Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Split Corncob Pipe

Anyone ever have a corncob Pipe split like this? I’ve had this MM Country Gentleman only a month and a half and smoked it 3-4 times. Stored in normal conditions on a 6-pipe Rack. Went to pick it up today and saw this... 

Comments

• Options
    You might want to contact Missouri Meerschaum and see if you can get a replacement for it. Not sure if they’ll do it, but I’ve seen others who were able to get replacement cobs for similar reasons.
  • Options
    Praider8Praider8 Professor
    edited November 2018
    @thebadgerpiper I sent them an email late Friday. Just waiting to hear back now. From what I’ve read it sounds like it may have just been a bad piece of cob that was used when making the pipe. Still... very surprising thing to see when I go to grab my pipe. 

It also sucks because it has smoked great the few times I’ve been able to use it. 
  • Options
    DanfriedmanDanfriedman Master
    edited November 2018
    I am curious what MM will say. @Praider8 please let us know how they respond to your cobtastrophe. I am betting they will make it good for you. 
  • Options
    I had a little Dagner Poker Cob that I dropped and lost during some chainsaw work in the front yard. I found it a week later with a bunch of cracks in the exterior bowl. It was my fault (no return option), so I patched them with some wood filler, then stained and polished and I've been smoking it ever since. I hate breaking in new cobs.

• Options
    All of my cobs have eventually developed cracks, but certainly not after 3-4 smokes. Like mangoandy, I've used wood filler to patch them and thus far it's resulted in a second life for them. For some reason, I haven't had a problem with them getting additional cracks once the first ones have been patched so it has been worthwhile to fix 'em.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing the outcome.  I was hoping you would have this result.  I have had many MM pipes and would like to think I was supporting a good company. 
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited November 2018
    Ive experienced this as well. After a few smokes, i had cracks on a new MM cob I purchased from Tobaccopipes.com and without hesitation, they sent a replacement!