Home Pipes & Tools

estate pipe with a stuck stinger

I've just picked up an estate Dr. Grabow Viscount pipe which could not pass a pipe cleaner when I sat down to go through it and clean. Turns out that at some point after this pipe's last smoke, somebody managed to shove a stinger down into the shank until it is entirely stuck.

I've tried the only pair of needle-nose pliers I have that would fit down in there, but all that accomplished was to break off the end of the thing, making it even harder to try grabbing. For a while I wondered if I put BBs into the airway from the bowl one at a time and forced them -- would that manage to move the stinger, but not having any in the household, don't even know if BBs would fit.

Thought of compressed air, but I don't have one of those attachments with a rubber cone to help block an oversized opening you're blasting the air into. Not too sure where to find one, either.

I don't want to drill, as there's too much chance of damaging the threads in the shank opening.

Other than that, there's an open hole where the spade used to be in the stem. and at some point someone managed to twist the threaded tenon a little more than halfway around so that the stem is upside down when screwed all the way in.

It didn't cost me very much, but it would be nice to use that pretty piece of wood stummel.

Comments