Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Captain Black

2»

Comments

• Options
    Since my earlier post, I've had the extreme pleasure of try Captain Black Dark! I just love it!!!! My new go to tobacco!!!
  • Options
    I know everyone will probably think I'm a lunatic but my favorite Captain Black is grape.  Mostly I think other CB blends are ok but I tend to think this is what aftershave must taste like in tobacco form.  Of course my favorite tobacco is Mixture 79 as I've said before.  Yep, lunatic. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021

@MatthewJames No I don't think you're a lunatic, I really enjoy the grape blend as well. Wouldn't say it's my favorite Captain Black blend ... that would probably be either Royal or Gold. But I will go so far as to say it my favorite fruit flavored aromatic. I liken it to smoking Captain Black Regular with a grape Jolly Rancher in my mouth. Or drinking a NEHI Grape soda while smoking.

I smoke Mixture 79 on occasion as well but think that has more of the aftershave quality (or better still floral potpourri flavor) than any of the Captain Black blends. The licorice pouch note of Mixture 79 doesn't translate to the flavor ... I just get that floral note.   

• Options
    Try Lanes rlp6 if you like CB regular, 1Q for Royal. Many of Lanes bulks are near ringers. If they are side by side you cant tell them apart, you'll save some bux also. If you are really stretched financially, try Smokers Pride. They are distantly simular. 
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Lunatic? Possibly a madman. Just kidding. Don't short sell the grape. It's may be the most coveted fruit on the planet. I've seen people smash them up and charge hundreds of dollars a bottle for it.
  • Options
    I started my pipe smoking nearly 30 years ago with Captain Black original. It's like an old friend that I occasionally run into from time to time. Though it is no longer my daily smoke of choice, I do keep the Original, Copper, Red Sky tinned and Midnight Gold tinned in my rotation.
  • Options
  • Options
    I like the White pouch blend& blue pouch blend.
  • Options
    Over the decades I've smoked most of the Captain Black blends, but recently I've enjoyed both their Copper and their Grape blends.
  • Options
    1Q was my go to for years, I think it might be Blue or White. I used to buy it from Ehrlich's in Boston as Black & Gold. Can't take the vanilla or humectants anymore! 
  • Options
    As I stated before I love Captain Black and if there comes a time when I can no longer order tobacco on line I guess I'd be satisfied with Captain Black for the duration. But the only complaint I have about Captain Black blends is they seem to dry out my mouth more than most other blends. But so long as I have something to drink while smoking it's not much of a problem.