Home General
Options

Interesting Pipe that belonged to an Interesting Man

mapletopmapletop Master
edited December 2018 in General
So a friend and co-board member of the sportsman club I belong to called me a couple of days ago because his 95 year old grandfather had died the week before and his aunt had presented him with a box at the wake that contained his granddad's pipe collection.
In addition to the pipes he received a carefully curated scrap book from his grandfather's time in the Navy during WW II

He called me because I am the only pipe smoker he knows and he wanted to know more about the art as he is going to give it a try and he wanted to show me the collection and get my opinion.

It turns out his grandfather was the skipper of a mine sweeper and his ship was the first US ship to enter both Tokyo and Nagasaki harbors at the end of the war.
I have to say the pictures of Nagasaki harbor were disturbing, in the back round (the city) virtually everything had been flattened and there were a few ships masts or flagstaffs protruding above the water.
On one of the pictures, he is seen on the bow of his ship as they were sweeping Tokyo harbor with what we have determined was his favorite pipe in his mouth, Our determination was based on the wear of the stem and teeth marks as none of the other piped showed any marks at all.

It was certainly a very interesting trip down memory lane; if I get the chance I will scan the photos and post them, but I am not sure my friend will allow that given the subject mater.

So now for the pictures, one of these pipes is a real stand out,

I could tell that this pipe had be smoked but only a few times

I should also note that theses pipes have not seen the light of day since they were put away in 1945 as his wife made him quite. As you might imagine the tenons need some bees wax.

Comments