Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Peterson stem replacement

Did I read somewhere that you can send a Peterson pipe in and they will replace the stem? Or was I just dreaming. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I believe you is dreaming, never hear about . But ask Smokingpipes.com, they are Peterson owners now.
  • Options
    I know they used to fit stems to their pipes, i'm not certain about currently.  I sent mine to Mike over at Walker Pipe Repair and he did a great job.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. 
  • Options
         Walker Pipe Repair does a great job.  I had him make a stem for my old Peterson “Dublin & London”.  He can make the stems without damaging any of the shank nomenclature.  He makes a casting of the shank and works off of that (brilliant).  I sent Peterson an email first about getting the stem replaced on the same pipe and they said they could make a new stem, but could NOT guarantee they could save the stamping.
         I have made lots of stems for “estate” pipes myself, and do a hell of a job (if I do say myself), but I did not want to chance obliterating the shank nomenclature with this particular pipe.  
         The old “Dublin & London” series were a higher grade Pete.....well, so is the new series with their cool stem color.  Which, by the way, I would like to get, but none of the shape/stem combos “tripped my trigger” enough to drop the ~ $225.  I was so looking forward to them too🙁
  • Options
    @RockyMountainBriar -- I cannot even imagine dropping two hundred dollars on a pipe. But, then again, I'm just a poor retired country parson......
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    @motie2
         Well, I do not have a SWMBO, or any children....or anyone that gives a care about me, so I spend money on myself, and my good buddy Scrat, keeping him in kitty kibbles, treats, and clean litter.  As the old adage goes “You can’t take it with you”.
        I have worked full time consistently for over 30 years and have paid my fair share (probably more than my fair share) of taxes.  I have never been on welfare or any type of assistance except some very small (<$5000 total) school grants and unemployment for less than three months back in 2004.  I have been blessed with good health (so far).  I’m not rolling in cash, but I don’t have big expenses either.  I understand where you are coming from though.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Update on the  Peterson needing a stem replacement....... After putting in several hrs of cleaning and inspecting it appears I won't be needing a stem. The bowl has a crack. So back to the hunting game. I picked it up in a box of old pipes at a 2nd hand store so I'm not out any  . It's fun and a good hobby. 
  • Options
    @Azmtnboy - Well hang on to the stem anyway. You may find a pipe it will fit or someone else on here could find themselves looking for one.