Home General

Vaping

Ok gentlemen an elementary question, someone explain Vaping to me. What is its purpose, why is it popular? Never have engaged in it that I know of. It's just something I feel I should know about but I don't. Any replies would be welcome.

Comments

• Self administered nicotine, sans tobacco
  • Back when I was in a band I sure could have used a few Vapers on stage to double for dry ice and smoke machines. Seem like anyone Vaping expels plumes of thick clouds of smoke ... even more so than cigarette, pipe or cigar smokers. I was driving the other day behind a guy Vaping and I thought the car was on fire.   
  • @ghostsofpompeii
    I think the same thing about the Vapers.  Why is it that people that vape have to make a big deal out of expelling huge plumes of water vapor?  I would think they would just suck it all up, after all, it's safer than smoking tobacco....right?  What's the little electronic gadget called, something like a personal electronic nicotine inhalant system..or something like that?
  • Not going to lie, when I see someone vape, I judge them. Even loved ones. Maybe not severely, but I still judge them.
  • Tons of guys do it in the army. And not a few put some kind of drug or substance in the juice. 
    As for judging, let’s just say there is no one vaping that I would call mature. 
  • Boy, it's been a minute since I've been on the forums. Life has been hectic. But this sparked my interest because I used to work in the vape industry.

@buflosab The question you ask about vaping is a broad question but I'll do my best. In it's most basic form vaping is basically the vaporization of e-liquid that is inhaled and exhaled. E-liquid or, more commonly referred to as, "juice" is made up of propylene glycol (PG), vegetable glycerin (VG), flavoring, and optionally nicotine. PG is the flavor delivery and VG is the vapor delivery, so when you see people letting out "HUGE CLOUDS" that is because the ratio will be higher in VG. It has been used as a smoking cessation tool, smoking alternative, and for some just a hobby. I don't recommend anyone who doesn't smoke cigarettes to vape because i'm not confident in saying that it is safe; however, I will say that it is safer than traditional combustable cigarettes.

The e-liquid is absorbed through some type of fiberous material, usually organic undyed cotton. The saturated cotton sits threaded through a conductive coil. When the button is pressed it sends electricity through the coil, thus heating the e-liquid saturated cotton to the point it vaporized. The vapor is inhaled and exhaled. It's a bit of a running joke, but in reality those devices are literally flashlights. 

Unfortunately, most of the popular or in-demand flavors are usually want we call "candy", some literally mimicking brand name candies. I worked for a company that has been and still is trying to shift the industry towards mature flavors. Castle Long Reserve was our most infamous flavor: toasted coconut, roasted almonds, Madagascar vanilla, caramelized brown sugar, and Kentucky bourbon and has been aged in oak barrels (We were the first company ever to age and steep eLiquid in oak barrels). Compare that to, strawberry kiwi sour candy.

I don't knock on vaping for those who do enjoy the more mature flavors for their complexity. I'm NOT a fan of "cloud chuckers". I am in support of those who tastefully use smaller, low powered deviced, that produce better flavor and mild to medium amount of vapor (not smoke).

Hoping that helps paint a different picture. Vaping can be tastefully enjoyed, especially with flavor profiles like i mentioned above; however, I do have a hard time with people who publicly go around blowing out huge amounts of vapor and just being a nuisance about it.
  • *Warning-Rant*
    It seems to me that the clouds of vapor are the perfect vehicle to spread airborne diseases, even more so than smoking.  Let’s see...glycol=sugar/food, water vapor=“things” need water to live, and a warm cloud that vapers seem to try to fill a room with.  Does a science experiment Petri dish get any better?  It pisses me off when vaping jerks freaking exhale all over the room.  And say “It’s not bad”....me thinks I throw the bullshit towel on that one.  Most of that crap stinks just as much as any smoke and has a sickly-sweet nastiness to it.  I wish they would just suck it up.  Like I mentioned before, if it is not bad for you, why exhale.  If someone needs to make a big “show” with their damn vape cloud, they might as well buy some of those candy cigarettes and puff the white powder all over.  Hell, can you even find those candy cigarettes anymore?  I bet not....too dangerous.....but kids can buy vape devices.  What the hell is society coming too? 
  • @Oddjob27 @RockyMountainBriar
    I would be concerned about the burning cotton and the affects he could have. Especially if someone sets the vaping device down for a few days and the juice soaked cotton is left alone. Could it possible start to mold?
  • SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    I post this with caution, I may be treading thin ice but here goes:

I have a Fenix vape that I don't use often but is very handy for times when it's cold outside. Ours is a smoke-free house so outdoor piping is a must. The Fenix has a small chamber that can be filled with any loose tobacco. An Erin Go Bragh cigarillo broken off about 3/8 inch will fill the chamber. The vape will 'toast' the tobacco but it won't burn. Depending on the blend and the temp setting of the vape the smoke last about 30 minutes. I dump the toasted tobacco in my best-of-the-rest pouch. I came across this vape when looking for a pocket pipe. That's pretty much what it is to me. I can load it up, put it in a coat pocket, and it's ready to go. It certainly will never replace my pipe but it is nice for cold weather. 
  • @Oddjob27, Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this thing called Vaping. I never really considered Trying this, and from all accounts it sounds like a pain in the neck to do. And thank you everyone else for commenting.
  • @PappyJoe - Generally speaking, unless the manufacturer is putting in any other ingredient that is susceptible to mold, usually the only thing that happens is degredation of nicotine and oxidization. The cotton doesn't "burn" perse, but if the user gets a "dry hit" where the cotton isn't saturated, it's the worst thing ever.

@Swmaples The Fenix is what is known as a HNB technology, Heat Not Burn. Where it toasts the leaf (brown or green) to smoking point, but doesn't combust it. HNB is huge throughout Asia where cigarette smoking is huge. I would actually be highly interested in seeing what pipe tobacco tastes like in a HNB device vs traditional pipes, just out of curiosity.