Home Ask an Expert

Pipe Tenon

I have a Comoy that has a very loose tenon. Is there something I can do to fix it or do I have to send it away? Thanking you in advance.  Bob

Comments

• @Azmtnboy A very simply fix is to rub a little wax on the tenon before slipping it back into the body of the pipe. I have a nice chunk of bees wax, but I'm sure a little candle wax would be just as good ... and probably something you have in the house. There are several procedures which include lightly heating the tenon with a lighter than gently pressing down on it to spread it out just a bit - you can find the way to properly do it on YouTube - but the safest way is the bees wax. YouTube is a great source for learning quick and easy fixes for various pipe problems. Everything from your loose tenon problem to rehydrating dry tobacco.    

• @Azmtnboy
         First let me say, this method only really works well on vulcanite tenons...other materials are much more difficult to heat without melting them.
         I use a small electronics rework hot air pencil.  I have also used an alcohol burner to slightly heat the tenon, but it is not very easy to control the heat.  The hot air pencil applies heat to a very small area around the tenon much more accurately, then I just push the tenon straight down (lightly) on a flat surface as perpendicular as possible and let it cool. You have to be very careful when installing the stem!  If it is expanded too much and it is forced, there is a very real possibility of cracking the shank badly.  It is easier to crack the shank than you would imagine.  If it is too tight, or canted/offset, just heat the tenon and try again.  Vulcanite has a memory and will mostly go back to its’ original shape/size, and try again.