Home General
Options

Leather tobacco pouch

FozzieFozzie Apprentice
As a relative newby (2yrs) to the pipe tobacco world I’ve kept things simple (cobs and a little Captain Black) I’ve never seen a leather tobacco pouch. 
I drive long haul and am veeeery rarely around a brick and mortar store. Would someone explain the purpose, use and construction of said pouch? Lined, unlined, zipper to kept tobacco from falling out? I got the basic idea from some posts but would like to know what people prefer in a pouch and why? I plan on making myself one. 

Comments

• Options
    Consider the tobacco pouch a temporary means of transportation as you go from point 'A' to 'B'. When you return home, dump the remaining contents back into your jar to retain freshness. Regardless of the type you buy - and whether it has a zipper of simply folds ... it is subject to drying out the tobacco if housed in the pouch for any length of time. The zippered pouches seem to be the worse in terms of length of time before the tobacco dries out. I seldom fill a pouch to capacity, and instead fill it enough for a few bowls ... or the approximate amount I expect to smoke during my outing.  
  • Options
    I prefer roll up pouches, although I've been known to carry tobacco in an old rectangular Erinmore Flake tin. Fits neatly in a rear jeans pocket, or jacket pocket.
  • Options
    I just finished a new leather tobacco pouch myself🙂.  Just some scrap pieces from the local leather store.  I started to hand stitch it (the inside flap-pouch) but the leather was too thin.  I finished it with a sewing machine.  A seamstress I am not, but it will hold, stitches just not even.  I only broke two needles, both when trying to sew through the two layers of leather and the thong ties.  I just ran the machine slowly by hand and it worked fine to sew them in.
  • Options
    I have a pouch like the one above. It is great for when I go to my pipe club. It holds a pipe or maybe two and enough tobacco for the trip. But it is not really necessary when I walk from my back door to the detached garage. 
  • Options
    I've got a couple of pouches.  They're rarely used because they don't maintain proper moisture for my tobacco. They're fine for short term use though.  I generally just bring my jars with me if I'm going to my B & M or anywhere else where I can fire up a bowl.
  • Options
    FozzieFozzie Apprentice
    Thanks for the advice. I will plan out a pouch today, hopefully.
  • Options
    I have a real nice leather one too. I use it to take with me on the go and on trips. Very handy and compact.
  • Options
    I used a simple leather roll pouch for years to hold my pipe and some cleaners and a few tools, but I felt I needed room for a few more items so I purchased the following item on Amazon. Perfect for pipe nights. I take three pipes, tools, cleaners and a tin of tobacco (with room to spare): Maxpedition Beefy Organizer
  • Options
    @mangoandy
    I've carried a Maxpedition wallet for over a decade; invulnerable to wear. I'll check out the item you recommend.
  • Options
    I have a Maxpedition Thermite thigh pack that I use as my hunting pack.  It is packed with a small assortment of outdoor survival gear.  It is awesome.  I carry two of the foldout dump bags on the belt as well.  They fold up to a small size, but when deployed can carry oodles of stuff...empty shell cases, water bottles, whatever.  I also carry the small round Otis "tactical" cleaning kit on the belt.  Along with whatever pistol/holser I am using at the time.  Maxpedition is very well made, almost as good as RED OXX :)  RED OXX is a bit pricey, but tough....as an ox :)  Guaranteed for life, even the zippers, if any.
  • Options
    I have one Peterson pouch. It works fine for my daily needs.
  • Options
    Here is my leather pouch in action... stopped off to my new local B&M and did some work while enjoying a new English blend.