Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Deer Tongue

Preferences on Deer Tongue blends?  For those that have never heard of it, deer tongue is a plant, your not smoking a animal part.

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I've smoked C&D's Crooner and it was different.  It was very nutty and something I can't describe.  I rather enjoyed it and will smoke it again but not in a regular rotation.
  • Options
    The name itself kinda freaks me out. For those with experience, what does it taste like on the tongue?
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I believe deer tongue produces a vanilla, floral like note without being a casing.  It is a love it or hate relationship amongst smokers.  Personally I rather like it but not an everyday smoke.  Also, I like it in a smaller bowl as I don't think I could smoke it in one of my monsters.  People also say that it can ghost a bowl but I haven't had this experience.
  • Options
    Thanks brother!
  • Options
    deer tongue ! the main source of flavor is a chemical called coumarin. Coumarin is one of the main chemicals used in rat poison. its illegal to use in pipe tobacco in many countries. As far as I know, Coumarin is harmless to humans, as were able to metabolize the compounds effectively in our livers. Coumarin is found in many plants, its what makes the grass smell so good when freshly cut. that's why it was used in pipe tobacco a lot, to boost the aroma and "savoriness" as well as the noticeable vanilla like flavor.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info @drfrankenstein56...very interesting!
  • Options
    It grows darn near everywhere in New Jersey.
  • Options
    I love it in Crooner. Hate it in Gentleman Callers
  • Options
    I've only had it in Crooner, which I like quite a bit.

For a change of pace I sometimes mix Crooner 50/50 with cube cut McCranie's Red Flake, which is very nice. However, given the bright minty vanilla taste of the deertongue, I think an even better mixer for it might be cube cut OGS or Capstan. For those who haven't tried Crooner, the base of it is cube cut burley, and I'm not sure what sort of burning properties would result if you mixed with a ribbon cut tobacco.

In my experience, deertongue will ghost a pipe pretty easily. I dedicated a cob to Crooner to avoid any issues. It's a an MM Diplomat, which I have 3 of, and it only takes a quick sniff to find the Crooner pipe among them with that very unique deertongue whiff.