Home General
Options

Ambidextrous -- NOT!

edited December 2019 in General
Just recently discovered something unimportant yet noticeable.
I'm right-handed, and I usually hold my pipes in my right hand while poking the tobacco into it with the fingers of my left hand. For some reason the other day I took off only my right glove (it's cold up here in Maine, high of 18°F a couple days ago) when I decided to have a pipe. It didn't take very long to find my right hand -- the one I use constantly for so many things -- was clumsy and awkward at pinching up the tobacco and placing it in the bowl.
VERY clumsy and awkward!
With my stronger and more accurate hand!
Which observation left me wondering just how many things else I might be better at with my off hand than my strong hand. Back when I was actively teaching Coasties how to shoot the various things which go BOOM!, I got to where I could shoot the .45 with my left hand just about as well as with my right hand (as a "permanent" expert shooter), but the left didn't get more accurate than the right. Never tried shooting the M16 left-handed again after doing one demo -- probably the effect on my subconscious of watching hot brass flying past my right cheekbone I suppose (which made me sympathetic to southpaw shooters ever since). I still think we should have developed a riot shotgun course.
During my years as a typesetter, I often noticed that some of my typos were caused by the right finger but on the wrong hand (S's for L's, &c.) striking the keyboard. Not sure how or if that's related.
Carving and other wood chisels, definitely NOT for my left hand (except when tapping with a carver's mallet -- the mallet also NOT for my left hand, since I value the fingers on my right one to remain UN-smashed!).
Guitars and mandolins I happen to suck equally at with both hands. I thus remain as a bottom-of-the-dungeon Bass singer. I'm working on learning hand drums these days, albeit slowly. 
 Anybody else find surprises with the dexterity (better or worse) of their "weak" hand versus their "strong" hand?

Comments

• Options
    I use my weak hand — the left — to open jars. Dunno why.....
  • Options
    Same as @motie2 Also found out your strongest fingers are the 2 middle fingers... That is to say, the ring finger and the long middle one next to it (-10 pts.)
    Opening jars and the like, I always use my thumb and those 2 fingers. Usually works for me...
  • Options
    I recently have acquired a case of “trigger finger” in the ring finger of my right hand...I am right handed.  I did not realize how much “strength” is in the ring finger when using tools, opening jars, etc. until this dang “trigger finger” garbage set in🙁.  I do a few things with my left hand, but I am not dexterous at all with my left.  I do hold my pipe with my left to fill it with my right most of the time, but I switch back and forth even on the same bowl fill🤔.  I tamp and light with the pipe in the left and tool/lighter in my right.  
  • Options
    I had trigger finger — snap, snap, snap — for a couple of weeks. Rather than going to a doctor — I’ve had quite enough of them — I slowly worked the finger — open, close, open, close — and after another couple of weeks it got better. ‘Twas painful for a while, but it’s almost better now.

• Options
    Although I'm right handed I find I do considerably more things with my left hand than I realized. For instance when pouring tea from the kettle I always use my left hand to hold the kettle ... which drives my wife crazy, because I have the handle and spout pointed in the opposite direction from the way she places it back in the stove burner. I use my left hand to pour the tea while holding the cup in my right. And when carrying groceries into the house I have my left arm weighted down with as many bags as I can possibly carry while my right hand carries something like a jug of milk. I guess being a keyboard player you use both hands without thinking much about it. My fingering is no where as fast with my left hand as my right. But as for writing - I use my right hand. If I try writing with my left I'd never be able to read what I wrote.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii said: But as for writing - I use my right hand. If I try writing with my left I'd never be able to read what I wrote.

I can't even do block printing with my left hand that's readable without a great deal of staring at it to work out the funny shapes.

• Options
    @motie2
    My ”trigger finger” has been going on a year.  It has never locked to where I have had to pry it open.  During the day it is pretty good, but when I get up in the morning, it takes a few flexes to get it to stop hanging up.  I have not been able to wear my ring my finger has been slightly swelled.  I went to the doctor, but he said to give it some time before any surgery, it might heal itself....no luck yet.
  • Options
    Sounds like good advice. I like a doctor that doesn't rush into things.
    Generally, if you go to a surgeon, you're gonna get cut. Their motto is "heal with steel."

But, always remember the first lesson taught in medical school?
    "A cured patient is a lost customer" 
  • Options
    @motie2 that's probably the lingo has changed to where they now refer to us as "clients" instead of patients.
  • Options
    I find that when I smoke my pipe, I smoke and hold my pipe on my left side, which is my off hand. I think it's mostly because I tend to use my right hand for typing and using my mouse, so my left hand takes care of keeping my pipe safe.