Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Bulk or tinned?

Do you prefer a bulk blend or tinned tobacco and why?

Comments

• Options
    This is a question the been turning over for some time. With bulk you get 16 oz to the pound where a packaged tobacco you get whatever quantity they decide to put in the package. If you are buying locally you can smell the tobacco and see how it is cut. Tinned or packaged tobacco comes in more varieties than your local could stock and it can be stored unopened for years. The downside is that you don't know what you are getting exactly until you open the package. I buy both but I wonder if ya'll had any strong preferences and why?
  • Options
    I buy both, there are just a plethora of tobaccos that are either one or the other.  I will generally buy bulk if available as it is usually less expensive.  Sometimes I am also a sucker for (what I deem is) nice tin art, although the new tin labeling rules/laws have impacted that drastically.
  • Options
    I buy mostly tins because the blends I like comes packaged that way. 
  • Options
    I buy and cellar both tinned and bulk blends.
    Many bulk tobaccos are not sold tinned, so if you like the blend, that how it comes.
    Many blends are sold both tinned and bulk and I would note that many blends that are sold both ways tend to be better quality and tasting from the tin.
    Great example of this is Comoy's Cask 11, the bulk is OK but the tinned is much better tasting and is even a different cut.
  • Options
    I buy both bulk and tinned but @mapletop is right, some blends taste better in tins.
  • Options
    It all depends for me. If I'm trying a new blend, I usually go with a tin. If it's a blend I love, I'm going to buy it in bulk because it's economical.