Home Tobacco Talk

Looking to try Flake and a classic English Blend

Ok guys I'm new to the forum life so I hope starting a new discussion is the right way to do this.... Anyway as my title states I'm looking to branch out from my usual ribbon cut tobaccos. I read up on flakes from some of the PDF files @motie2 has so kindly put out there for us and I've decided thats my next venture. I'm open to suggestions from you gentleman on the different brands and the ones you all like and why. Also for the most part I have been smoking mostly aromatic blends but would love to try some legit english blends. Even after reading I'm slightly confused on what makes it a english blend. I'm assuming its the blends of tobaccos used and the fact it doesn't have a flavor casing on it. So again I want you to lay your knowledge on me and give me brands you like and why you like them. Hope you are all having a great night!

Comments

• @Michael308 I am sure Motie2 will provide one or more of his articles / essays that work to define what constitutes an English Blends but here is my take.
    I will break it out this way, there are two major types of English blends, the English type and the American English type, although arguably you could define more.
    For the most part the one component almost all (qualifier) English blends share is Latakia. I won't get into what latakia is other than to say it is a very smoky tasting tobacco (cured over smoldering fires)
    The classic English blend usually contains Latakia, one or more types of Virginia and Oriental tobaccos.

If I were to recommend an English blend for a first timer it would be one that is balanced and not overwhelming.
    So my  recommendation for you would be G L Please  Westminster.
  • DanfriedmanDanfriedman Master
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Michael308. Westminster is great. I like McClelland's Frog Morton Cellar and Frog Morton best of the English since Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and the other Dunhill blends went away.   

• When I first got into pipe smoking, I tried Boswell's Countryside and Northwoods and found both to be great stepping stones into English blends. Countryside was the milder one of the two, but I think either option would work. As for a flake tobacco, I highly suggest MacBaren's Navy Flake, and while it has a rum topping, I think it might be a good entry point for flakes. If not that, then Orlik Golden Sliced has a lot of fans, and that's a more natural flake.
  • @Michael308
    My favorite flake tobacco is Orlk Golden Sliced. I highly recommend it as an all around great smoking tobacco.
    I have many favorite English tobacco's but I still think Peter Stokkebye, Luxury English is the great mild introduction.
  • Thanks for all the input! I'll be checking into each one here shortly. 
  • @Michael308, I guess you've discovered that you will find many opinions here, as there are a lot of good English blends on the market.  If you ever get a chance to try the John Cotton line, I have found them to be fantastic blends.  I think Pipes and Cigars has them.  Also, Country Squire has one called "Cornishman" which is a nice gentle English blend.
  • @Michael308

An excerpt from http://popvox0.tripod.com/pipes/guide.html
    "Guide to Pipe Tobacco" by Randolph Tracy 

<<English / Balkan blends. We Americans call these "English Blends" but the British simply call them "Mixtures." If one may think of Virginia blends as being the "Queen" of pipe tobaccos, then Balkan blends are certainly the "King." Less sweet by far, more "masculine" in character, and often very rich and full-flavored, these blends are prized and adored by experienced pipe-smokers the world over. Again, for those trying English blends for the first time, "slow down!" Smoked slowly, they are marvelous and relaxing. Smoked too fast, they lose all their flavor and become hot and harsh. These blends contain Latakia in smaller or larger amounts, adding that compelling, rich "smoky" flavor in less or greater measure. Virginias will add sweetness and richness, stoved Virginias a complexity and "plumb- like" flavor. Orientals will add a variety of spicy exotic flavors and aromas and smooth burning characteristics. Perique will add "roundness" and bring other flavors together into a unified whole. Maryland will add a dry, nutty flavor. Burley will moderate and cool the mixture into a milder form, and flavored Cavendish tobaccos will add variety and moderate the "room note" into an aroma more pleasing to most nonsmokers. There are a fantastic variety of Balkan-style tobaccos available today, all of them loved by someone. >>

Attached are two additional selections from the FREE PIPE SMOKING LIBRARY folder that might be of use to you..... One is on flake preparation and the other is descriptive of the complications involved in "English" style tobaccos. Let me know if you want to go deeper.....
  • As far as a flake/classic English. I love quiet nights from GL Pease, it’s an English flake that’s partially rubbed out. Kind of like mcclelland flakes. It’s amazing, strong, and easy on the new flake smoker, it was for me. 
  • Jeff20Jeff20 Connoisseur
    @Michael308 if you like aromatics, i smoke Mac Baren Vanilla Flake alot, and really enjoy it. Burns good, has a great room note, and taste great as well,...but that is imo... everybodys different. Good luck.
  • It is always fun to try new blends and types.
    I would note that the Frog Mortons, mentioned above, have also been discontinued, since McClelland has closed.
    Pease has gotten some mention - well-deserved, I think. For an inexpensive but good quality English blend, I would recommend Peter Stokkebye Proper English.
    For an excellent flake, try Sutliff Virginia Slices.
    Enjoy the journey.
  • These are not flake, but if you want try a mild all day smoke English, here my sugestions: Wild Atlantic by Peterson; Lord Nelson by Sutliff; Cask No 11 by Comoy's. 
  • Tossing my $.02 in : 

there are are lots of blends that are non-aromatic out there. As others have said, most would call a blend English if it features Latakia. Other varieties that are non-aromatic would  include things like Virginias, perique, orientals, and dark fired Kentucky to name a few. 
    I would say that a great start for experimenting with Virgina blends is Orlik golden sliced. It’s bright and grassy with a natural sweetness and a touch of citrus. An ideal place to start with Virgina perique blends would be Escudo navy de luxe. Escudo happens to also be on sale on smokingpipes.com right now. 
    I’d also recommend luxury bullseye flake which is available in bulk. The black cavendish in the center softens the blend a bit and makes it really smooth. 
    Enjoy! 
    And reply with some of your thoughts on what you try
  • Escudo was my favorite VaPer, back in the day.
  • jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited November 2018
    Best mild (introductory) English blends I’ve had so far are...
    - Frog Morton’s Cellar (if you can find it)
    - TCS Cornishman
    - Presbyterian Mixture (more Oriental than English)
    - John Cotton’s Sweet English
    - TCS Shepherd’s Pie

As far as good mild Virginia flakes (no perique)...
    - Peter Stokkebey Luxury Twist Flake (my favorite)
    - 4th Generation 1931 
    - Sutliff Virginia Slices (inexpensive but very tasty)
  • Thanks for all the great input! Ive ordered some that were on sale 2 of which were Orlik Golden Sliced and Peterson Wild Atlantic. I almost pulled the trigger on Escudo but it wasn't on sale on the sight I was on. But I will definitely check into that! Keep the good advice coming! 
  • Well my shipment came in today. First I've tried so far is Orlik Golden Flake. Very enjoyable and my wife loved the aroma, so thats a plus lol. Figure I will try some Peterson Wild Atlantic before I hit the bed tonight. 
  • @Michael308, I hope you are doing well  with your sampling of new blends. I would welcome your thoughts on what you have tried.
  • @Danfriedman I'm doing well thank you. So far I have tried the Orlik Golden, John Cotton's Numbers 1&2, Dunhill's Standard Mixture Mixture, Bosswell's Countryside, Boswell's Pipers Pleasure, and Peter Stokkebye's Luxury English. I'll Break them down for you. 

Orlik Golden was a very pleasant smoke with a light flavor with hints of orange and hay. The smell of it before lighting reminds me of my days living on the farm and hauling hundreds of hay bales. It lasts a long time and with only two lights burns to the bottom of the bowl.
    John Cotton's is also a pleasant smoke. It's not too strong but it gets your attention. Good with a strong cup of coffee or tea. 
    Dunhill's Standard Mixture Mellow is my favorite of the English Blends. It is strong but has a very good flavor that ends slightly sweet.
    Bosswell's Countryside is the strongest of the english blends. It is not an everyday smoke for me. It by no means is unpleasant but it is definitely very strong. But sometimes after work I need a very strong smoke depending on the day I've had. When I do that is my go to tobacco. 
    Peter Stokkebye English Luxury is my least favorite of the english blends. It could be the batch I got. I have had that with other Stokkebye blends. I'll get one and like it and the next batch I get seems different. But with this one it has a definite bite to it. No matter how slow I smoke it, it seems to always be there. It is also came very dry. Again it could be the batch I received and nothing more. May try blending it with some other tobacco at some point.
    Last but certainly not least is Boswell's Pipers Pleasure. Its not an english blend but when I saw it and read the reviews I had to try it. It's one of my favorite go to smokes. It has a great room aroma and a sweet flavor with hints of chocolate and coffee. 

Before trying these I tried some tobaccos from a tobacco shop I found down in Florida during a vacation. It's brand name is Tinderbox tobaccos. I highly recommend them as well. Wilshire and Norse Gold are my favorite from them. 

Captain Black original and Royal are my most used tobaccos for sure though. 

I hope you are well and this grants you the info and answers you wanted! If you have any more questions about any of them please feel free to ask and if you have any other suggestions of tobaccos of any sort to try please send them to me. I always enjoy trying new tobaccos. 

• Hi Michael: If you like Tinderbox Wilshire you might want to try Lane 1Q. They are, um, very similar. 

At the risk of promoting our own products, for an English you might want to try Crown Achievement. 
  • @Michael308, that was an awesome review. I agree 100% with @Leonard as far as crown achievement and 1Q. I use 1Q exclusively for base for all my mixing as well as alone. As was alluded to, many store brands are Lane products.

• Hey @Leonard - it’s great to see Admin joining in the forum discussions again. We always appreciate you guys. 
  • @Michael308, I like Peter Stokkebye English Luxury blend. I purchased mine at my local B&M. This has a campfire smell from the Mason jar and has no bite at all. I have had 10+ bowls and all have been great, easy burning and enjoyable.
  • @Londy3 I actually just tried this one a few days go. It might have just been the batch I received but it had some severe tongue bite and was very dry. But I'll probably give it a try again some day. 
  • @Michael308 - different pipes/sizes and types will often change a tobacco. I have four pipes I rotate through my English blends and I'm surprised at how the different quality and thickness of briar matters to the experience.
  • @Mangoandy

From our friends at G.L. Pease    http://glpease.com/

Matching Pipes and Tobaccos—Part 1

For quite a while, I’ve been attempting to discover some rhyme and reason for why some tobaccos just seem to “work” better in some pipes than others. At first, I looked to the conventional wisdom of my pipe smoking brethren to find answers. “Flakes are better in small pipes.” “Latakia blends are best smoked in larger bowls.” What I found there was a lot of disagreement, both amongst the folklore I collected, and within the context of my own experiences. I had to seek further to find the key to this particular mystery. I attempted to forget everything I thought I knew about the subject, and set out anew.

I have a set of four GBD 9493 pipes, a long shank pot with a short, saddle mouthpiece, that work magic with flakes. “Flakes in a POT? You must be insane!” my compatriots would say. Yet, these four pipes deliver fantastic smokes from any flake tobacco I choose to fill them with. Of course, it took some practice, some patience to learn how to smoke these wide bowls, but it was well worth the effort.

Casting the small/Flake, large/Latakia theory to the winds, I wondered, since these cavernous shapes seemed so well suited for flakes, if the tiny bowled pipes would produce similarly exceptional smoking experiences with Latakia blends. I grabbed a couple of small, straight rhodesians, and smoked them both with a variety of Latakia blends. Superb! Had I found a clue?

At the Richmond show this year, I bought a lovely, large Bonfiglioli, possibly the most capacious pipe I have ever owned. The next morning, it was time for its maiden voyage. Not wanting to dose myself to the point of hallucination with Virginias, which often make my head spin (especially if enjoyed on an empty stomach), I filled it with Abingdon, the fullest Latakia blend in my Classic Collection, yet quite a mild smoke. The flavor was outstanding, and every susequent bowl has been even better. So much for yet another theory—full Latakia in a large pipe tasted just fine.

I began smoking every size and shape pipe with every sort of tobacco I could think of. Still finding nothing conclusive, other avenues had to be pursued. Was it the provenance of the pipe that mattered? Did English pipes work best with Virginias, while Italian pieces had a predilection toward Latakia? It seemed that way to me for a while. After all, I really had enjoyed Latakias in my other Italian pipes. Or, had I? I recalled a beautiful Castello bent bulldog that barked and bit ferociously when Latakia was anywhere near it, yet became as gentle as a puppy with a Virginia/perique blend. It was a small bowl, besides. And, while some Dunhills seemed to work well with Virginias, the majority of those in my collection were dedicated to classic Latakia blends.

Could it be the work of a particular maker, the internal design of the pipe that makes the difference? I’ve smoked the pipes of many makers, and have failed to find that any brand consistently predisposes itself to a specific type of tobacco. The most conistent pipes I own are those of Larry Roush. Every one has been an outstanding smoke from the beginning, with a great clarity of flavor that articulates all that a tobacco has to offer. It’s not long, though, before the pipe begins to speak of its history. Even among Larry’s pipes, I discover that some pieces just take a liking to a particular type of tobacco, while others seem happier with something else. My big bent Roush apple (review) has always been a fantastic Latakia pipe, yet, one day, I filled it with a VA/perique blend, and the thing just came alive in ways I’d never before experienced.

I persisted, trying to isolate the characteristics of the wood from different sources. Curing methods were considered. To date, no consistency has been noted.

Size, shape, wood, maker—not one of these things provides that elusive key. I think Larry said it best when I was talking with him about this. “Every pipe has its own personality.” That’s it. Finding the right tobacco for any pipe is an adventure. Getting to know the pipe’s personality is part of the process of breaking it in.

Some pipes are sweet, some are earthy. Some have a bright taste, occasionally wandering into the territory of “sharpness,” while others are dark, sometimes to the point of being bland. Some have a tendency to add a nut-like taste to the smoke. Every pipe seems to color the flavor of the smoke in a somewhat different way. All of the myriad factors of wood and geometry come together when fire and leaf merge to produce a unique experience.

Wider bowls tend to provide more flavor intensity, with the wood playing somewhat less of a role in the smoke. This makes perfect sense, of course. There’s more tobacco smoldering, and the surface area of the ember increases with the square of the chamber’s radius, while the amount of briar in contact with the ember increases only linearly. Taller bowls result in an increase of the “filtering” action of the tobacco, softening the taste in the beginning of the bowl, and gradually building up greater and greater intensity as the tobacco is consumed. Tapered bowls exhibit somewhat less of this tendency, though if not packed very carefully, they can become so moist at the bottom as to be difficult to keep lit. Shallow bowls seem to hold a purity of the tobacco’s taste longer, if not as intensely.

There seem to be limits, though. A full flavored tobacco in a very tall bowl can build up too much intensity toward the end of the smoke, and can become tiring, or even acrid if everything isn’t just right. Too wide a bowl can yield too much of a tobacco’s nicotine content, if it is high to start with, especially to someone sensitive to its effects.

While I continue to gather data, this whole thing being just part of the enjoyment I get out of this great hobby, I’ll keep hoping to, one day, unlock the door. When I do, I’ll write Part II of this little tale. If others are motivated to play along, so much the better. Keep your logs, look for patterns. But, please, don’t tell me about them. I’ll be too busy enjoying my own experiments to worry about anyone else’s.

Addendum: Over the past several days, I’ve been smoking pipes that didn’t seem quite “right” with the tobaccos I’d been smoking in them. Using the tiny amount of understanding I’ve gained through haphazard “research” methodologies, I’ve been able to predict, with some success, what tobaccos would better suit them. I’m happy to say that a couple pipes with “marginal” smoking characteristics have become brilliant with the right tobaccos. Could there be a method to the madness after all?

• PART 2

A friend of mine dedicates every new pipe to a specific tobacco. I applaud his rigorous bookkeeping, somewhat retentive attention to detail, and his dedication to methodology, but I’ve always wondered if he’s really getting the most out of his experience, or winding up selling some of his pipe and tobacco choices short. How do we know, at the start, what tobaccos will work best with a given pipe? I wish there was some sort of metric, as the process of discovery can sometimes fill a great deal of time.

I often start a pipe out with a Virginia, but not always. A lot depends on the size and geometry of the bowl, and on who made the pipe. I think some makers’ pipes have certain signature tastes, at least early on, that suggest the sort of tobacco they’ll like. Castellos, for instance, have always been best for me with rich, slightly sweet Latakia blends, or with dark Virginia/perique blends. There’s something about their “brightness” that seems to harmonize well with darker flavors, especially during the initial bowls.

If I’m lucky enough to stumble upon a good combination straight away, I thank the fates for the good fortune, and stick with it, or at least dedicate that pipe to the same genre of tobacco. If the original trials are less satisfactory, on the other hand, I’ll embark on a quest to find the right tobacco for the pipe, smoking a few bowls of something different in the thing, repeating the process until stumbling upon the right synergy.

This doesn’t always work out, but when it does, the results can be delightful. I was smoking one of my pipes, a wonderful smoker, with lighter Latakia blends, and it was providing a consistently excellent smoke. One day, I filled it with Stratford, and the result was sublime - almost magical. It’s a large bowl, one that I normally wouldn’t smoke Virginias in, but this combination is exquisite, and I haven’t looked back. It’s my Stratford pipe, and that’s all there is to it. So far, it has not disappointed, delivering a marvelous smoking experience with each bowl, though the lingering Latakia notes in the first few bowls did provide a delightful spice that has gradually dissipated through continued smoking.

More than once, I’ve found a pipe that really didn’t “work” with one blend or genre, and has transformed from ugly duckling to swan with a different tobacco, so if a pipe isn’t delivering, it’s always a good idea to try a different fuel for its fires before giving up on it.

I still can not find any rationale for this behavior in a pipe. Geometry clearly plays a role, as does the curing method of the briar, I suspect. But, each pipe has its own personality, it’s own preferences, it seems. (Though I still do enjoy my flakes in those wide-bowled GBD pots.)

This confounds the exploration of new blends, unfortunately. It’s hardly fair to smoke a tobacco in one pipe, and believe that the blend can be deeply understood. It takes several bowls in a given pipe to truly apprehend the complexities and nuances of a blend, and if it’s the “wrong” pipe, the tobacco can present an unfairly biased view of itself. Nor is it fair to a pipe to judge it based on a few experiences with a specific tobacco type.

On the other side of things, a great pipe that has been found ideal for a specific blend or type, can positively influence a less-than-great blend toward appearing better than it is. More than once, a pipe has delivered a wonderful smoking experience from a blend that just doesn’t perform in any other piece in my collection. Had that fortuitous combination not been discovered early, would I have dismissed the blend offhand? (I’ve sometimes said that I have pipes I could smoke lawn clippings in, and get a delightful smoke out of them. It’s almost true.)

It is the more subtle blends, often, that seem to be the most pipe sensitive. Powerful tobacco flavors often seem to overcome mediocre pipes, but those blends that rely on a quiet voice to express themselves are quite particular about the briar company they keep. This isn’t always the case, though. In particular, I’ve found Virginia blends, which tend to be more subtle, to be more forgiving of the briar in which they’re smoked than spicy, heavier Latakia blends. This seems counterintuitive, but it’s just another example of the complexities of our seemingly simple pastime.

The moral? With pipes and tobaccos, it’s best to give each a fair shot at delivering what it can, rather than relegating it early to some particular category, or worse, to the dustbin. Whilst some may seek rules and guidelines for choosing pipe and tobacco pairings based on cycles of the moon, the colour of the bowl, or the length of the current president’s term of office, without some pretty complex and rigorous scientific exploration, all this can really be is simplistic hand waving and wishful thinking. There’s nothing wrong with circles and arrows, but let’s not confuse them with science.

There’s a good reason Alfred Dunhill called it the “Gentle Art of Smoking,” rather than “The Hard Science.”

-glp