Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Random Act of Tobacco: Clearing out My Cellar

PaulKeithPaulKeith Apprentice
edited August 2018 in Tobacco Talk
Hi everyone - my wife and I are expecting our first child and with this, I promised my wife I would cut back my pipe smoking significantly. However, the last thing I want is for great tobacco to go to waste. I have accumulated quite a few samples of tobaccos (all kept sealed in jars) over the past couple of years that I would like to share with you all. There are Englishes, Virginia’s and some Lakelands that I’m looking to offload that I just fear I won’t get to smoke any time soon. I am not going to list out everything but think somewhere in the range of 7-10 samples (1-2 oz) of high quality tobacco. I know I don’t post here often but I have given away some stuff in the past to @Londy3, so he can vouch that it’s not a scam. 

So, in order to apply for this give away, please reply here, tell me a very quick bit about your pipe journey, the tobaccos you’ve enjoyed, any favorites and those you don’t enjoy. 

I’ll cover postage on this. Just want this tobacco to go to a good home.

Comments

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited August 2018
    @PaulKeith, thanks for doing this.  There are many who would enjoy your gifts.  Started my pipe journey after watching "The Hobbit", and have been keen on it ever since .  I started out with aromatics, but over the last three years have taken to Virginia's and English blends, particularly stoved Virginia.  If you happen to have some stoved Virginia, I'd gladly accept it. Thanks again.
    PS Congrats on your child coming!!!
  • Options
    @PaulKeith - I understand you wanting to please the wife but would you answer some questions first? Just how much do you smoke on a daily basis and how much tobacco do you have in your cellar? As a man who has been married for 43 years to the same woman, has 4 kids, including one with asthma and allergies, and 9 grand-kids, I can tell you that you can smoke your pipe and have a family. The keys are:

1. Don't smoke inside your house or car. While the science behind second and third hand smoke is very dubious, make the effort in a show of good faith.
    2. Change your shirt, wash your face and hands before handling the baby. Actually, I'm a proponent of washing the hands and face or beard with unscented soap because it reduces all germs.
    3. Don't smoke more than one bowl a day. 

Best of luck with the baby. I used the above rules and ours have grown up to be an executive chef, high school football coach, photographer and elementary school teacher.
  • Options
    Good advice. My wife and daughter both have asthma and are allergic to smoke.  I smoke outside. Once I come in, my clothes go in the wash and I jump in the shower. Do whatever is necessary. 

But it appears you have the correct attitude at this point.
  • Options
    SwmaplesSwmaples Apprentice
    @PaulKeith, Congratulations on the new adventure you and yours are starting! Best wishes going forward. As far as your cellar, consider it as an investment that will mature with time. Since you're cutting back but not cutting out, what you have might do for a good while and instead of future tobacco purchases you can spend your dollars on fun toys.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    edited August 2018
    @PaulKeith, congratulations!!! Awesome my friend. Yes, I can definitely vouch for you. I understand why you are doing this. I would have done the same thing to show I'm not selfish and family is more important to me than my pipe hobby. Here is what I mean. Your actions will speak volumes to your wife. It will also prove your "tobacco habbit" is not a habbit at all. It will prove your not like those cigarette smokers out there and how the world has lumped pipes with the bad tobacco stigma. I would predict after a short while, you will be back full swing. Your controlling it instead of it controlling you. And smoking with respect to your surroundings. My 2 cents FWIW.
  • Options
    Yes congratulations,
    I concur with the advice / suggestions that pappyjoe and swmaples provided, there are going to be scenarios that present themselves where you will find yourself all alone or out with you buds; its all in how you manage it. If you enjoy pipe smoking and find it relaxes you, you may find it to be medicinal in light of the tribulations that come with a new baby.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'll add my congratulations as well and whole-heartedly agree with PappyJoe. The two are not exclusive - but changes must be made. When my wife developed respiratory issues I no longer smoked in the house when she was anywhere near. Our house is a long ranch with bedrooms on the other side of the house. So on super cold winter nights or extremely hot summer days when it's difficult to smoke outdoors or in my garage I'll smoke in the evening when she's asleep at the other end of the house and it doesn't bother her. She supports my pipe smoking, but enjoys breathing a whole lot more, yet agrees this system is working just fine. There are many here - and you might be one of them - who are occasional pipe smokers (week-ends or simply when the mood strikes you). So as long as your cellar isn't too extensive and cluttering up a space that might otherwise be used for your new arrival ... I'd keep those blends you really enjoy (even if it's everything in your cellar). Keep in mind, tobacco stored in Mason jars can only age and get better - and with the FDA Deeming Regulations looming ahead it's hard to say what's on the horizon. So I'd keep that tobacco in the event we find ourselves in a tobacco apocalypse in the near future and your situation changes (kids get older, you turn a garden shed into a man cave, build a deck to smoke on, or you take up Lunting and smoke while hiking ... you get the idea). And if and when that time comes you'll have a stash of your favorite blends tucked safely away out of sight and ready to provide you with a moment of solitude. Sharing with the group is very generous and we all do it when there is a blend we might not enjoy but feel another might. But there are solutions that can allow you to be a responsible new father as well as an occasional pipe smoker, so clearing out your cellar might be something to reconsider.       
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words, advice and wisdom. I suppose you are all right. Just to clear up, this wasn’t a sanctioned imposed by my wife rather, as @Londy3 mentioned, something I was choosing to do to show dedication to a more healthy lifestyle (arguable since everything is a matter of degree and relativity) for our unborn child. My offering up was more out of fear that good things might lay to waste. However, I have taken your suggestions and comments into consideration and have decided to not go giving away my Cellar. Just as a side note, it’s not very extensive but I’m more of a 5-6 blend rotator. I know that can always change too. I simply love sharing things with people that I know appreciate them and that was my motivation. I still would like to share at least a couple things with maybe a new smoker looks to expand their exposure and tastes. It would make me happy. 

You’re all too kind. Thanks again. 
  • Options
    Praider8Praider8 Professor
    edited August 2018
    Congrats @PaulKeith on the addition to your family! I understand family ties and going the extra mile to do right by the wife and baby. 

That being said you should keep anything that you really like and just cut back a little. However, I do appreciate your offer and want to acknowledge that portion and let you know that I think it is a wonderful thing you are doing paying it forward with the tobacco you’ve accrued. 

I myself have just started my journey. I got into pipe smoking because I saw it in Peaky Blinders on Netflix (if you haven’t watched it you need to) and it peaked my interest, pun intended. I also like the taste of tobacco but have found that cigars and dip are both too harsh for me. If you had any aromatics that you would like to pass on I’d be happy to try them. I’ve started with those and have not moved up or out of that realm yet. 

Again, I appreciate everything you’re doing and it shows what kind of man you are that you’d dial back a hobby like that for your family’s sake. 

-RA
  • Options
    @PaulKeith
    Congratulations! I can relate and I think you may enjoy my story.
    In a few months, I'm crossing over the 1/2 century mark. I'm also a dad of eight ranging from 25 down to 10. I have a few that are married, a few in college, a few in high school and then God's gift of two rascally little boys at the very end. My youngest has special needs from a brain injury, so he brings a little more work, stress and blessing to my wife and me, but he has taught all of us how to love well.
    I bought my first pipe in college and smoked it through graduate school, but when we started having kids I found that I'd avoid smoking around them and regulated it to camping only. Then at some point I decided to stop so I didn't have to explain good/bad smoking to my kids or to my dental patients who raised the stink eye.
    About 5 years ago, I rediscovered my pipe and my wife encouraged me to start again. It has led me to great forums, lunting, pipe carving, tobacco growing/harvesting, and blending. The best part has been the community group we started at our church with about 20-30 guys that get together every month for pipes and whiskey. I love our local community of guys.
    Dental patients? For those who see me walking around town with my pipe, I've decided they can put on their big boy/girl panties and recognize their family dentist is a way more relaxed! I do smoke in my private office (because I can), but wait until all the patients leave. I have also created a seperate instagram account for pipe related activities (no reason to flaunt it).
    Kids? My three oldest boys each smoke a pipe with me now and occasionally on their own. The younger kids have all learned how to pack a pipe and discern the differences between English and Aromatic blends.
    My wife? She'll join me on the porch or a walk and her only complaint is a "stinky pipe" or heavy Latakias. I keep those away from her and all is well!
    So...that's my journey. I'd encourage you to consider cellaring some of your best for celebratory smokes in the future life of your child/children! :)
  • Options
    You have a great story there, @Mangoandy. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like like you’ve fit the pipe quite nicely into your life, your works and even your community. God bless. 

• Options
    @PaulKeith Congratulations on your impending arrival!  Many happy times lay ahead and I wish you and your wife well.  I've dabbled on and off with tobacco since I was about 10 years old when my buddy bought some Red Man chewing tobacco.  Since getting married, raising kids, running three marathons, a job transfer from New England to the Midwest and back again, I discovered cigars about five years ago and more recently (about 2 years ago) pipes. I enjoy the pleasures both bring to me, but like you, I didn't smoke while raising my kids until they were college aged.  It's now not so "shocking" I suppose to them, and I never had to worry about any effects on them, no matter how minor or non-existent from second hand smoke.  I grew up with second hand cigarette smoke and to this day, can't stand the odor.  Again, many congratulations on your bundle of joy!  
  • Options
    Congratulations @PaulKeith! Prepare for the “reverse honeymoon “ as I call it. It’s hard in the beginning but (usually, with no further complications) gets better and better. Give everyone around you a bit more grace, including yourself. And enjoy your precious baby. There will come a day when you would give up your whole cellar and pipes as well just to hold your tiny baby again. 
    Oh man, now I’m gonna want to have another!! 😁