Home General
Options

Veterans Day

Comments

• Options
    Thank you very much, it's nice to know we are appreciated.
  • Options
    May I add a special thanks to our Vietnam vets. What you suffered has taught our society much. Today’s Soldiers still reap the benefits, so your pain was not pointless. 
  • Options
    Salute to all you gentlemen who serve or have served our great country! Happy Veteran’s Day!
  • Options
    Took this picture today at the 45th Infantry Museum in OKC. It's of a WWII vet who's brother was the guy in the picture behind him. This pic was the famous "Time Magazine" pic from when the 45th Infantry invaded Hitler's private quarters. Pretty amazing that I met this gentleman today.

• Options
    Here here, thank you to every TPL who served in our forces for their sacrifice. All of you are braver men than I, and I have the utmost respect for what you've done.
  • Options

Thank you to all who serve to protect our freedom. We don't take you for granted! God bless you all. 
  • Options
    @Oddjob27, That is a terrific story, Sounds like some family history available to you and more digging into family history, you probably would  have a potential book in the making. No doubt it would be difficult but who knows. Just a thought. I new some Korean soldiers and also contractors when I was in Vietnam. A trucking outfit I believe was called Han Jin. Had one man show me how to write my last name in Korean, he took a lot of time with this and got as close as was possible. There were about 50,000 Korean soldiers in Vietnam and I don't think their stories have been told as of yet. They suffered 5,000 dead and who knows how many injured. I did manage to find one book by author Junghyo Ahn called White Badge: A Novel of Korea. Very interesting read.
  • Options
    My Dad is a World War II Vet and discovered a box in his bedroom drawer with a couple dozen medals he earned during the war. But like most Vets from the Greatest Generation he doesn't like to tell war stories or expand upon why and how he got his medals. When he does sit down and tell stories from his days in the war they tend to be light-hearted moments he shared with his fellow soldiers and drinking buddies while in France and England ... keeping the topic light. He was one of the lucky few to survive the storming of Normandy beach. When watching the Tom Hanks movie "Saving Private Ryan" I find it hard to believe anyone survived that bloodbath. That was the true definition of using men as cannon fodder. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, Great account, you must be proud.
  • Options
    While I'm a member of the 10th generation of Veterans in my branch of the family, of our First generation we lost Captain Brackett and one of his sons during the Burning of Falmouth in the French and Indian Wars.
  • Options
    buflosabbuflosab Master
    edited November 2018
    Man that is very interesting, sounds like you have a lot of family history, to be proud of.