Home Tobacco Talk

Oils popping in the pipe?

Does anyone else hear popping in the pipe while smoking?  Some of the Vapers I have sound like mini-fireworks going off in there sometimes.  It's either natural oils in the tobacco or some sort of humectant or topping.   What do you guys think?

Comments

• motie2motie2 Master
    edited June 2019
    it's a common occurrence with Sutliff Molto Dolce and Barbados Plantation, particularly when a tin is just opened..... Probably not "oils" ---  maybe propylene glycol; certainly moisture in any event.
  • Ron191Ron191 Master
    I've gotten pops,  crackles and hisses at one time or another. It is usually a new batch of bulk blend fresh from the tobacconist. Usually I've been smoking it too hard or fast. The best way I've found to tame it down is to let the bowl go completely cold and then relight. That should give it enough time for the moisture to dissipate. 
  • @mfresa I tend to agree with Gordon, it only seems to happen with extremely moist to the touch aromatic tobaccos ... especially Molto Dolce and Sutliff Creme Brulee. Since I'm not familiar with VaPers I don't know if moisture is ever an issue with them. But if you're hearing popping and crackling that's got something to do with the topping. If it continues crackling and popping when you're smoking a dry as bone blend then I'm afraid you've gotten a pipe made from Chernobyl briar.     
  • mfresamfresa Master
    @ghostsofpompeii , yes, LOL, I would agree.  It does seem to happen on either cased or very moist blends.  Thanks for the response, guys...