Home General
Options

Starting a Pipe Club

Does anyone have any experience and would like to offer advice for starting a local pipe club? I have started one with another gentlemen and we will have our first 'meet up' next month. We have a local retailer with a lounge who has agreed to host and help promote, and we have been doing our research by reading articles and asking questions to many people...But I would love to hear your advice!

Comments

• Options
    My only advice is to try and let as many local pipers know about the club and make it at a convenient time. Make it as friendly and appealing club as you can. Then again, if pipers know about the club, they will want to go. Every pipe smoker wants to talk to other pipers about the hobby.

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Is the lounge a B&M?  If so put up fliers and visit some B&M's, locally, and give them fliers as well.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    It may also not hurt to throw out your location in the forum to let anyone local know what and where your trying to do it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice @thebadgerpiper and @drac2485. We plan to make flyers and it is in a well established B&M in Harrisburg, PA. There are a few clubs about an hour away, but none that we or the B&M owners and employees know about. 
  • Options
    There are other pipe forums out there so make sure you join them and post your meeting information on them. Also, if you listen to the Country Squire Radio podcast, send them a message on twitter or facebook and tell them about your new club.
  • Options
    Thanks @pappyjoe! I will follow your advice! @charlenestglaneltd has also been a great help!
  • Options

My advice would be to register your club with United Pipe Clubs of America(UPCA). for a nominal fee you can list your club on their website. Just give the name of your club, location, meeting place and day and time. I listed my club and I get any where from the three original members to as many as six, it varies, but the problem we have is were not a huge pipe smoking area, NE Ohio is a cigar area and we meet in a cigar shop because there are no "pipe shops" in the Cleveland area, everything is south of us as far as pipe smoking is concerned but we have a good time. Good luck to you and I hope you have a lot of success.

• Options
    Announcing the first ever meeting of Smoking Guns Pipe Club. Sunday September 22, 2019 at Camp Catalpa in Richmond, Ky. Everyone is invited smokers and non-smokers alike. Coolers welcome, playground for kids and door prizes to be given away starts at 6:00 PM. Come on out if you happen to be in central Kentucky.
  • Options
    Thanks Motie2 very helpful
  • Options
    Question: I have six the pipes and was thinking of disinfecting them and bringing the to our first pipe club meeting so anyone could give pipes a try. Is this a good idea or do you guys think the Venturis will turn people against the pipe hobby? I have no problem smoking them and I even think I can taste the tobacco subtle notes a little better, but there is no doubt that briar and cobs are different.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    edited September 2019
    If nothing else @Scampi offering fellow pipers a free try with a pipe, ANY pipe, should  be welcomed whether they want to try it or not... IMHO...
  • Options
    Thanks I'm going to take them.
  • Options
    Great idea @Scampi! Have you considered buying Missouri Meerschaum pipes for the same purpose? On their web site, the occasionally have bags of seconds available for a very low price. They are great smoking pipes with only minor cosmetic flaws. 
  • Options
    Kmhartle I have considered it but decided to give away con seconds as door prizes for attending meetings. Those composite pipes I have great for letting anyone who wants try a pipe because they are so easy to clean. I can disinfect the stems in alcohol and boil the bowls if necessary. That can withstand very high temperatures. In fact that is why they were made in the 70s. They were suppose to be the last pipe you will ever buy. Also they are all different colors so they appeal greatly to younger pipe smokers.
  • Options
    I don't have a lot of money to spend on door prizes and such, but I'll do whatever I can to keep this hobby alive and growing.