Home General
Options

PIPE ROTATION

I love taking part in a discussion where, in my opinion, there is no concrete right or wrong answer. 
For those of you that don't already know my position on the subject, I utilize what I call a "semi-regimented rotation system". That is to say, I usually follow a set pattern that will eventually result in a complete use of all my pipes.
However, I do have exceptions from time to time. For example, when traveling I may take smaller bowled cheaper pipes, or when working around the house = ditto. If I smoke more than 2 or 3 bowls a day, I may revert back to pipes I've already used previously. Or during our just completed MMM (March Meerschaum Madness - Tnx @PappyJoe ), my loosely knit rotation went out the window. And let's not forget those special holidays and events that call for that "special pipe(s)". One thing is for sure concerning myself, without SOME form of system, I fear many of my pipes would rarely, if ever, be used...
Anyway, what's your take on PIPE ROTATION?

Comments

• Options
    Being a mystic, I let whatever pipe speaks to me at the moment determine which I choose.
    This way, I wind up smoking only five of my 13 pipes. 
    Mea culpa, mea culpa.... Mea maxima culpa.
  • Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    @motie2.  Oh, Motie,, you have those beautiful Carey’s and you don’t smoke them all....Guess you’d better send them to me...otherwise they will feel neglected.
  • Options
    One gets a real rush every time one covets a pipe and actually acquires said object of desire. The only thing that holds me back from buying more pipes when I see something that shifts me into motie needs it mode..... Is a righteous fear of SWMBO.
  • Options
    Never let her seen all your pipes at once,,,, if she seems one come into the house,,”It was one that needed repair, just back from the shop”

• Options
    I don't have a fixed rotation of any of my pipes and I generally don't have any dedicated to one type of blend or another. I find that wiping the bowl with a tissue or napkin after smoking reduces the chance of ghosting. 
  • Options
    My pipe usage seems to follow a more utilitarian scheme, I never smoke the same pipe more than once in a day, I have pipes dedicated for when I am working,
    The rest of my pipes are chosen based on the type of tobacco being smoked, how long I want to smoke, and the ones that are the most ascetically pleasing are generally smoked at social gatherings.
  • Options
    Wow, a ‘hole lot a’ thinkin’ about smoking a pipe... I gots lots of them and when I am going to smoke I pick one up..Occasionally I will think I haven’t smoked that one in a while and pick it.
  • Options
    My general rule for pipe rotation is that I won't smoke one of my pipes more than once a day. I also won't smoke a briar the day after using it, though I'll smoke the same cob day after day if I feel like it. For blends, I tend to smoke similar blends in the same pipe, devoting some to burley blends, some to VaPers, etc. That tends to keep my pipes from ghosting.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper Do you wipe out the bowls after smoking with a paper towel as @PappJoe does? I've started using that method a while back and I think he's on to something. If I do it lightly as he suggests, it seems to create a more "even coat" for the eventual caking to occur...
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ Back when I was working I had possibly three work pipes that I'd occasionally rotate, and about the same amount of what I'd consider my 'good' pipes for smoking around the house. After retiring, and pipe smoking developed into this strange hobby and obsession I've accumulated well over 50 pipes and about 100 blends in my cellar. And what I've discovered, since I'm constantly rotating pipes daily - seldom smoking the same pipe more than once in a day ... I'm having a hard time building a proper cake in any of the bowls. And since I swipe out each bowl after smoking with a paper towel, several of my pipes almost appear to be unsmoked. In one way that's good because the pipes look brand new. But in another way it hasn't allowed the pipes to really get broken in properly to become what I'd call "a great smoking pipe". I have several old work pipes that were cheap basket pipes I picked up at The Tinder Box which are probably better smoking pipes than some of my more expensive name brands because they've been well broken in ... caked and scrapped several times ... and just smoked to death - just as a pipe should be. Whereas the majority of pipes in my collection are pampered and almost presented as a display piece - used for special occasions.
    I've been considering a three pipe rotation for the week in hopes that each of my pipes will eventually get a proper work-out and begin building a proper cake. The following week pick out another three. And so on for the remainder of the year.
    I can seldom follow through on any New Year's Resolution so I'm sure this plan will go by the wayside after a month or so. But I think it might go a long way into getting my pampered pipes into proper smoking condition.
    I know we have several members here with as many or more pipes in their collection as I do, so what do you do to properly break in a pipe and build a cake in the bowl when they are seldom smoked? Or is it even an issue with you?   
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited April 2019
    Only five of my 13 pipes have proper cake...... The ones I smoke..... Duh.
  • Options
    I smoke the same pipe every day, but not more than once per day.  Cake buildup has been easy and consistent.  I do have to scrape it out and give the rest of the pipe a "deep clean" with ethyl alcohol so it doesn't clog constantly.
  • Options
    @KA9FFJ I haven't tried the paper towel method, but I might have to if it adds an even cake to the bowl.
  • Options
    I have lat pipes, a very few aro pipes, and Virginia pipes. I do keep a fairly strict rotation, allowing my briars plenty of time to rest, but I do occasionally violate it when I have a hankering. I do smoke the same pipe more than once on the same day if the spirit so moves me.
  • Options
    I have around a dozen that I rotate consistently. The rest are rare occasion pipes or ones I don’t love to smoke for one reason or another. I used to smoke the same pipe several times a day and then let it rest a week. Now that I have way too many pipes I typically grab a different pipe each time I smoke during the day. Concerning cake... I  just use a pipe cleaner folded in a ‘U’ to clean the bowl each time. However, my best-caked pipes are my old ones that I smoked aromatics in weekly.