Home General

Winning An Ardor Venere post...

Comments

• Congrats PappyJoe. As usual, great article. I'd never attempt to enter a slow smoke contest but I've gotten better and better at it over the years. I can nearly watch an entire movie at night while smoking a single bowl.
  • @PappyJoe Of all the blends you smoke is there any one particular blend that provides you with the longest smoke. The one blend you wish they let you smoke during one of those contests.
  • @ghostsofpompeii - Most long smoke competition use a bulk non-aromatic blend. The one I participate in used McClelland's 5100 Straight Virginia but since its no longer available, I they used a different Red Virginia this year. I'm not sure which one. 

I've never heard about a long smoke competition that uses an aromatic blend. Probably because of the moisture content of the aromatics. 

The one blend I wish they would use? I really don't know but I would have to say maybe Rattray's Red Rapparee but it doesn't come in bulk.
  • edited April 2019
    I have a commemorative tobacco jar with “supposedly” the original tobacco used for the 1994 Copenhagen Championship.  I don’t know if this is what they smoked in the competition, or just what they had as a “keepsake”.  It is Orlik “Sweet Dublin” aromatic.  The tobacco was in a “not-so-sealed” foil bag and was still moist when I got it about five years ago🤨  Now, either it is not the original tobacco, or there is some serious Propylene-Glycol in this stuff.  I tried it when I first got it about three years ago and it bit like a rabid bat and cooked my tongue with the force of an acetylene torch (not that I actually know what either of those would be like😬)  I just popped the mason jar it has been in for the last five years, and it seems to have dried out some from what I remember, but it is still pretty moist.
         Oh, I bought it for the cool wooden tobacco jar, cheap as heck.  If it had a nice seal it would be even better.  I’ll have to work on that🤔
         I have an old desktop pipe rack that originally had a tobacco jar with it.  It has a little cut-out where it is suppose to sit.  The original jar is gone.  This jar is just a bit too large of a diameter to fit.  Hmm, just thought about it....I have a lathe now, maybe I will have to chuck this jar in the lathe and turn a little inset on the bottom to fit the rack indent......Good idea😉
  • @RockyMountainBriar  I would widened the inset in the pipe rack and keep the jar as it. And toss the tobacco. 
  • RandyB1966RandyB1966 Enthusiast
    @RockyMountainBriar I like PappyJoe idea much better than messing with such a nice wooden jar like that.
  • Maybe, but much more difficult to widen the inset.  I would have to disassemble the whole rack and then make a template for a router. There may not be enough wood on the base?  I will have to look.  Turning off a 1/4” of wood with the lathe would take about a minute.
    Or, I can just find another jar🙂
  • @RockyMountainBriar - I've seen a lot of the glass tobacco jars in junk shops, but the seals are either dried and cracked or missing. If you have something like a Hobby Lobby near you, you may find a suitable decorative jar there. 
  • @PappyJoe
    We do have a Hobby Lobby, and a Michael's.  I will take a look.
    As far as seals go, I have used toilet seals for my Comoy's tobacco jars (new ones of course) they work well.  There are several different sizes, also there are a few sizes of silicone seals for canning jars that will work depending on the size needed.
  • @RockyMountainBriar Glad the toilet seals are NEW ones... If not, you may be creating some exotic blends that no one will want to try... just sayin'... :)