Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Russ new blend

Just ordered a couple ounces of Fudge Cake from P&C, new blend.

Comments

• Options
    I just read that it's a reissue of a blend that used to be sold in a B&M owned by pipes and cigars. 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe,thanks for the information, hopefully it will be a nice blend to latch on to.
  • Options

@buflosab L:et me know what you think of it and I might try some myself. My current go-to chocolate flavor is Sutliff Chocolate Mousse. 

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii,will do, I too like Sutliff Chocolate Mousse.
  • Options
    @buflosab Perfect than you have a great chocolate blend to compare it to that I'm familiar with.  
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, Somtimes it's hard for me to give a good review of blends I've tried, living in Florida, it is a constant battle with sinus issues, meaning Somtimes my smell and taste are way out of whack.You showed interest so I will give it my best try and give an honest review of Fudge Cake.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, Rec, my order of der of Fudge Cake today,this is what I can tell you. Could definitely taste the Fudge in the blend,which is saying something for me,cool smoke,no tongue bite. I know you know this, if you are inclined, order 1 ounce and give it a try. I have not had Chocolate Mousse in awhile so it is difficult to compare both blends. If you don't like Fudge Cake you could always mix it with another Chocolate flavored blend. If you decide to order, let me know what you think. Always like to hear someone else's opinion.
  • Options
    @buflosab It's been quite a while since I made a tobacco order since I have an over-abundance of blends in my cellar - but this one sounds promising enough to pick-up a few ounces. I've got several Russ Monthly Blends in my cellar and haven't found one that I dislike. He blends a great aromatic.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, thank you for replying, if you decide to get some please let me what you think. Hope you find it to your liking.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    @buflosab Received four ounces of Russ' "Fudge Cake" today and just finished smoking a bowl. I thought it was a very nice blend, great room note, and pleasant flavor. But I will say that I really didn't detect much of a chocolate flavor. Try as I might by retro-haling, I simply couldn't draw out the fudge flavor I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it really was an excellent smoke and I'm looking forward to my next bowl, but I think I would have enjoyed it more had Russ given the blend a different name that didn't emphasize chocolate or fudge.  With a name like "Fudge Cake" my expectations for another chocolate confection similar to Sutliff's "Chocolate Mousse" were pretty high. Probably just a mental thing. If you haven't already tried it, his blend "Snow Drift" has a much more pronounced chocolate flavor as well as pouch and room note. The chocolate flavor of "Snow Drift" is more akin to a cup of hot cocoa. And since fudge and cocoa have an altogether different taste - even though both are a chocolate product - I thought "Fudge Cake" would have a deeper chocolate flavor more like ... well .. fudge. By itself it's an excellent blend - but I think this is something I'd really like to experiment with by stacking blends or mixing it with Sutliff Vanilla Custard to bring out the sweetness, or possibly a cherry flavored blend. Normally I don't mess with a Russ Monthly blend because he's a real Master and they are perfect. His blend "Warm Up" is one of my favorites. But I think I can spruce up "Fudge Cake" with a little trial and error.