Home General

What Are Your Current Top 5 Tobacco Blends (Brands)

What would you consider to be your current Top Five blends? Maybe I should re-word it to Top Five Brands ... but you get my idea.
Tastes change on a regular basis and what you considered to be a favorite two years ago might not even make the cut on this current list. Had I made this list about five years ago Captain Black Gold would have been at the top of the list. Now although I still love all the Captain Black blends (with the exception of Cherry), and are part of my rotation, they probably won't even make my honorable mention list.

1. East India Trading Company "Officer's Club"
2. Scotty's "Trout Stream"
3. Sutliff "Molto Dolce"
4. Russ' Monthly Blend - "Warm Up"
5. Lane Limited "Wild Hare"

Honorable Mention:
Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend (3 parts Sutliff Vanilla Custard, 2 parts Sutliff Chocolate Mousse, 1 part Sutliff Creme Brulee)
Sutliff Barbados Plantation
Sutliff Christmas Spice

Both "Trout Stream" and "Wild Hare" are relatively new blends to me and have leap-frogged to the top of my list in a very short time. So I'd be interested to see where they might place if I make a similar list in a year or two from now once the newness wears off and something new strikes my fickle fancy. I think it's safe to say that "Warn Up", Officer's Club" and "Molto Dolce" will remain on the list.   

Comments

• Tastes do indeed change. 10 years ago, I was mostly an aromatic smoker. Once I tried English and Balkan blends, I've developed a taste for heavy latakia blends. My current list of top 5 tobacco blends (subject to change without notice)

King's Smoking Pipes ~ King of Swords
    G.L. Pease ~ Gaslight
    Scandinavian Tobacco ~ Balkan Sasieni 
    Seattle Pipe Club ~ Plum Pudding
    Hearth & Home ~ Blackhouse 

Honorable mentions;

Hermit Tobacco ~ Ten Russians
    C&D ~ Pirate Kake 
    G. L. Pease ~ Quiet Nights

I expect this list will change as I explore new blends, especially the GLP and SPC blends. 

• 1. Sutliff's Sunset Rum
    2. TCS Hunting Creek
    3. TCS Rivendell
    4. Sutliff's Vanilla Custard
    5. Mrs. Hudsons

Those are the ones most often in my "tobacco box" I carry with me to work on the daily basis. That being said several others i smoke enough to be worth mentioning is:
    1. Barbados Plantation
    2. East India's Cellar Reserve and Royal Challenge
  • Lately I've been in more of a aromatic mood so I know this list will change. 

1. Rattray's Exotic Passion (Used to be Exotic Orange)
    2. D&R's London Dock
    3. Peterson's Special Reserve
    4. Holger Danske Black & Bourbon
    5. Rattray's Red Rapparee (The one non-aromatic I seem to reach for lately)

Honorable Mentions:
    1. D&R's Athey - While it's a straight Virginia, it is also mildly flavored with Scotch, molasses and a touch of something floral. 
    2. Sutliff Taste of Spring - A good simple aromatic with a honey flavor. Great for when you don't want to think about what you're smoking.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    1) Barbados Plantation
    2) Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish
    3) BCA
    4) RLP-6
    5) Gaslight and Jolly Old Saint Nicholas (tie)
  • It would be interesting to revisit this thread in 6 months and again in a year. I’d be curious to see the changes, if any, in everyone’s top 5. 
  • Vanilla Custard,Barbados Plantation, Xmas Spice,RPL-6, and VBC. Along with a few others.
  • motie2motie2 Master
    @buflosab

Boy oh boy, would we get along......
  • Were almost identical twins.
  • In no particular order.
    Dan Tobacco “Devil’s Holiday”, Rattray’s “Exotic Orange”, Samuel Gawith’s “Cabbie’s Mixture”, Lane Tobacco “BCA”, Lane Tobacco “RLP-6”.
  • @RockyMountainBriar I'm still searching for a supplier who has Rattray's Exotic Orange. I guess I'm on the mailing list for when some finally comes in.
  • @ghostsofpompeii
    Me also.  I have been notified two times, may three.  I was on the site in less than 30 minutes after getting the notice and was not fast enough to procure another tin.  I actually had two tins in my cart, and was not able to get to the payment screen before it was out of stock again😤.  Same thing with “Cabbie’s Mixture”🤨.
  • Haven't filled one of these topics out in awhile, so this should be fun.

1) C&D's Old Joe Krantz
    2) C&D's Bayou Morning
    3) G&H's Ennerdale Flake
    4) C&D's Briar Fox
    5) C&D's Black Frigate

Honorable Mentions:

1) MacBaren Navy Flake
    2) C&D's Exhausted Rooster
    3) Captain Earle's Nightwatch
    4) War Horse Green
    5) C&D's Morley's Best

MB's Navy Flake and C&D's Exhausted Rooster would've been in the top 5 two years ago, but OJK, Bayou Morning, and Black Frigate have become staples for me over the past few years. If I could only smoke one blend, though, it might be Ennerdale.

• 1) Capt Earl's Ten Russians
    2) MacBaren HH Burley Flake
    3) Comoy's Cask 11
    4) Newminster English Oriental
    5) C&D Crowley's Best

• Peterson Old Dublin
    Capstan Original Ready Rubbed
    Lane Ready Rubbed
    MacBaren Golden Extra
    Tie: Sutliff  Virginia Slices & Peter Stokkebye Natural Dutch Cavendish

Honorable Mention: Paul's Pipe Shop Arrowhead, MacBaren HH Burley Flake

I limited this to blends still in production.

• I'm gonna do it this way. In the 37 years that I have been smoking a pipe there are 5 blends that have made my rotation that are there pretty solidly. One has been there for the long haul. The others have worked there way there to a place where I would not want to be caught without them in my cellar. I have other blends that I like and THEY change, but these 5 never do. NOT ANY MORE! They are...
    Working it's way to the top of the list... #1) Sutliff: Sunset Rum
    Next, because it will blend with anything...#2) Sutliff: Vanilla Custard
    From day 1 to the present my go to... #3) Lane Ltd.: Burley Lite Without A Bite
    A blend that my brother prepares...#4) DBJ: Wonderlust  (an awesome Black Cavendish/Latakia mix)
    and last but certainly not least... #5) Lane Ltd: LL7