Home General
Options

Enthusiasts in Delaware

JdukesJdukes Apprentice
edited October 2018 in General
I’ve recently renewed my love for the pipe (thanks to Country Squire Podcast) after a 3 year hiatus. I have been blessed enough to have my two best friends also join me even though it’s a new venture for them. We now enjoy monthly smokes on my front porch together. 

I have not met many other pipe enthusiasts in lower Delaware and there is little in the way of retail from what I could find. If anyone out there knows of any in this area I’d be grateful for the info. 

Thanks and cool smoking!

Comments

• Options
    JdukesJdukes Apprentice
    Looks like I’m going to need to get some local Pipe smokers started. Haha
  • Options
    I built a "Starter Kit" for a few friends. Basically a corn cob, 10 pipe cleaners, a golf tee (tamper), and a few pinches of aromatic. I've been able to bring a few friends into the hobby. Hoping they stick to it haha.
  • Options
    JdukesJdukes Apprentice
    Man that is a great idea. I’ve has luck getting two to try it and they join me monthly for good discussion, good drinks, and good tobacco. Smoking my pipe is so relaxing, I thoroughly enjoy it when I can add others to my evening ritual. 
  • Options
    @Oddjob27
         Hmm, I have given out six “starter” kits to friends/acquaintances. Two were to cig smokers, and the rest were either non or light cigar smokers.  None have stuck with it.  The kits were all decent briar pipes supplied with a wide variety of tobacco samples, that ran the full gamet of tobacco styles.  Included in my kits were pipe cleaners and horseshoe nail tampers that I made/modified.  Some even got better tampers and more than one pipe.  
         I am definitely NOT going to try to convert anymore cig smokers, crazy waste of my time and resources.  Non or cigar smokers maybe?  I think that most of the cigar smokers I know won’t try a pipe anyway.....not manly enough for them, seems to be an “image” thing.
  • Options
    JdukesJdukes Apprentice
    @RockyMountainBriar

I like that you went all out, very impressive. The two I’ve “converted” were both non smokers, or cigar on occasion smoker. I have two other friends I tried to get them to try it (a cigarette smoker and a non smoker) and neither willing. But I think you hit the nail on the head about the image idea. The non smoker who declined and also my own wife for that matter, throw a certain stigma on ALL smokers, and I do not think all kinds of smoking need to be grouped together as one. Hard to change mindsets though. 
  • Options
    DerekJDerekJ Enthusiast
    Man, I wish I was still stationed at Dover.  I was in the Air Force and left there back in '10. There was a tobacconist in Wilmington that I remember being pretty good, they had a very nice assortment of pipe tobaccos and cigars, of course this was 8 years ago but I googled them and they're still there; it's Tobacco Village at 4011 Concord Pike # B, Wilmington, DE 19803.  Might be worth checking them out if you haven't already, most of the tobacco shops I know of in South Delaware were mostly for cigarettes, cigars and pipes not made for tobacco.  On the bright side, Delaware is small enough that a trip to Wilmington might not be out of the question.  Wish I could help you out more. I'm in the same situation here, no one seems to smoke pipes and there's only one tobacconist shop that's mostly cigars.
    Best of luck to you and cool smoking!