Home Tobacco Talk
Options

4 Noggins "Three Blind Moose"

I just smoked a bowl of 4 Noggins "Three Blind Moose". I just received this yesterday at which time I opened the bag to a) take a whiff, and b) to fill a pipe to let it dry for today.

I have read a ton of good reviews on this blend. It has been on my radar for some time now. When it arrived yesterday I was so anxious to check it out I immediately gave it the smell test....and it passed with flying colors. It has a very pleasant sweet aroma but I could not pick out any butterscotch as advertised. It seemed to be more of a light honey aroma, nd very nice in its' own right. The filled pipe sat on my deck in "the on deck circle" for the night and I several times kind of puffed on the yet unburnt tobacco.

I have a rule that I will not pass judgement on any blend until I have smoked it at least 3 times in various pipes, and conditions. So today I was in my garage watching a beautiful autumn day, wind blown leaves, puffy white clouds below a blue sky backdrop. And I lit that pipe up (a Savinelli Dolomiti Briar) and enjoyed the majority of the next hour, And what a time well spent.

Again, no real "butterscotch" notes to point out. It was a very subtle smoke with hints of sweetness which to me was more like a honey or a sweetened vanilla flavor. At a couple of points I thought I started to pickup a butterscotch type note only to lose it.

I was amazed how dry it smoked, and at the end of the mission I was left with zero dottle, glop, or anything else except dry whitish grey ash to dump. My hope is that after some rest the magical butterscotch notes will surface, but even if they don't I will not be disappointed. Stay tuned for the review after the second and third bowls.