Home The Lounge
Options

Foodie

Ok so I love food.  I'm also pretend chef 🙂. 
I thought it would be fun to post our favorite creations and share the recipe. Then you can share your favorite pipe paring for after the meal. 

Comments

• Options
    You want comfort food? How about a Eye of Round Roast, Potatoes & Carrots cooked in a 10-quart cast iron Dutch Oven. Probably took longer to cook than in an instant pot though. 
    I trim the silver skin off the roast and then season with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and celery seed, and then wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. I like to let it sit on the cutting board for at least an hour. When I'm ready to start the cooking, I preheat the oven to 325 degrees. I pour about 2 tbsp. of grapeseed oil in the bottom of the dutch oven and layer a sliced onion and bell pepper on then bottom. I unwrap the roast and place it on the bed of vegetables. I then mix 1/3 cup of worcestershire sauce and a 1/2 cup of either red wine or dark beer (dark like in Guiness or a good Porter) and pour that over the roast. Put the lid on and slide the pot in the over for about 45 minutes.

For vegetables I like to use baby potatoes (white or red) that you can usually find in a 24 oz. bag and a 16 oz. bag of sliced carrots. Sometimes I will include a 16 oz. pkg of Baby Portabella mushrooms that I slice in half. When the 45 minutes are up, I add the vegetables to the pot and sprinkle a couple of pinches of salt over them. Replace the lid and slide back into the oven for another hour.

Take the pot out of the oven, remove the roast and re-wrap it in the aluminum foil to rest. Check the doneness of the potatoes. If they aren't done, recover the pot and slide it back in the over for another 30-minutes or until done. I usually start thinking whether I want to use the liquid in the pot as an au-jus or whether I want a brown gravy. Traditionally, I would make a roux but when I'm feeling lazy, I will use a packet of Pioneer Brown Gravy mix mixed with 1/2 cup of water and added to the vegetables. Since the pot is hot you can just cover it with the lid and let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken.

Cooking the roast is not an exact science this way but it should be around medium depending on the size. I pull out my electric carving knife and usually cut the roast in thin slices that are perfect for layering on French bread rolls or pistolettes. 

Pair with a good red wine, favorite beer or ale or ice tea. 

For a pipe afterwards, I tend to go with something in the medium strength range and not overly sweet if an aromatic. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Mmmmm sounds really yummy @PappyJoe.  I to enjoy all of my cast iron cookware.  It's the best stuff on earth.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    Two Gladstone Family Recipes -- SWMBO and I have been making these two dishes for over thirty years..... ENJOY!!!!!

Chicken with hot pepper

3 Tbs. soy sauce

1 Tbs. cornstarch

2 large chicken breasts, skinned, boned , cubed

1 Tbs. cooking sherry or rice mirin (I prefer the sherry....)

2 tsp. sugar (work something out....)

1 tsp. rice vinegar (NOT wine vinegar)

peanut oil

1 tsp. crushed hot red pepper (I use pequins, coarsely ground)

1/3 cup sliced green onions or diced onions (green are better....)

1/2 tsp. powdered ginger -or- 1 tsp. freshly ground ginger

rice

----------------

Mix 1 Tbs. soy with cornstarch and chicken. Set aside.

Mix 2 Tbs. soy sauce with cooking sherry, sugar, and rice vinegar. Set aside.

Add peanut oil to hot wok. Fry the red pepper until black. Seriously. 

And you'll want an exhaust fan or open windows.

When red pepper is black (not brown, but black) add the chicken, soy, cornstarch mixture. Stir fry until nearly opaque.

Add onions, ginger, soy sauce, cooking sherry, sugar, and rice vinegar mixture.

Mix well and cook a few minutes until sauce thickens.

Serve with rice.

======================================================================================

We call it "Ashtray Chicken"

1 small can finely chopped green chiles

2 Tbs. soy sauce

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. white vinegar

2 Tbs. dried basil -or- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (a rather large amount)

1 tsp. chopped fresh mint -or- 1/4 tsp. dried mint

1/2 tsp. cornstarch

3 Tbs. peanut oil

3 cloves of garlic, minced

2 large chicken breasts, boned, skinned, cubed or cut in 1/4 inch strips

1 large onion cut in 1/4 inch slices

rice

---------------

Mix together the chiles, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, basil, mint, and cornstarch. Set aside. (Looks awful). Heat wok. Add peanut oil. Add garlic and chicken and stir fry until nearly opaque. Add onion and continue until chicken is entirely opaque. Add disgusting sauce mixture and cook another couple of minutes until sauce thickens. (Onions should not be completely soft.) Serve with rice.

• Options
    I nuked a frozen burrito a few weeks ago, does that count?

LOL!!
  • Options
    Thought I would share this... My wife and I went to a steakhouse in Florence, Italy during our honeymoon and I just about died and went to heaven.

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @Oddjob27, looks spectacular! 👨‍🍳
    What a place to honeymoon! 🇮🇹🍝
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2019
    SWMBO insisted I post this, but beware: It's addictive......

SALTINE CANDY aka CRACK

Ingredients

40 Saltine crackers

1 cup Butter -- don't use margarine 

1 cup LIGHT brown sugar -- not dark

12 oz. Chocolate chips 

Directions

Line up the saltines on a jelly roll pan that has been LINED WITH FOIL making a bigger rim than the pan. There should be 5 rows of 8 crackers each. 

Melt butter and add LIGHT brown sugar. Stir often and bring to a full rolling boil for EXACTLY 3 minutes. 

Pour over the saltines and then bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. 

Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips -- they will start melting. 

Wait until they are almost melted, then spread them all over the saltines with a spatula. 

Then refrigerate for two hours. 

Then break up into pieces. 

You don't have to worry about storing.... There won't be any left..........

• Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Mmmm WOW, sounds good @motie2
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Better than it sounds. It should not be as good as it is.......
  • Options
    So tomorrow I will be grilling frog legs with baby portobellos, fresh bell peppers, and grilled leeks. I also have 5 pipes with 5 different blends, an assortment of octoberfest beers, and a bottle of Blantons Single Barrel. Should be a fun weekend.
  • Options
    @Scampi what time should I come over?
  • Options
    All TPL members invited on Lake Herington tomorrow at 2:00. 
  • Options
    Some great creations but I didnt make it. Celebrated my daughter's birthday and she wanted sushi.