Home The Lounge

Pipe Food Pairings

Oddjob27Oddjob27 Master
edited February 2019 in The Lounge
So, a while back, I saw on Muttonchop Piper's YT a video about "Beorn's Honey Cake". Well, I'm not a baker nor have I ever successfully baked anything but I gave it a shot. TPL Fam, here's my Beorn's Honey Cake. I think it will go REALLY well with any vanilla or caramel aromatic. I think it would actually go really well with a mild - medium English that is a little lighter on the latakia. Going to have to try it all together soon.

Anyone else have a favorite food they pair with a pipe?

Comments

• To be honest, any sweet aromatic goes well after dinner, much like a dessert. And it not as many calories.
  • Repost:

Pipe tobacco’s got a lot of dance partners and the right blend can elevate your favorite drink or dish to entirely new levels. It’s not too difficult to find nice pairings, and figuring out your favorite pairings is half the fun. When it comes down to it, that’s really the beauty of pipe smoking – the experimentation and depth of possibilities to explore are nearly endless. To get you started, though, here’s a look at some things that match up well with a nice bowl.

Food is tricky. Some folks prefer to just enjoy a bowl of a sweeter tobacco as a sort of dessert, letting it stand on its own. Definitely lower fat than a slice of cake. If you do want to enjoy it with some food, pick something bold enough to stand up to tobacco –if you’re having a garden salad, it’s probably not a pipe-smoking affair. But steaks? Pork chops? Heck, even fondue under the right circumstances? Yep, all of those can be enhanced with your briar in hand.

More common than food pairing is alcohol pairing. We know not everyone drinks, and if you’re a teetotaler we respect that. However, we just can’t deny the awesome marriage of the right tobacco and the perfect libation. First off, need to take into consideration what you’re smoking. If it’s a blend with a deep body and full nose, you’re gonna want something that can stand up to it. Go for a merlot, cowboy. Get a little spicy.

Speaking of spicy, let’s talk contrast. You don’t want to be too matchy-matchy. If your tobacco is sweet with a fruity nose, for instance, you’d be well served with something that’s dry and smooth. Whiskey fits that bill pretty nicely. On ice, if you like. Match that with some apple slices and a crumbly cheese, and you’ve got a real nice trio going. If you don’t want to bring alcohol to the party, a nice non-alcoholic dry cider or ginger ale does a fancy little two-step all its own.

For some educated pairing, it helps to know what’s in your blends, and then you can make pairing decisions.  Let’s check out some bodies:

Mellow Body Leaf

Golden Virginia

Bright Virginia

Black Cavendish

Medium Body Leaf

Medium Burleys

Red/Brown Virginia

Most all Oriental and Turkish

Full Body Leaf

Dark Burleys

Latakia

Perique

Kentucky Dark Fired

Most strains of cigar leaf

These will come in different blends, so check the back of the tin or ask your local tobacco shop. As for pairings, here’s a few thoughts:

Mellow Body:

• Lager/Pilsner
    • Light rums
    • Dry white wines
    • Gin/Vodka
    • Pears or apples

Medium Body:

• Strong tea (Sweeten as you feel necessary)
    • Amber/red beer
    • Ale
    • Heavier white wine
    • Golden Rums
    • Lighter Scotch/Whiskey
    • Lighter liqueurs and cordials
    • Most mixed drinks (Gin and Tonic, Screwdrivers, Rum and Coke)
    •  Brie or Camembert

Full Body:

• Dark coffee
    • Dark Rums
    • Stouts/Porters
    • Peaty Scotch
    • Bourbon
    • Deep red wine
    • Port/Sherry
    • Sweet dried fruit
    • Cured meat
    • Olives

The idea here is sip, puff, take a minute to reflect. Do the flavors complement each other well? How does the nose of the tobacco complement the drink or little bite of food? Are you into it?

If so, great. If not, change it up, and try something else out. Give it a few samples, and you’ll eventually come upon a magical combo that dances all across your palate. 

• @motie2, this is a wonderful repoast. Thank you.
  • @Danfriedman
    You are most welcome, Sir.
  • @motie2 - Who is that a repost from?