Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Favorite Blends

Thought this might be interesting, listing my 15 favorite blends that I purchase on a consistent basis, others are welcome if so desired, of course like many of you I'm still experimenting. These blends are not in order of preference. Barbados Plantation, Sutliff Sunset Rum, Sutliff Vanilla Custard, Sutliff Xmas Spice, Sutliff Pumkin Spice, Sutliff Creme Brûlée, Sutliff Spicey Vanilla. East India Officers Club, C&D Autumn Evening, C&D Green River Vanilla, Lane VBC, Captain Black Royal, Russ Snow Drift, Russ Candy Corn, Russ Candy Cane Cocoa. There you have it.

Comments

• Options
    English Blends and Latakia Blends - One and the Same? (edit)
    By Bob Tate

I normally use the term ‘Latakia Blend(s)’ and not ‘English Blend(s)’ when I am talking about a blend that contains Latakia tobacco. The reason why I don’t like to use the term English Blend when associating it with Latakia is because the addition of Latakia into a blend does not make it an English blend. I have no idea where that connection started from and most people that I have talked with whom are from Great Britain do not understand it either.

I believe that the term ‘English Blend’ started being used in the American pipe tobacco market. Maybe they began using it to distinguish between English blends of the day that were manufactured under the tobacco purity laws of Great Britain and the blends that were made in America. It is also possible that it may have started off as a marketing gimmick that caught fire and spiraled out of control. Regardless of how it started, it is erroneous to refer to all blends that contain Latakia as ‘English Blends’.

Have you noticed that most every English pipe tobacco manufacturer uses the word Latakia and not the word English on their blend names and descriptions?
    English blends were originally called English blends because they were made in Great Britain and also because of the old, now repealed, Tobacco Purity Laws that had to be adhered to in Great Britain at the time. Because of the purity laws, all additives to tobacco blends were very restricted and very limited. You could not add much, if any, flavorings to the tobacco; and additives such as preservatives, humectants, etc. were not allowed. Therefore all of the English blends back then were considered pure tobacco blends. All blends that were produced in Britain at that time had to fit within the parameters of the purity laws and were all considered English blends.

This means that all blends that were made in Great Britain under the purity laws, whether or not they contained any Latakia, were known as English Blends.
    Did they use Turkish and Oriental tobaccos as well as Latakia in some of the blends produced there? Of course they did. And they used a lot more of those types of tobacco than American blenders of the time period did. They used those types because they are naturally more aromatic and flavorful than most types of other tobacco without the use of many, if any, additives. But keep in mind, not all blends that were made back then contained some of these types of tobacco. Unfortunately, the two words ‘English’ and ‘Latakia’ have now become synonymous with each other when talking about pipe tobacco.

A straight Virginia or Burley blend that was made under the purity laws was considered an English Blend as opposed to a blend that was made in America where they did not have to work under the confinements of the purity laws. That is where the distinction between ‘American Blends’ and ‘English Blends’ began. It is just so happens that at that time, Americans preferred to add flavorings to their pipe tobacco.

British tobacco companies also used quite a bit of Perique in their blends to add flavor and aroma without the use of additives. [1] So why do people call blends that contain Latakia ‘English Blends’ but they do not call Virginia/Perique blends ‘English Blends’? I’m sure that Virginia/Perique blends were more popular in Great Britain long before they became popular in America.

[edited: a discourse on "American Blends."]

Another term that has been, and is still being, used incorrectly is ‘English Style Blend’. This term is being used to describe the same thing as an ‘English Blend’; a blend that contains Latakia. With that being said, the term ‘English Style Blend’ can be a relative term if it is used correctly. Since there was a distinct way and style that English blends were made during the times of the tobacco purity laws, this term can be used to describe blends that are now being made in that tradition. But that tradition is not solely the use of Latakia; it is the use of no additives.

[edit]

[comtinued]

• Options
    Part 2

Here is a list of simplified terms that I use and how I define them:

• English Blend – Blends that are made in the UK.
    • American Blend – Blends that are made in the U.S.A.
    • Latakia & Balkan Blends – Blends that contain a noticeable amount of
    Latakia. [2]
    • Oriental Blend – Blends that contain a large amount of Oriental tobaccos.
    • Virginia/Perique Blend (VA/Per) – Blends that contain Virginia tobaccos and Perique.
    • Virginia/Oriental Blend – Blends that contain a larger portion of Virginia than Oriental.
    • Aromatic Blend – Blends that contain added flavorings that are not natural to the tobacco.
    So in conclusion and back to the original question, which is also the title of this article:
    English Blends and Latakia Blends - One in the Same? The answer is; No, they are not the same.

[edit]

Balkan Blend. This is one of the most debated and discussed subjects amongst pipe smokers when talking about blend genres. This is a subject that can seem very confusing because there doesn’t seem to be any real, clear cut, definitive definition for Balkan Blends. It seems to me that the definition for Balkan Blend is based solely on conjecture and personal opinion.

[edit]

Before I started the switch from pastime to hobby, I just called English and Balkan blends Latakia blends because they both contain a good portion of it in their recipes. But then as I learned more about what the majority of pipe smokers call them, I started to use the terms English and Balkan. I at least understood what the perceived definition of an English blend is, but I never really understood, or could find a definitive answer to what a Balkan blend is and what the difference between the two types of blends are. After more research, I came to the conclusion that those two terms where used incorrectly and decided to just go back to calling them both Latakia blends and I never gave the subject anymore thought. Then I read G.L. Pease’s inaugural article for our site - What is a Balkan Blend?

There is a lot of great information in his article that I will not re-hash in this one and I highly suggest that if you haven’t read it yet, that you do so as soon as possible. After reading his article, it once again sparked my interest in trying to find out exactly what a Balkan Blend really is. Like before, during my research, I found it extremely difficult to find any information on the subject and it seems to me that the only classification for a Balkan Blend would be the addition of Oriental tobacco leaf varietals that are used in making up that style of blend.

Although the tobacco varietals are called Oriental tobaccos, they are not from Asia. They are actually from the Mediterranean region
    where the Balkans are located. The Balkans are also referred to as The Balkan Peninsula and most, but not all, of the Oriental tobacco varietals come from the Balkans. Greece, Macedonia, and Thrace are all located within the Balkan Peninsula with Turkey, Syria, and Cyprus located to the east, and outside, of the Balkans. So while all tobaccos that are grown within all of these regions are called Oriental tobaccos, only the ones grown within the Balkans are Balkan tobaccos. Does this information clear some things up or does it make it more complicated? For me, it complicates the matter even more.

Based off of that information it would seem that Balkan Blends should contain not just any Orientals, but Orientals from the Balkan region. But somehow the term Balkan Blend has come to be known as a blend that contains a good quantity of Latakia and any Oriental tobaccos. It has become common perception that a Balkan Blend contains Latakia, but most Latakia is actually made from Turkish tobacco. While Turkish tobaccos are also Oriental tobaccos, they are not from tobaccos from within the Balkans.

As G.L. Pease states in his article, the term Balkan Blend started being widely used because of Balkan Sobranie. Balkan Sobranie might also explain where the presumption came from that the inclusion of Latakia is necessary in a Balkan Blend.

But if the term Balkan Blend is used in the way that it probably should be, which is the use of Oriental tobaccos from the Balkan region, couldn’t all blends that contain them also be considered Balkan Blends whether or not the addition of Latakia is present? Take for example the Grand Orientals line from McClelland Tobacco. There are a few different blends within that line that do not contain any Latakia, but they do contain large quantities of Oriental tobaccos from the Balkan region. Based off of the information that I have obtained, would they not also be considered Balkan Blends?

[edit]

It seems to me that the definition of what truly is a Balkan Blend is left to individual interpretation. I can not find any definitive proof or definition as to what makes a Balkan Blend a Balkan Blend, and it seems that it relies on personal opinion and individual interpretation.

• Options
    Now, about aromatics

http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2014/07/about-aromatics/

About Aromatics

Aromatic pipe tobaccos comprise one of the most contentious topics among pipe smokers. Among enthusiasts, they’re almost universally derided for a variety of reasons. But this is still, far and away, the largest-selling segment of pipe tobaccos, especially if you include the OTC semi-aromatics in the group. When you look at the all-day pipe smoker, this group of blends dominates. If someone buys 5 lbs. of McClelland’s 5100, they’re probably cellaring, but if someone buys 5 lbs. of 1-Q, that’s probably what they’ll be smoking for a couple of months or more.

I don’t generally smoke aromatics but by the nature of my job, I have to try new ones and have to develop aromatic blends regularly, so I have more than a passing familiarity with them. Part of the reasons I’m writing this is to address some of the issues that many people have with the genre, so here we go...

Aromatics are created to cover up poor quality tobacco. I’d like to say that this is categorically untrue, but that would be a lie. There certainly are heavily top-dressed blends that are a means to making use of lower quality leaf. But there are a number of aromatics that use top-shelf tobacco, and you can generally figure out which ones are, because they tend to be more delicately flavored to allow the top-dressing to enhance, not mask, the underlying leaf.

Aromatics are overly moist and will gunk up your pipes. Again, this is certainly true of some blends, but there are many that don’t fall into this group. My own Hearth & Home Signature Series Berry Nice is a very aromatic black Cavendish with a lot of berry flavor, but it is actually dry to the touch. This is because no humectant (a moistening agent) is added to it. Humectants, not flavorings, are usually the culprit with overly-moist tobaccos.

Many people say that they don’t smoke cased tobaccos at all. You may think that this is a true statement when in actuality it’s probably not. Almost

all Virginias and Burleys have some kind of casing added to make them more palatable. What you may really mean is that you don’t smoke tobaccos that have beentop-dressed.This is an area of confusion for many, if not most pipe smokers. Casing has a subtle influence on flavor, and usually very little influence on aroma. Casings are applied early on in processing, and the tobacco is dried back to a normal level using heat. Top-dressings are applied at the end, and use alcohol or some other carrier to infuse the tobacco, which is then allowed to dry naturally. Top-dressings don’t impact flavor very much at all, but they are what you smell when someone is smoking an aromatic.

Aromatics are heavily chemical-laden. Again, this is not always true, but it can be. The thing is, there are a number of non-flavored or minimally-flavored blends that contain some additives. Humectants are often added to keep tobaccos moist, regardless of whether they’re flavored or not. Most tobacco is treated with an antifungal or antimicrobial to keep mold from forming, and as I mentioned before, most Virginias and Burleys are cased, regardless of whether the blend is an aromatic or not. In any case, all of the additives used are tested and considered safe for the purpose, or they wouldn’t be used. Where some of the confusion comes from is the laundry list of additives used in cigarettes, but pipe tobacco is a far different story.

Flavorings contribute to tongue bite. This has more to do with the individual and how he or she smokes than the casings and top-dressings. In fact, one of the reasons to use a casing is to help minimize bite. Some top dressings may cause discomfort for certain people based on body chemistry and the way they smoke, while others won’t be affected at all. If the statement were absolutely true, then there are blends that no one would smoke, but a lot of the tobaccos that have a reputation for bite are enjoyed by a wide audience.

People only smoke aromatics to please the people around them. There are plenty of pipe smokers who rarely smoke around anyone else, and the majority of them still smoke aromatics. The truth of the matter is that

aromatics are best for people who enjoy a mild flavor but who smoke too hard or fast to be Virginia fans. Those who like sweetness but puff fast or hard would never get away with regular Virginias.

• Options
    @motie2, Thank you very much, as usual you are a wealth of information. So good to hear from you.Just haven't been able to jump ship on aromatic blends and try the English blends. I get turned off just by the smell of the English blends. If you or anyone else on TPL know of a nice aromatic English blend I would be willing to give it a try. I guess from the lack of feedback on my Favorite blend question went over like a fart in church. Well you can't win them all I guess.
  • Options
    @buflosab -- Last time around (1964-mid '80's) I smoked only English style blends, including several Dunhill's, Mac Barens and Balkan Sobranie. When I took up the pipe again in summer of 2018, I found myself drawn to the sweet Sutliff aromatics. These days I only smoke Sutliff Barbados Plantation and Lane's VBC.
  • Options
    @motie2, Thanks for the reply, looks like we are in the same boat. It's great you have it narrowed down to a couple of blends, as for me still trying with other blends. One of these days!
  • Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    I'm eclectic I've got Heinz 57 variety or bask in Robbins 31 flavors tendencies.I can smoke full English for a hopeful then aromatic goopers later on.kind of why hybrid or crossovers appeal to me
  • Options
    @Pipepal -- My experience has been that better quality aromatics are not "goopy."
  • Options
    @buflosab — Have you tried Frog Morton’s Cellar? With its Wiskey stave it has a nice smell and flavor but still a mild English. There’s a reason it’s the world’s favorite bridge (from aro to English) tobacco. Of course it’s hard to find nowadays but worth a try if you get the chance. It’s my #1 all time favorite pipe tobacco!
  • Options
    @jfreedy, actually I have not,but if I can find this blend I will certainly give it a try. Thank you for the recommendation.
  • Options
    @buflosab I would recommend Just For Him's Shortcut to Mushrooms. It's an aromatic with Latakia in it, which could veer it towards an English. I'd also recommend C&D's Black Frigate. It's a Navy blend, but there's enough in there that I think you might find it of interest.

As for my favorite blends, I tend to favor Virginia, VaPer, and Burley blends. I'll list the fifteen that I enjoy the most in no particular order: C&D's Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, Exhausted Rooster, Briar Fox, Black Frigate, Blockade Runner, Bayou Morning, Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, MacBaren's Navy Flake, Orlik Golden Sliced, Stokkebye's 4th Generation 1855, G&H's Ennerdale Flake, F&K's Lancer Slices, Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, and McClelland's Frog Morton on the Bayou.

• Options
    PipepalPipepal Newcomer
    Been smoking the seven seas line from macbaren as of late because it's consistent.I know what to expect
  • Options
    @Pipepal, Have also tried Mac Baren 7 Seas Black Blend,really a nice smoke, thank you for the comment.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper, thank for your comments and information, looking over your favorite blends,it occurs to me I haven't tried any of them.The only one I came close to was Seattle Pipe Club Columbia River. Again thank you for taking the time to post your information.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2018
    A question: 

I've noticed several of you are enjoying Sutliff Sunset Rum. Being a Sutliff fan (esp. Barbados Plantation) I curious as to whether any of you can compare the two rum blends?
  • Options
    buflosabbuflosab Master
    edited August 2018
    @motie2, I know I'm repeating myself on this question, but just to make a contribution to your ?. I see no comparison between the above mentioned blends. I like both, but far as taste and Rum flavor BP is superior. I buy Sunset Rum quite a bit, really can't go wrong with either of these blends. Sort have gotten away from the fruity blends in the past year and have been drawn to the Rum or Vanilla type blends.

• Options
    That's how I landed on BP and Lane VBC.
  • Options
    @buflosab -- Given all you've written above, why are you and others smoking the Sunset Rum. I tried it, and as you pointed out ,".....but far as taste and Rum flavor BP is superior." 

So what's the appeal of Sutliff's Sunset?

• Options
    @motie2, I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I'll stick my nose in anyway. I agree that the BP is the superior of the two. For me, it's really a matter of practicality & economy. I mentioned somewhere else that I smoke multiple bowls a day, most of those coming when I am preoccupied with other activities but still want an enjoyable pipe in my mouth. The Sunset Rum is a good-tasting rum blend that comes in economical bulk pricing and is perfect for most of those middle of the day kind of bowls. It isn't disappointing at all. But if I'm sitting down to savor the tobacco....then it's BP for which I opt.

Btw, if the shipping doesn't put someone off.....Pipes&Cigars has BP on sale for 3.50 a tin.
  • Options
    @motie2, Let me try to make some sense of comparison between BP and Sunset Rum.I view BP as a special blend smoked on special occasions. When I stated BP was a superior blend it was meant that the rum taste was more pronounced.As @Bloodhound61stated it's a matter of more bang for the buck, and frequency of smoking a certain blend. I view SR as a viable alternative because of that reason. Hope this makes some sense.
  • Options
    @Bloodhound61 and @buflosab -- Thank you for your responses. I appreciate your comments.

BTW, for those interested in exploring rum blends:

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/shop/?q=rum+pipe+tobacco
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/search#q=rum

I stopped looking when I found Barbados Plantation. Is there something better, even if a bit pricier than the Sutliff Private Stock blends?

• Options
    I have a tin of Barbados Plantation that bought last month. Will give it a try. Thank you for the tip.
  • Options
    Bradley at StuffandThings on YouTube discusses who might take over production of Dunhill recipes: Kohlhase & Kopp or our own STG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HfYL6kJuH4
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited February 2020
    In loving loving memory of the McClelland Frog Morton blends

• Options
    Cult Blood Red Moon, Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish, Lane BCA, Lane Dark Red, Mac Baren 7 Seas Black, Mac Baren 7 Seas Original, Russ' Bass Pond, Russ' Trout Stream, Sutliff Barbados Plantation,  Sutliff Sunset Rum,  Sutliff Vanilla Custard, Sutliff Creme Brûlée, Mac Baren 7 Seas Black, Mac Baren 7 Seas Original.

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @bbrown626

You’ve nailed the Sutliff blends, especially the Barbados Plantation