Home General
Options

Pipe & Tobacco Acquisition Disorder(PAD & TAD) - And Collecting Physical Media

edited May 2019 in General

I have a theory pertaining to our members afflicted with the dreaded TAD or PAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder and Pipe Acquisition Disorder) which can easily be disputed or verified by your comments ... that members who have an extensive pipe collection and overstocked tobacco cellar are also collectors of physical media such as CDs, vinyl records, DVDs, Blu-Rays, and books. Or have hobbies involving the acquisition and accumulation of 'stuff' like vintage tools, war medals, guns and knives, sports memorabilia, toys, comic books, or antique bric-a-brac.

Channeling my inner Sigmund Freud I perceive that the accumulation of large quantities of tobacco feeding our TAD is a feeble attempt to insure the bevy of blends stockpiled in our cellar remains readily available regardless of any new FDA restrictions governing the sale of tobacco products, or whatever man-made or act of God calamity that befalls society.

At some point in our lives its possible that some treasured snack food, soda, Breakfast cereal, record, movie, or novel suddenly disappeared from store shelves. And in that disorientating moment of panic you recall someone uttering the words, 'discontinued' or 'out of print'. Words indelibly etched into your brain.

Triggering what would come next.

And that would be taking on the role of preservationist. The empowered curator of your own private museum where your treasured items are cataloged, preserved, cellared, and archived for easy access 'if and when' the impulse strikes you to watch an out of print video cassette, DVD, or Blu-Ray movie that's no longer streaming on NetFlix, or listen to the CD of some obscure Italian progressive rock band, who has not - nor ever will be - streaming on Spotify, Google Play, Pandora or SiriusXM Satellite radio. And should the urge strike for a bowl of the now discontinued "Frog Morton On The Town", all you need do is dig through your well stocked tobacco cellar and retrieve a can of 'The Frog' from the towering stack on the shelf.

So if you have an extensive pipe collection of 25 or more pipes and an over-stocked tobacco cellar, do you also have a library of physical media ... or simply stream your movies and music? Do you still read and collect actual books ... or download to your phone or PAD?

Is there any basis of fact in my theory - or am I simply talking to the face in the mirror?

Comments

• Options
    Nice topic, and I'm in total agreement with you. For me, before I was a pipe smoker, I was a retro video game collector, focusing on the Super Nintendo. Once pipes entered the picture, I stopped buying physical retro games, and actually started selling some of my collection to go into my new hobby. Now, I usually sell one of my older games if I can pick up a digital version. The reason is, I come from a family of pack rats, whereas my wife thankfully is the opposite. She does a good job keeping my manias in check, which led to a curtail of my hoarding. I still buy old games, but I go for the digital versions to save on space.

I'll admit, I don't buy physical media for movies or TV shows, preferring the ease of Netflix and other streaming services. The one exception is my complete MST3K collection, which won't be going anywhere. The same goes for music, as I use spotify for my listening.

Books are my other kryptonite. I do own a kindle, and I make heavy use of it. If it's a book I really want, I'll get the physical version, but the Kindle is a great way to preview books I'm interested in. I know there's a lot of Kindle haters out there, and while I prefer the feel of a physical book, a kindle is great for long trips. That said, any trip I go on, I'll always make time to visit a used bookstore or comic shop. You never know what treasures you'll find hidden away on a shelf somewhere.

It's easier for me to justify buying pipes and tobacco because I use them regularly. The other stuff will sit on a shelf, and while I'll use them, I use my pipes and tobacco much more. I get the same thrill of searching for a new pipe or tobacco as I do my other collectables.
  • Options
    Hmm......pipes,tobacco,Hotwheels,knives,fishing equipment,tools,cars,motorcycles,boats, (not spiffy new stuff, old crap that barely runs, if at all?),Commodore computers and games.  
         You are right, growing up with two brothers and two sisters, we did not have a lot.  We never went hungry, and we always had good clothes, and were not abused, but “other” things were few and far between.  I hold onto stuff...why I am not sure?    It’s mental🤪
  • Options
    I have a fairly extensive DVD collection, but only because I didn't have internet to stream before I got married and built my house. I don't think I have a single CD though. I use streaming services and actually have vinyls and turntable I listen to.

As far as books I have an uncountable library that I'm continuing to add to. I had a Kindle but I couldn't bring myself to use it. I like holding a book and physically turning the pages... That comes from my Grandfather who passed away a short time ago. Growing up he always had a western or other book in his hands and I would read with him in his den.

My biggest thing I'm interested in collecting is guns. Just can't afford it so my purchases are few and far between lol.

As for pipes I had about ten. But I have given a few of my lesser used ones away to friends I got into pipe smoking to get them started. So I'm down to about 5 now. My tobacco cellar has a long way to go. I just ordered a big shipment and plan to for every paycheck I can possibly afford to in order to get one of those cellars you'll never smoke all of in your life time. Because you never know what may happen, zombie apocalypse, ban of online tobacco sales, another depression.... The list could go on but whatever the situation I want to know I can sustain my favorite hobby through whatever it is. 
  • Options
    RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast
    I find my TAD and PAD can become a real problem like Michael308 I only have about ten pipes that i smoke but evertime I look at tobacco I have to fight the urge to buy something new due to not finding the nich tobacco that  I always fall back on when a smoke is need just because I said so.  I have real problem with collecting Jack Daniels and not drinking them as well as Guns.  Its a good thing God put a wonderfull woman in my life that understands and keeps me undercontrol.
  • Options
    This is an interesting topic. I actually fall into both categories, depending on my age. In my youth (well before the advent of the internet, MP3 and streaming videos) I was an avid collector of media. Albums, then CDs, DVDs and of course, books. Shelves and walls full of "stuff".

I've also collected various things over the years including fishing equipment and pocket tobacco tins. I've had enough fishing equipment to outfit an entire city for both freshwater and fly fishing. My tobacco tin collection was extensive and impressive, displayed on a shelf I had made especially for displaying them. I enjoyed the history and the colors of the tins and had many rare tins, including the coveted Continental Cubes tin. In addition, my pipe collection had grown to over 80 pipes.

About 10 years ago I began a simplification process of my life. I've pretty much eliminated most all of my DVDs and CDs. I've kept a few of my albums and a few of my books but have sold or given away the remainder. I'm down to about 20 pipes and truth be told, I could be quite happy with less than 10. Whenever I do get a new pipe, I try to remove one to replace it instead of adding to the collection. I've sold the entire tobacco tin collection. It's been liberating and refreshing to downsize and eliminate a lot of my "stuff".

While I still enjoy playing an album and turning the pages of an actual book, I also enjoy having an entire library of books and more music than I could possibly listen to on my tablet. I really like the convenience of having so much available, wherever I am.

My TAD continues to spiral out of control. 
  • Options
    I may be in this category as I buy books and seldom sell, trade, give them away or trash them. Being a poor child of the south, we didn't own our first tv until after 1963. I remember going to a next door neighbor to watch the news about Kennedy's assassination because we didn't have one. What I did have access to growing up was books and I took to reading like a fish takes to water. As a pre-teen, I would walk to the junk recycler near us and trade beer and soda cans I collected off the street for stacks of comic books with the covers ripped off. Even earlier, I started going to the library and sitting for hours reading or sitting and listening to someone read books during Saturday story hour. I was reading the books by James Michener before I started driving. 

So, I grew up reading and I still read. I probably have over a hundred books piled on shelves and cabinets and another 50 or 60s in storage. I do sometimes throw books out that are so well-read the pages are falling out of them. I will also occasionally take books to the used book store in town and trade them for different books. 

I also have about 75 cookbooks. 
  • Options
    I definitely fall into this category. Pipes and tobacco collecting/cellaring are just one of my collecting vices. I also collect vintage camping gear and scouting memorabilia. How many Coleman lanterns and stoves do I really need? Just a couple more
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    Hey.  Thewanderingdude,,,Are you interested in a bunch of Scout patches from mostly back in the sixties???
  • Options
    KenofAhwlby Absolutely! I'm into anything BSA related

• Options
    Twice a week I got the Smokingpipes email and man, what temptation... But can keep my PAD under control, this year bought only one pipe, a Bone Pipe and it is a great pipe! My TAD is another history, I like to try news blends, so every month I buy some news ones and also some that I liked. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited May 2019
    The thing that keeps siphoning  funds from my bank account is the glorious P&C monthly sales catalog.

If you don't receive it, go to https://www.pipesandcigars.com/help/request-catalog/
  • Options
    What is currently affecting my TAD is the various comments and recommendations I'm reading from the members - coupled with the FDA fears. Because of that and @PappyJoe I'm about to order some of the Rattray Exotic Orange he's been highly recommending. I figure if the FDA if on the verge of eliminating flavored tobacco products, orange is one I haven't really tried (other than my Dreamsickle experimental blend). And it sounds like something I might enjoy. So I better get at least one tin of it before it becomes extinct. Looked it up on Pipes & Cigars and it wasn't available. But I did find it somewhere else.
  • Options
    Spoke too soon. It's already out of stock everywhere.
  • Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited May 2019
    I just put in a P&C order for over $100 (to get the Father's Day discount) and then 5 min. later purchased that MM Emerald pipe!  I need help.
  • Options
    kellyg53kellyg53 Professor
    You are spot on with your theory of acquisition disorder, whether it is pipes, tobacco, razors, guns, fountain pens, ink, books, etc.  I've accumulated books for years and the only thing that saved me on that front was e-books, otherwise my basement would be lined with bookshelves.  A couple of decades ago I fell prey to fountain pen/ink accumulation.  The good thing about fountain pens is they don't take up huge amounts of space.  They will dispose of your disposable income however.  I was saved pen accumulation by getting into double edge razors, blades, soaps, brushes, etc.  Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately, depending on perspective), by way of Badger & Blade, I got back into pipe smoking.  My razor+ accumulation is cured.  But the PAD & TAD are strong.  I tell my wife to look at the bright side; it could be vintage cars or airplanes.  She rolls her eyes.
  • Options
    wbradkwbradk Apprentice
    For me it was always books.  I did go through a fountain pen/inks phase, then there is fitted baseball caps (to go with my annual attendance at about 100 minor league bb games a year).  And, of course, the P&T collections grow...
  • Options

Raveled Thoughts: A Modern Tool for Diagnosing TAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qHHtNZF6o