Home Tobacco Talk

Frigid Weather Putting A Damper On Pipe Smoking

I know there are several others on the site relegated to smoking outside or in unheated garages ... so these frigid temperatures are putting a real damper on our smoking hobby. Got me wondering - how many pipe smokers there are among the Eskimos?

Comments

• Spent two years in Fargo ND. Coldest it got was forty below real temp. Wind chill was down to one hundred below, with foty MPH winds. Smoked English blends back then, outside, in the cold. Of course, I was almost fifty years younger.

Today the dual window fan (30 bucks on Amazon) is sucking the Barbados Plantation right out the window.
  • When things get really bad I find myself sitting in the bathroom on the commode under the exhaust fan puffing away. Besides that - the bathroom is probably the warmest room in the house.
  • Well it was a bit nippy here in northern Illinois this morning  (26 below) , went to a chiropractic appointment this morning which allowed me to have two bowls, one each way.
    I take the back streets and drive slowly
  • It’s-35 wind chill here in NE Ohio, smoking my pipe in my nice warm apartment.
  • Here in FL, in cold like where you guys are, so smoking outside is not a big problem. 
  • I'd type something, but I can't feel my fingers... 🐧
  • Pretty balmy here 31F @ 9:40 PM.  Nice night out tonight.  Some cooler weather is expected though.  I think it has only been below 0 F a couple of nights so far this winter.  Weather forecast does show a few more below 0 F days ahead soon though.  Just finished a bowl of Vauen Black Pepper in my Pete Outdoor D6.
  • The garage with space heaters was my only escape last winter. However, this year I've figured out how to sit by the fireplace and blow the smoke up the chimney. I find with a wood fire going I get too hot sitting on the hearth. However, if I only have the gas burning it still creates enough draw but doesn't burn me up either. I just smoked 2 bowls this morning on my lovely hearth, and SWMBO is none the wiser!
  • Still cold in the St. Louis area. Traveled a 30 minute drive today to play Pickle Ball. Fired up a bowl of Caramello J2 and turned it into a 40 minute drive. Did a repeat on the way back home. More than one way to skin a cat... :)
  • Back to 61 and raining this morning.
  • No sympathy for @PappyJoe at 61 degrees........ :)
  • daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Traveled a 30 minute drive today to play Pickle Ball. Fired up a bowl of Caramello J2 and turned it into a 40 minute drive. Did a repeat on the way back home. More than one way to skin a cat...Traveled a 30 minute drive today to play Pickle Ball. Fired up a bowl of Caramello J2 and turned it into a 40 minute drive. Did a repeat on the way back home. More than one way to skin a cat... 

Ive never played but I think Pickle Ball is more popular than golf is here in Green Valley. The local rec league tried to put up a world class PB complex across the street from me but the HOA fought it and won.

I’m a snow bird south of Tucson AZ but I still enjoy my pipes in the comfort inside of my home.
  • Yeah, I looked it up as well, as I had never heard of it either. looks like fun.
    Based on the name I was expecting a more exotic type of ball.
  • I emerged from my three day hibernation today to get back in my garage and enjoy a pipe or two. As much as I enjoy my pipes, once it reaches below zero, the pipes go on a break.
  • It's 11 degrees this morning, and it's been in the single digits all week until it "warmed up" in the afternoons to double digit teens and twenties.  I had my first bowl of the week last night.  My routine of visiting my tobacco shop on Wednesday didn't happen.  No way I'm smoking outside, so both my pipe and cigar smoking have been significantly curtailed.  That's just the way it is when it's wintertime in New England.
  • Dudes, buy a $30.00 portable window exhaust fan from Amazon. Now, SWMBO allows me to smoke in tyhe house, as long as I sit near that window.
  • Posted this somewhere else by mistake.

Freaking lousy weather! Went from low 40s to mid-60s in 24 hours and screwed up my sinuses in the process. No smoking for a couple of days and even bourbon taste bad.
  • We are up to 40's in Chicagoland! Went out to the garage and enjoyed a bowl. Still chilly, but not life threatening. 
  • edited February 2019
    Frigid, yes indeedy.  -3F this evening......so far.....pretty sure it’s going to drop some more❄️❄️❄️
    I’m not going out smokin....and I don’t feel like smokin up my house tonight either.
    Hmm just looked at the forecast on my phone...Wednesday’s HIGH is -2F, the low looks to dip to -17F....BBBBRRR.  Where’s that Montana “Bannna Belt” now?