Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Sutliff's Creme Brulee

Recently, someone on one of the forums I use, offered 1 lb of Crème Brulee from Sutliff to anyone that wanted it. He stated that he enjoyed it, but apparently had too much Scotch before placing his next tobacco order. The package arrived today and I tried my first bowl of it. I used my pipe from JMG, which is dedicated to aromatics. Stanley, expect something in the mail soon.

This tobacco is just like it's name. It smelled very sweet in the package and tasted sweet all through the smoke. I was worried that it would be hard to smoke, since it was wet. But, I only used two matches to light and it burned consistently all the way down. I think that this blend was well named. It was very sweet, but I never experienced any tongue burn. The taste was consistent all through the smoke. The blend reminds me of the actual desert. It is a little too sweet for a regular smoke. I only have the actual dessert when I am going out for dinner at a fine restaurant. 

I have tried many aromatic blends, that need a litte more flavor. I think adding some of this blend to other aromatics that you might enjoy. That will increase the sweet factor. I have several aromatics I enjoy, but this might really help them. The blend is mild, so no danger of getting a buzz from it. 

If anyone at the CCPD wants to try some, I will bring this to the next meeting to share.

Comments

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    We've had numerous posts reviewing or commenting on Creme Brûlée in the past. It's even part of the legendary "Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend" by @ghostsofpompeii which originally appeared here on ThisPipeLife.

The name is a reference to Sherlock Holmes' landlady. Since Holmes probably smoked strong English tobacco, naming a sweet aromatic after him would be ungentlemanly.....

The blend consists of three Sutliff bulk tobaccos blended together as follows: 

• Three parts (or 3 oz.) Sutliff Vanilla Custard
    • Two parts (or 2 oz.) Sutliff Chocolate Mousse
    • One part (or 1 oz.) Sutliff Crème Brûlée

Comments:

You may substitute Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce for the Creme Brûlée, as the two are very similar, with the Molto Dolce being a bit sweeter.

Historical note: The original recipe called for “….a pinch or two of Sutliff Irish Creme.”  @Ghostsofpompeii says it could be omitted without harming the blend. I tried substituting E.A. Carey's Irish Creme. Made a barely perceptible change in the smoke, but it was perceptible..... The blend is equally delicious, with or without.

• Options
    I often hear people talk about the difficulty in lighting a blend like Creme Brulee and Molto Dolce but I've been very fortunate, and have never really experienced any difficulty. I don't dry out a blend for any period of time before smoking it ... and I'm mainly an aromatic smoker. And both Creme Brulee and Molto Dolce are clearly the worse culprits in terms of moisture. The tobacco literally shimmers it's so heavily cased. Both leave a sticky but delicious smelling residue on your fingers when packing the pipe. And they both crackle when smoking - a sure sign of moisture. But other than the initial char light I haven't found myself relighting multiple times during the smoke. And believe me, it's not because I'm a seasoned pipe smoker and have mastered the single match lite ... there are several blends I struggle with that are not nearly as moist which require a few additional lights. But oddly for me these two blends have never presented me with a problem.
    Now having written this I've probably jinxed myself and will from this day forward find myself relighting several times with each bowl.
    The one thing I do dislike about Molto Dolce is the blend is so heavily cased tobacco when you open a tin it only appears to be half full, where as most other blends are filled to the top. I always feel as though I've been cheated when opening a tin of Molto Dolce.
  • Options
    Ahhhh!! I've wondered that about Molto Dolce. The only tin of it I bought appeared to be only half-full when I first opened it. I emailed the seller to ask if this was typical for this blend, but was answered with a "settling while shipping and handling" answer.
  • Options
    @AnantaAndroscoggin - Yes. Tobacco is sold by weight. Aromatics like Molto Dolce have higher moisture content so it weighs more. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    When I took up the pipe again after a few decades of not smoking, I began by smoking the English blends and VaPers I enjoyed in the 60's and 70's, but turned to the widely mentioned Molto Dolce. And with that I became an aromatic smoker. I moved on from MD to Maple Street, Barbados Plantation, and other, mostly Lane, blends, but also the Sutliff bulk blends, including Creme Brulee and Vanilla Custard. After. Smoking Frog Morton's Cellar (after it was discontinued) I tried introducing a pinch of a variety of English blends to each bowlful of aromatic. I've done this using Lagonda, Sextant, Nightcap, Fox Hound, and Gaslight. That's where I am today...... But I'm rambling, as I am wont to do.....
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Creme Brulee  is part of my rotation. It is a very relaxing blend for me, and produces a nice thick smoke that is PERFECT for smoke rings... 😉
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I knew Lane had an enormous number of blends, but I had no idea that Sutliff had so many blends..... Really overwhelming.

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/sutliff-pipe-tobacco/