currently experiencing the same sense of loss the adults and sophisticated smokers felt when the Frog Morton series and Dunhill blends suffered a similar fate. There is no joy tonight at the aromatic kiddie's table as I sit puffing away at one of my last remaining tins. This can no longer be my 'go to' blend, as I'll have to dole it out in small doses to make it last.   
Lane Limited has set my "Wild Hare" free to hop and romp through the meadows and thicket, leaving me to cherish every remaining bowl as if it were my last ... which it soon will be.
Damn, I almost feel as sad as the day my dog died.   

Comments

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii
    I to have felt the pain of enjoying a blend and then having it just go away.

If I might make a suggestion or two, try the Bjarne Viking blend, Erik the Red. Admittedly it does have a cherry flavor in addition to the vanilla, but it's pretty good.
    Erik Stokkebye's 4th Generation 1957 was also a good vanilla blend when I smoked two tins of it. 
    Lane Limited Vanilla Black Cavendish is a very good vanilla bulk blend.

• Options
    I’ll second @PappyJoe’s recommendation of Lane VBC; it’s wonderful by itself or as part of a frankenblend.
  • Options
    I love Wild Hare!!! I have an unopened tin here yet. They can't discontinue this great blend. I rebell!!
  • Options
    Is vbc like while hare?!
  • Options
    Dang, I wanted to give Wild Hare a try myself.
  • Options
    I've always had a hard time describing the flavor of "Wild Hare". It's not quite vanilla, caramel, honey,, or chocolate ... although any of those flavorings could be part of the make-up. But to me it just tasted sweet like cotton candy. Which is why I enjoyed it so much. No real dominant flavor. Then yesterday while basking in the afternoon sun I loaded the bowl with what's left of one of my few remaining tins and I was hit by a blast of flavor that was immediately recognizable. For once I could distinguish the flavor.
    Imagine sitting around the campfire in the evening and the flames have died down to a pile of bright red glowing embers. Perfect time to roast marshmallows. Well just as I lit the pipe and pulled in the first drag for my char light my taste buds came alive and the flavor of a burnt roasted marshmallow washed over my tongue. You know that wonderful flavor when your marshmallow catches fire and you have to blow it out before chucking it in your mouth. Well that was the flavor I got. So now I have a point of reference when someone asks me what "Wild Hare" tastes like. Toasted Marshmallows with just a touch of char around the edges.  
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @ghostsofpompeii
    Guess I am glad I did not procure any then...slightly charred toasted marshmallow...icky.  Better yet, I don't have to look for any.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @ghostsofpompeii
    Have you tried Russ's "Candy Corn"?  It is marshmallowesque, maybe not the charred/toasted part though.  I don't recall, it's been awhile since I tried it.  I got it as a free add-on from P&C back before the "deeming rules"  when they could do such things.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @RockyMountainBriar Didn't mean to make it sound unappealing. Should have just said a toasted marshmallow. And yes I have tried Russ' "Candy Corn". It's actually part of my regular rotation, along with "Warm Up", "Ice Cream Sundae" "Cinnamon Roll", "Spring Training", and "Fudge Cake". I have quite a few of his aromatic blends and for the most part have been happy with all of them.