Home General
Options

"Salmon, Sheep & Rock & Roll: Ian Anderson" ... Pipe Smoking Prog Rocker

I just finished watching a YouTube documentary "Salmon, Sheep And Rock & Roll: Ian Anderson" on the flute playing progressive rocker Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. The documentary delved into Anderson's many ventures outside of the music business to include his lucrative salmon farms as well as many farmland properties where he raises sheep and the occasional head of cattle. Under normal circumstances a topic like this wouldn't be of interest to most members here ... but what jumped out at me as a pipe smoker was the fact that Ian Anderson is a pipe smoker himself. And not just the kind of celebrity who poses for the occasional photo with pipe in mouth to appear reflective or as part of the counter culture ... but a genuine pipe smoker with his pipe seemingly affixed as an extension of his arm. Other than the moments when the footage was of Anderson and his group appearing on stage during concert footage, he would be seen with his pipe in his mouth or hand throughout the documentary. Whether lunting on his farmland or estate properties, in a boat checking on the status of his salmon farms, hunting for pheasant, recording in his studio, or simply doing work in his office, Anderson can be seen puffing what appears to be a Peterson Army Mount pipe. He might well have been an advertisement for pipe smokers. I only wish the interviewer might have brought up the topic and asked Anderson what blend he was smoking. I've always enjoyed the music of Anderson and Jethro Tull - now I have another reason. He's a kindred spirit and a fellow member of the pipe smoking community.   

Comments

• Options
    "Sitting on a park bench......" >:)
  • Options
    mapletopmapletop Master
    edited February 2019
    @ghostsofpompeii Interesting, thanks for posting, I am going to watch it in a few minutes.
    I have always been a big fan of Jethro Tull's music and have seen them in concert numerous time over the years, beginning in 1975 at the Chicago Stadium.
    The last two shows in the last few years have been a disappointment  though, as he replaced the whole band which created some hard feeling as I understand it. The performances were lackluster and felt more like they were mailed in and he was lip syncing.
    He is a very interesting man and I appreciate his work, just wish he could put his ego on the  low setting.
    You may be interested to know that Martin Barre the lead guitarist is touring the US this spring doing a Martin Barre Celebrates 50 Years of Jethro Tull tour. http://martinbarre.com/martin-barre-tour/
    Bought tickets for the show here near Chicago a couple months ago

PS: I discover that his group is doing more shows than appear on his website so you may find  one near by if your interested.

• Options
    Saw Tull 1972. Front row center 10 foot from stage! And yes, Ian was giving wild and crazy looks during his performance. I could barely take my eyes off of his eyes...
  • Options
    As a prog fan, i always appreciated Tull and their music. Never saw them live.
  • Options
    I caught there act during the "Passion Play" tour at the Chicago Stadium and loved the show. Saw him again a few years ago when he was doing a tour of his "Thick As A Brick Part II" tour and as @mapletop suggests Ian's voice is not as strong as it once was. He had an additional vocalist helping him on the more challenging vocal parts. But his energy and flute playing were still top notch. It was still a great show as they played both "Thick As A Brick" parts one and two. Along with a few other hits along the way. I still enjoy seeing the older acts like YES, The Moody Blues, and Ian Anderson  even though they may have slowed down the tempo or changed the key to accommodate for the lack of their vocal range. We're loosing the old classic rockers at an alarming rate these past few years - so it's always good to see them when they come to a town near you. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Agreed and I make the effort at every opportunity.
  • Options
    I also agree, which is why I will be seeing Mark Knopfler live this August and King Crimson at the Radio City Music Hall in September .