Home Tobacco Talk

Artisan Small Batch Blenders

I am a fan of The Country Squire’s tobaccos. Which got me curious about what other brick-and-mortars are doing their own artisan, small-batch, hand-blending. Whom do y’all recommend? 

Comments

• In the Chicago area Iwan Ries has a number of house blends, they a prepackaged but they do have sample jars to try blends for 25 cents, but beware Chicago has some of the highest taxes on tobacco
    There is a place not far from Savannah GA called Verderys that was pretty good though I have not been there in a few years, as I recall they were very pricey.
    And there is the Pipe Rack in Akron OH, they had some pretty good blends, been awhile since I've been there as well, but I remember they had a great oriental forward English blend called Manor house.

• DanfriedmanDanfriedman Master
    edited September 2019
    My opinion is that you could be a great small-batch blender yourself. I would direct you to a book by Steven Rosenthal called A SimplySmart Guide To Pipe Tobacco Blending. It can be found in print and e-book formats. Most of the "Custom Blends" sold in shops are made from Lane and other base tobacco that can be bought in bulk (as little as an ounce or more) from any online retailer. I use a lot of BCA, RLP-6 and MV-1000 in my blending. You can make a blend that is exactly to your taste and change it as you like. 
  • REPOST

A SimplySmart Guide To Pipe Tobacco Blending -This is the best 99 cents you will spend if you are a pipe smoker. A pipe smoker for over fifty years Steve shares with you how he blends tobacco. He tells you about the types of tobacco and their characteristics. You will learn what you need to know about pipe tobacco blending. He gives you dozens of blends and the basic concepts so you can blend with the tobacco you have available. People always tell you to keep it simple, but rarely show you how. In any of Steve Rosenthal’s SimplySmart books, Steve shows you exactly how to do it! He shares with you some stories and tips in making pipe smoking more enjoyable. This book is also a guide for pipe smoking in general. Steve reviews pipes, accessories and the basics of how to smoke a pipe. For any new pipe smoker, this portion of the book will be invaluable.
    https://www.amazon.com/SimplySmart-Guide-Pipe-Tobacco-Blending-ebook/dp/B01LHVMB8O
  • Thank you @motie2 for the repost. This is a great book for people getting into blending.
  • two images and two .PDF books from my e-library on  pipes & tobaccos &c.:

• I found this in the Internet Archive. Amazingly, most of the links still work....

The Tobacconist University Tobacco College

https://web.archive.org/web/20131017080256/http://www.tobacconistuniversity.org/tobacco-college/pipe-tobacco.asp

• Here's an appropriate selection (attached), from the Free Pipe Smoking Library folder.
  • This is a very interesting question.  On one of their podcasts, Jon David of Country Squire talked about how many times a new customer would come in with a special "house blend" he had purchased at another tobacconist only to learn that it was nothing but 1Q.  Is there a definitive list of tobacconists who genuinely do their own blending?
  • MIXING YOUR OWN BLEND (source unknown)

So you've tried some of the base tobaccos and a few premade blends and think you're ready to mix your own custom blend? That's fantastic. Truly, this is definitely our favorite part of the entire world of pipe smoking. You're officially a brother of the briar once you're making your own blends. How could we ever truthfully be best friends if we've never exchanged signature blends? We can't. We just can't.

Just kidding. We're just excited that you've finally found your way to the Holy Grail of pipesmanship. What did you see once you peeled back the curtain of your own ego and gazed into the inky blackness of your soul? Or better yet, what saw you?

No, but seriously, this is cool. Have you decided what your base tobacco will be? That's very important so here's a quick, general guide to the types, some flavoring tips, and how they influence a blend.

Virginia Base: Virginias are a common base for tobacco blends that you can mix with Burleys, Orientals, or even other types of Virginias (typically a Red or Yellow). Flavors like Cherry, Vanilla, Rum, Maple, Hazelnut, or Peach can really enhance the sweet, citrusy taste of Virginia blends. Virginia is considered a "light" tobacco high in sugar and low in nicotine.

Burley Base: This base goes well with just about any other blend type.  Much like a Virginia, adding Cherry, Vanilla, Rum, Maple, Hazelnut, or Peach flavoring bodes well with this full-bodied base.  Beware though; Burley is definitely a "heavy" tobacco that's high in nicotine.

Black Cavendish Base: If you decide to go for this mellow bodied base blend, try mixing it with aromatics like Virginias and Burleys. It typically doesn't get blended with Latakias or Periques but hey, whatever floats your boat. You can sweeten up this rich blend by adding coffee or peach flavoring.

Perique: Perique can be a little spicy for some, so it's used sparingly. Perique is featured with a light Virginia base to create what is known as a VaPer blend. It also goes well with an unflavored Burley but remember, Perique is also very high in nicotine.

Latakia Base: Orientals pair well with this aromatic base blend. Whiskey, Chocolate, Vanilla, and Sambuca flavors enrich its earthy and smoky characteristics.

Oriental/Turkish: People typically use these as a compliment to a Virginia or Latakia base to add depth and complexity to the blend. Mix in some Vanilla flavoring for a satisfying smoke. Oriental is low in nicotine.

Each tobacco has differing amounts of sugar, nicotine, and other factors that completely change the nature of their interactions. Of course your preferences and tastes are the only real guide here. After a certain amount of experimentation you'll have a unique blend all your own, so the question then becomes, what are you gonna name it? 

• If you want a source for Latakia leaf, I recommend http://www.beetradingtobacco.com/
  • The Tobacco Barn out here in Lake Forest, CA has some great blends.