Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Walker Briar Works Forever Cob Stems

I decided to spoil myself this Christmas and pick up two forever cob stems from Walker Briar Works. Now, I love my cobs, but while the plastic stems have their appeal, there's nothing like having a real vulcanite or lucite pipe stem. There's a reason why I tend to gravitate towards my cobs like the Charles Towne or the Emerald, as the tougher stems give an added security for when I smoke them. 

I've had my eye on Walker Briar Work's forever stems for some time. They're a bit pricy (more than the cost of a cob by itself), which is why it took me over a year to finally bite the bullet and try them out. The nice thing, though, is if one of my cobs burns out, I can just switch the stem over to a new cob.

Ordering was simple, and the shipping was pretty fast considering there was a holiday this week. The stems just arrived, so I thought I'd post a few pictures of them for my fellow TPLers to see and decide for themselves if they want to try one.

I ended up picking up the 3 inch lucite regal (the bright one), and the 3 1/2 inch lucite spear (the darker one). They come in a wide variety of colors, but I stuck with red, as it's a good stem color. You can also get the stems in black, and they're a few bucks cheaper, but I wanted to add some variety to my cobs.

Here's a comparison shot with three country gentleman cob's side by side, so you can see how each looks with the same pipe. From left to right, you have: an original Missouri Meerschaum stem, the lucite regal, and the lucite spear.  As you can see, the lucites are wider than the plastic stem, and both are slightly longer. The spear gives the country gentleman cob the feeling of a Canadian pipe. 

Overall, I'm very pleased with them. I've already given both stems a test run, and they work well. I plan on writing a full review for my blog, but I highly recommend them.

Comments