Home Ask an Expert
Options

A Repair Job Conundrum

So, I picked up a Jobey filtered pipe off of ebay last week and restored it. Last night, I gave it a test run, but ran into an issue I haven't encountered before. Upon the charring light, I noticed that I my draw wasn't the best, despite packing it normally. When the tobacco lit, smoke started seeping between the shank and stem. I ended up having to put some masking tape between the two to finish the pipe, but obviously I don't want to do this every time I smoke my pipe. The part of the stem that has the filter has two small cuts in the metal, which I'm guessing is where the smoke is finding a way out. My question is, if I get this Savinelli filter adapter, will this fix the job, or is there something else I should do?

Comments

• Options
    It will depend on how much room you have in there, the filter replacement is about an inch long i believe. Maybe even a tad longer, so if it is 6mm and over an inch of space in there, it may work, thankfully it’s cheap enough to give it a shot and see
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper
         I think your idea for an adapter should work.  I have some that have a little O-Ring that hold and seal very well.  They are made by 8deco and maybe Vauen or Brebbia?  Anyway, Smokingpipes.com has 8deco, (2) for $2.
         The stem must fit pretty loosely?  That being said, you might try cleaning the shank very, very well with alcohol, then carefully run a thin layer of cyanoacrylic in the shank, don’t over do it.  Then take a drill bit that just fits without really touching the sides and spin it BY HAND AND COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (assuming a right hand twist drill bit) VERY CAREFULLY.  Make sure the glue has set!  You don’t want to glue the stem in.   Then gingerly test fit the stem.  If the stem is still loose, add a smidge more cyanoacrylic.  If it is too tight move up to the next closest drill size and repeat the process, (always by hand and always counter-clockwise and always very lightly).  USE CAUTION, IT IS ACTUALLY PRETTY EASY TO CRACK A SHANK.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice @TaylorJDutton and @RockyMountainBriar !

Rocky- oddly enough, the stem is a snug fit in the shank. I spent a long time using q-tips and pipe cleaners scrubbing the junk out with everclear. If the adapter doesn't work, I'll give that a try next.
  • Options
    I discovered on more than one occasion why it was that the original owner of a pipe - sold it. Some invisible flaws that don't really show up until you try smoking the pipe. I bought a pipe that originally had a Meerschaum lined bowl. Somewhere along the line the bowl must have cracked and was completely removed. And this change in essence altered the positioning of the draw hole preventing the tobacco to be burned all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The Meerschaum lining must have been relatively thick at the bottom because the draw hole is a good inch or more from the bottom of the bowl. So it only allows me to smoke about a half bowl before going out, wasting the rest of the tobacco. Before discovering the YouTube community and on-line forums like The Pipeline I was unaware of such things as pipe mud, which probably would have solved my problem. But one day in a fit of rage while on the job I simply tossed the pipe into one of the furnaces at US Steel.   
  • Options
    That'll learn it......
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper
         Very strange, I have oodles of estate pipes and never had one “leak”.  Well except for a really, really, cheap basket pipe that I got in a group/lot of pipes.  It had a huge...and I mean huge fill in one side of the bowl....all the way through.  When I cleaned out the loose fill, I was left with a 1/8” diameter, maybe larger? hole, clean through the side of the bowl.  This was a factory fill on a rusticated pipe, not an aftermarket repair fill.  Now that is the definition of a basket pipe.  I kept the stem, it was no so bad, and tossed the stummel.  I think it is only about the second or third pipe I figured was not worth the hassle of restoring.
         One of the reasons I stay away from rusticated pipes.  I hate rustication like I hate mimes and clowns, they are not to be trusted, they are trying to cover up something.  I’m sure of it.
         Good luck with the pipe, hope it works out.

Oh, I forgot about my homemade corncob pipe, it leaked from the sides as well....until I plastered and waxed it up.  I might have drilled the bore a bit too large🤫
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Ouch, that's a bummer about that estate pipe. With the one I bought, the seller said it was their grandfather's pipe, and based on the other nick knacks they had for sale, I'm inclined to believe them. If it's a total loss, I'm out of only $15, so while annoying, it's not a heart breaker.