Home Pipes & Tools
Options

High End Pipes

Does anyone have any high end pipes? If so, are the worth the price or are they comparable to others?

Comments

• Options
    Define "high end pipes"
    The most expensive pipe I have is a Rinaldo Triade YYY 4 briar. The sticker on the box said $495.00 (but I won it in a long smoke competition). It is a great smoker and is in my weekly rotation. I also have a Zack Hamric Snapping Turtle which is a great artisan pipe that I paid $275 for. It's the pipe I most often use for smoking flakes. Then I have this wonderful Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson that I won this month. Other than that I have what I consider to be two "high end" meerschaum - my U.S. Coast Guard meerschaum carved by Servi and a Bolgi #1 Sailing Ship. I also have a La Savinelli Giubileo d'Oro which dates back to the 1970s and were reputed to be the equivalent of a Dunhill. I was told that brand new it would have sold for in the $600-$700 price range. 

So it really all depends on how you define high end.

ship_pipe_041016
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Does anyone have any high end pipes?
    Yes

If so, are the worth the price
    Sometimes, sometimes not it just depends on what matters to you and what you're into at the time. If you're looking to upgrade look for estate pipes by carvers/brands who are not hot at the moment and avoid trends.

or are they comparable to others?
    Obviously there are many factors that go in to this question but on many on many high and uber high end pipes the first thing you notice is the stem. When I chomped down on my first Dunhill, the stem was nothing like the Sav's, Pete's and other pipes I had been smoking and some of the pipes from Danish, European and NAC's  I owned were even thinner and more comfortable.

• Options
    Like @pappyjoe, it depends on your definition of "high-end". I've got an old Castello Sea-Rock Dublin (an estate that I bought at the Chicago Pipe Show last year) that would probably cost me $400 to get a brand-new equivalent. It is an absolute dream to smoke. I've got an old Stanwell that I won in a pipe smoking comp long ago, that was probably near the top of their price range, then - it also is a beautiful smoke. I've only got 3 real "artisan" pipes - a Tinsky, a Tim West, and a Chuck Sands. None were over $200, but all smoke beautifully. They are in an entirely different league from things like Grabows or cobs - and I enjoy my cobs.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe - a cob can be high end also. Look at the price differences on their website. Some cost more than others.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I would agree with everyone else. What's your definition of high end? I have a few pipes in the $200 dollar range that are great smokers but even my basket pipes I started with are great smokers. Most of my more expensive pipes that I own are ones I got for a steal as estates. I do civil war re-enacting and found a hand carved meerschaum soldier that I wanted and would cost about $400 to get made but I found it as an estate for $100 and jumped on it. It smoked wonderfully but no better than any of my other pipes. Also some of my cobs are great smokers and I sometimes enjoy them more because I don't feel like I have to baby them because if they get damaged I can inexpensive let get another.
  • Options
    Oops forgot to mention my more expensive pipes are the ones I find value in the way they look versus the more plain Jane pipes that I didn't spend that much on. Even though I love estate pipes because you can get some killer steals.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I do civil war re-enacting
    You might be aware of this book but it probably belongs in your library
    http://www.briarbooks.com/The_Pipeman_s_Daily_Fare.html
    When Ben had the book launch at CPCC a couple of years ago he displayed an impressive collection of some of the pieces featured in the book. I haven't spent a lot of time reading the book but it's another very high quality publication of Briar Books Press.

Speaking of meers, I think most guys treat modern Turkish meers apart from the older Austrian meers and far apart from collectible briars. And then you have the antique meers pipes that are a hobby themselves.

I've always had a hard time classifying pipes in my own collection, how can you compare a humble "Factory" Sea Rock or Shell with a magnificent straight grain DR or Fiammata or an artistic freehand with interesting grain by a lesser known "Artisan" with an more ho hum, run of the mill Jess, Teddy or other top line carver? I guess you just have to love the pieces for what they are and how well they fit in your collection.

• Options
    Respectfully, @pappyjoe, $33 for a freehand cob may be at the high end of cob prices, but it's not a high-end pipe by any stretch of the imagination. Doesn't make 'em bad; doesn't mean you can't enjoy them.I like cobs; they are classic Americana, and I love 'em with the old codger blends and other burleys. I would recommend one to a new pipe smoker over something like a Dr Grabow any day. But they don't hold a candle to my better briars.
  • Options
    @daveinlax Thanks for the link.  I  actually got that book as soon as it was released and love it.  The history in it is a great read and I reccommend any one into pipes read it.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe - it's all a matter of perspective. When you are looking at just cobs, you have a smokeable pipe starting around $3 and the most expensive at $33, then the $33 is the high end pipe. I never said they hold a candle to a better briar, I was just pointing out that "high end" is subjective to the person doing the evaluation unless it is specified that "high end' means most expensive in the world.