Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Frosty’s pipe

Frosty the Snowman obviously smokes a Missouri Meerschaum pipe. So which shape do you think he smokes? Think it’s a Legend? Washington? Missouri Pride?

Comments

• Options
    I think he'd smoke the Mark Twain. And in it would be "Corn Cob Pipe And Button Nose".
  • Options
    From his usual pictures, I'd imagine he smokes a Legend, since that's one of the more common shapes. Though like @ghostsofpompeii , I think he should pick up a Twain, or even better, a Country Gentleman.
  • Options
    Maybe a straight stemmed Washington?
    Note to Missouri Meerschaum. Design a pipe called: Frosty's Pipe and release it only during the holiday season.
  • Options
    A candid shot:

• Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    oh Frosty... 
    Anyway, I'm not sure Frosty smokes a Missouri Meerschaum. From what I see in the old kid's cartoon, it has a generous bowl for those long winter nights, and almost looks like a Mark Twain.
    Related image

However, are we sure he's not smoking an Old Dominion? It doesn't appear to have a mouth piece. 

In either case, Frosty couldn't go wrong; I have both and both are fantastic! Though the Old Dominion Shenandoah surprised me and took a prominent place in my collection. 
  • Options
    @DerekJ - I’ve not heard much about Old Dominion. How are they different?
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    edited December 2018
    @jfreedy Eh, not much different in the actual cob, I like corn cob pipes in general, but it's the bamboo stem that really does it for me.  I think it's really comfortable between the teeth, its small like a straw so I find myself "sipping" my pipe, great while working or just sitting back. It's also a good size, not too big to carry around all day, not too small of bowl.   
    Wish I could tell you more about it, but its about as simple a pipe as you can get; a hollow corn cob with a bamboo straw stuck in it, and yet it smokes amazing. 
  • Options
    https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-build-a-snowman-a-better-easier-way-4026624
    << 03 of 04 >>

How to Build a Snowman Pipe

Image home-made snowman pipe
    Don't have a pipe lying around to give your snowman? Make one yourself.  David Beaulieu

If you do not smoke a pipe (or blow bubbles out of a pipe), you may wonder how you are going to furnish your figure with a pipe -- truly a classic look that's not to be missed! -- without buying one especially for the occasion. I'm all about cheap landscaping, so I don't want you to spend any money on this project if you don't have to. That's why I show you how to make your own snowman pipe in this article.

As is so often the case in craft projects, I found it helpful to have at my disposal a glue gun (which also came in handy for making a snowman hat (see below) and a Dremel tool. But you can certainly improvise without these tools.

Snowman pipes can be built out of materials you have lying around the house. It's easy to recycle those materials and make a pipe for a snowman from them. Here's how:

1.  Supplies Needed to Make a Pipe for a Snowman

The following supplies come in handy when making a pipe for a snowman:

• Dremel tool
    • Glue gun
    • Black spray paint
    • Small pill bottle
    • Pencil, straw, butter knife or other long skinny item

You could substitute a drill for the Dremel tool.

To remove the label from the pill bottle, soak the bottle in water before starting. This will loosen the label up and enable you to scrape it off easily.

2.  Join Stem and Bowl to Make Your Snowman Pipe

The pill bottle is the "bowl" of the snowman pipe; you must join it securely to a "stem." I used a straw as the stem for my snowman pipe, but a butter knife is better (see below). If you use a butter knife, insert the handle end into the bottle.

With the Dremel tool, drill a hole through both sides of the bottle (toward the bottom of the bottle) to accommodate the stem. I marked holes with a magic marker prior to drilling, to serve as a guide. Inserting the stem through both sides will provide a firmer, more secure fit.

After you've inserted the stem of your snowman pipe, it's time to fire up the glue gun. Once it's warm, direct some hot glue down the inner sides of the bottle, further securing the stem.

3.  Paint the Pipe for Your Snowman

This comes down to personal preference, but I like the pipe for a snowman to be colored black. So I spray-painted mine. When using spray paint, always make sure you have proper ventilation.

Your snowman pipe is ready to be "smoked."

4.  Note About Pipe Stability (Once It's Stuck Into the Snowman)

On warm days, your snowman pipe may resist staying right-side up. As the snow melts, any holes made in the snowman will widen. Consequently, decorations stuck into those holes (like a snowman pipe) may move around. There are two solutions:

1. Reduce bowl height
    2. Use a flat object for a stem

The taller the bowl, the greater its tendency to flip down. So keep the height of the bowl to a minimum. If you decide later that you've made it too tall, reduce its height. Dremel tools have attachments for such cutting jobs. If you substituted a drill for the Dremel tool, do your cutting with a hacksaw, instead.

If you use a flat object for your stem, such as a butter knife, it won't rotate as easily as a rounded object (for example, a pencil or straw) will. Result: the pipe will hold its position better in the snowman's mouth.

• Options
    Frosty the Snowman Card Game