Home General
Options

Antique Store Find - Unopened 1.5 oz Tin Of Velvet

I'm always in the market for vintage tobacco tins, and although Velvet tins are fairly easy to find I recently located a real beauty. And best of all it's an unopened tin. I was curious if anyone here knows the approximate age of the tin. I figure it has to be at least somewhere in the 60s' or earlier because it doesn't have a bar code on the tin.
I also seem to recall either Matches860 or The Artful Codger mentioning the older blends being somewhat different - and actually better. So it had me wondering if this particular era of Velvet might have been the blend they were discussing. I'm debating on whether to crack open the tin and smoke it ... or simply leave it sealed as part of my tin collection. The quality of the smoke may determine it for me. If it taste exactly like modern Velvet, then I still have a small amount jarred up and I'll simply smoke that when I get a hankering for Velvet.
I've included a few pictures of the tin for identification purposes. I'm hoping someone here might have a few answers for me.
The side panel reads: The Pinkerton Tobacco Company Owensboro, Kentucky 42301 Subsidiary Of Liggett & Myers Incorporated
Not quite sure when zip codes were added to our addresses ... so that might keep it closer to the 60s' as opposed to much earlier.

Comments