Home The Pack
Options

Chicago Pipe Show 2020 Plans

The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club is committed to hold the Chicago Pipe Show on May 2 & 3, 2020. We continue to work with Pheasant Run regarding the Show and our contracts with Pheasant Run for the next 4 years. We are also considering other venues in the area in the event Pheasant Run is not available. There will be a Chicago Pipe Show in 2020, We will update any changes in location of the 2020 Show.

Craig Cobine, Show Director

Comments

• Options
    The Chicago Pipe Show is typically on Saturday and Sunday of the first weekend of May.  Historically, we have other events from Wednesday through Friday. We will post a schedule when we have the details ironed out.
    Winton
  • Options
    I definitely plan on being there for at least Saturday. One of these years, I hope to stay at the Pheasant Inn and experience the whole weekend's events. Probably not next year, but we'll see. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited November 2019
    Message from the mailing list of United Pipe Clubs of America:

<< The Daily Herald reported last week that the Pheasant Run Resort will be laying off 75% of its staff, placing the property up for sale.  
    How will this impact the 2020 Chicagoland Pipe Show?  
    The newspaper article states that the venue will honor its commitments thru February 2020.  Since the pipe show is held each May, that may leave the show without a venue.  The sponsors of the show posted on Facebook, "Be assured that the CPCC will do everything it’s power to make sure the 2020 Pipe Show happens."
    The Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club was unaware of this issue until the newspaper article was published. They have attempted to find out how this will impact the pipe show.  According to Chuck Martin, "No one at the property has any information to share, and the management company isn't returning our calls.  We are at this moment attempting to find a new venue. We will keep you appraised as events unfold."
    Needless to say, this directly affects the UPCA and its annual National Pipe Smoking Contest.  At this point in time we cannot say where, when or if the national contest will be held this year.  Like everyone else, we are waiting to hear about further developments from the CPCC.  
    The UPCA will continue to support our member clubs, and this will not impact our regional contests.  We will also have our 2020 contest pipes available to our member clubs for pre-order sometime in January.  
    I will update information about the Chicago Show on our Facebook group. And will send out another email when there is a significant status change.

Tom Wolfe,
  • Options
    Maybe it will move closer to my neck of the woods🙂
    Probably not😢
  • Options
    The Chicago Pipe Collectors  Club Is working on alternative locations and have found some, but it is a continuing process as as we search for the best combination of space and accommodations.
    Stay tuned. 

• Options
    I have been reviewing the comments on the various pipe forums. I like what someone said, 

To have an organized event of ANY kind involving tobacco in 21st century America is amazing, never mind a world-class one... and to have a small army of long-suffering, tireless enthusiasts who are willing to go through the logistical hell of organizing it is more amazing still.

Based off discussions with Management, the 2020 Chicago Pipe Show will be at Pheasant Run. We are also looking for other locations for the future, depending on the status of Pheasant Run. The two biggest criteria are a room that can handle all the vendors and customers that we usually have at the pipe show, and a smoking tent. We are also going to consider other criteria, like restaurants, rooms, distance, etc.

Also, the activities in the smoking tent should be very similar to former years. If we did it in the past, we are likely to do it again.
  • Options
    @Winton Thanks for the update. I'm glad that at least the 2020 event has secured a location, and I'll definitely be there to show my support. I know this whole ordeal has to be stressful, but we appreciate all the work that goes into this event.
  • Options
    Date: 1/12/2020
    Subject: Update on Chicago Pipe Show
    https://www.unitedpipeclubs.org/content.aspx?page_id=722&club_id=90797&emtid=130657293842

Chicagoland Pipe Show is still on.  Location to be determined.

The show's sponsors are determined that the show will go on, and that the show will still be held on the first weekend in May.

For those of you that are not on Facebook, new information has been released yesterday by the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors' Club (CPCC) about the Chicagoland Pipe Show.  Since the show is the host of the UPCA National Pipe Smoking Contest, I want to keep all of our members up to date on the status of the show.

In November, Pheasant Run announced layoffs of its staff and placed the hotel up for auction.  The auction is now scheduled for mid-February.

The CPCC has a 4-year contract to hold the show at Pheasant Run.  With the sale of the resort, the fate of the pipe show will be in the hands of the new owners.  If they decide to honor the contract, the show will go on as normal.  But if they do not, then a new venue will need to be found.

The CPCC has been actively searching for an alternate venue since November.  They have at least one alternate site selected, but cannot finalize any deals until the new owners take over Pheasant Run.  This means that we probably won't have a definite venue until late February to mid-March.

Meanwhile, another twist has been added.  The Pheasant Run Resort is no longer taking reservations for rooms for the dates of the show.  When I tried to confirm my existing reservation, I discovered that they no longer had it on their books.  The resort stated in an email, "The Pipe Show is not being held at our Resort this Year.." 

In the meantime, we will wait for CPCC to finalize the show plans.

Tom Wolfe,
    UPCA President
  • Options
    To my amazement the communication that motie2 posted from Tom Wolfe about the Chicago Pipe show is fairly accurate.
    There has been a lot of disinformation posted previously around the web by some chicken little's who desperately need lives.
    While its been frustrating having to deal with it at this late date, we (the CPCC) are committed to make the show happen.
  • Options
    @motie2 someday when the smoke has cleared over this year I will give you a little insight into United Pipe Clubs
  • Options
    @mapletop

OK, I'm all ears......
  • Options

Show Update 1.25.2020

At the present time, we are still contractually obligated to Pheasant Run until the new owners are established and we hear from them on their desire to host the show. Until such a time, we cannot confirm plans for an alternate venue.

In the meantime, we have bids from at least 2 other venues for the show. There will be a show the first weekend of May.

Please book your airfare. Once matters are settled with Pheasant Run, we will advise which hotel to make your reservations. We will provide details ASAP.

• Options
    Today
    After all of the hard work put into the Chicago Pipe Colectors Club's effort to have a show in 2020 because the original venue pulled the plug.

An announcement will be posted later this afternoon that due to concerns over Coronavirus 
    and all that it entails, The Chicago Pipe Show Has Been Canceled for 2020
  • Options
    I really am saddened at this. I could not attend, but I understand both the loss of not having the show AND the health issues associated with the situation.  My hope is that Chicago comes back next year bigger and stronger than ever...
  • Options
    @Winton , I'm sad to hear the news, but I think the right call was made here. If the next Chicago Pipe Show needs to do well, I think putting it off until next year is the wise move. I will certainly be there to support the show and the community.