Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Is Author shaped pipe usually clenched or held in hand?

Opinions/photographs please.  I'm making one and need to know how light it should be.  thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    TtWmIATATtWmIATA Newcomer
    I find them a bit too heavy the clench, but will do so on occasion. I find the various apple shapes, author included, perfect in the hand. As to weight, I have authors by BBB, Tinder Box(France), and VAUEN, they all weigh the same -- 1.6 ounces.
  • Options
    I would guess it depends on how big an author it is. I have a Savinelli Tre series that is a nice smaller clencher.
  • Options
    I have a couple Savinelli 320 KS's and the EX. The KS is borderline in my opinion, if you have the strength you could clench it. The EX is definitely not a clencher that bowl size is huge. That being said, Savinelli did release the 321 shape a "smaller" author to address that. Would love to see photos of your work! Cheers.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Thanks for your input, guys.  Not sure the bowl shape on mine will be round enough to quality as an author, but it is my first attempt at the shape.  Will post a photo or two after I finish it.
  • Options
    My very first pipe was a Peterson Author (408). Since I write on my computer while smoking a pipe, I tend to clench my pipes. I've never had any issues clenching my Author pipe, even when I was new at the hobby. In my opinion, I think you should be fine.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @thebadgerpiper, thanks for the input.  I finished it yesterday.  Will post photos soon.  The walls are a bit thick, so it might be better to hold this one in the hand.  Might be a little heavy for a clencher.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    So what is the ideal weight or range for a good clenching pipe?
  • Options
    TtWmIATATtWmIATA Newcomer
    Londy3, A good clenching pipe is whatever works for you (and your jaw) with the task at hand. I have some straight pipes weighing under an ounce that I can forget I have clenched. Bent pipes, especially full bent pipes, can weigh considerably more and still be comfortable. In an arm chair or a canoe, I can clench a heavier pipe than when driving or lunting. Too many variables.
  • Options
    Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
    edited July 2018
    @Londy3, that's a good question and I suppose it depends on the jaw. I'm a clencher and don't find any of the MM cobs of a weight that's an issue, whatever they may read on the scale....lighter briars either. Someone else, I'm sure, can (ahem) weigh in on this.

What I feel I can say with some assurance is that a bent pipe, purely through center-of-gravity/leverage physics, is going to rest easier clenched than a straight pipe of equal mass 

But there and again, what's half an ounce here or there.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    No doubt about the reason behind the bent shape. Still, there are many variables for this question. You'd think they would make a pipe specially designed for clenchers and state it so. 
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    OK I'm going to post a couple of pics in the "have you created your own pipe" thread.
  • Options
    Usually the only pipes I can clench for any length of time is a bent pipe.