Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Peterson Tobacco is now owned by STG

Interesting development today. Peterson Tobacco is now owned by Scandinavian Tobacco Group.
https://www.nasdaq.com/press-release/scandinavian-tobacco-group-as-acquires-peterson-pipe-tobacco-of-kapp--peterson-limited-20180720-00109

The pipe side of Peterson is now owned by Laudisi Enterprises new European division: 
https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/18/07/r12049745/laudisi-enterprises-acquires-kapp-peterson

Comments

• Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    Hi
        Given the number of blends that have disappeared ,one good thing that might come out of this ( if STG keeps the same quality tobaccos and blend recipe) is STG should keep this line on the market for years to come. The possible issue is how will the FDA look at even a subtle change in the label?
    Best

• Options
    qmechanicsqmechanics Apprentice
    This webpage is sponsored by STG maybe someone with more details might PIPE in?😁
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    There are very few employees that are willing to discuss the details of a merger, unless they were actively involved in the negotiations. And then they would not say anything, other than what Legal has already stated. 

Perhaps in the near future, we might get a message about the first batch of tobacco being produced, but that would be an Operations update, not a merger update. 

• Options
    Any official statement you might be able to share with the community @NicoleSTGLaneLtd?

I'm glad to see that STG & Laudisi have taken over instead of having Peterson close up shop. That being said, it'll be interesting to see where this all goes. As a marketing person myself, I'm really curious to see if anything major changes. But then again, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't STG already blending Peterson blends for them?
  • Options
    I think everything that needs to be said is in the links I posted. If you are looking for insider information on future plans then you may be delusional if you think they are going to post that information in an open forum.

@Oddjob27 - The Laudisi release mentioned bringing back some of the traditional shapes. Other than possibly changing some shapes they currently produce, I don't see any major changes on the pipe side. As for as pipe tobacco, I'm pretty sure STG is not going to make changes in the recipes. It is possible that they take a look a sales and may suspend production of some of the blends that don't perform well as far as sales go. 

The thing to remember is that Peterson could have just closed up shop or sold to a management company with no real interest or knowledge of pipes and tobacco. That would have been a disaster - just look at what's happened with Dunhill.  Instead they sold to two companies that are heavily involved in pipes and tobacco.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Maybe we should buy stock in STG?
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    In my opinion this is good news. I agree with @Oddjob27 I would rather see a merger of 2 companies than one of them closing (if that was the case), especially in this market and current state of affairs. As small as pipe smoking is in the grand scheme of things I find this to be very optimistic.
  • Options
    As a huge Peterson fan, I'm very happy with this announcement. If Peterson was in danger of closing shop, then this is the best outcome in my opinion. Laudisi will take good care of the Peterson line of pipes and respect the great legacy Peterson has. I'll be interested to see what STG does with their blends.
  • Options
    Must say I found it all very interesting. 
    Initially became aware Saturday evening at Pipe club meeting and my comment at the time (jokingly) was antitrust, Laudisi / smokingpipes has enough.
    The reality is, and  this is while keeping in mind McClelland's decision, that in this day and age we should all be grateful they did not disappear. The fact is Peterson was /is an icon and those are indeed rare as all smokers these days suffer under the yoke of the PC righteous indignation and the shills for the insurance companies.
    That said, I cautiously optimistic, there  won't  be a renaissance on anything as the FDA looms large but as we all know it could always be worse.
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    There are still lots of Peterson blends that I haven't tried yet. I am glad that they will still be produced.
  • Options
    motie2
    that cracked me up, just not sure if you were being humorous or cynical
  • Options
    Hi all.

To Pappy's point, not much more to add to the press release at this point. More news to come. Needless to say we are excited about ensuring these blends will be available for members of our hobby for decades to come.

Leonard Wortzel
  • Options
    Leonard, as you get new information, please also announce it on this forum. 
  • Options
    Hi all.

To Pappy's point, not much more to add to the press release at this point. 
  • Options
    Winton: Will do. Not much new news here, but below is a link to a recent pipesmagazine.com article.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/industry-spotlight/changing-of-the-guard-the-end-of-the-dublin-era-at-peterson/
  • Options
    At this point I'm just glad 'someone' is keeping us supplied with pipe tobacco. Waiting for the hammer to fall and all tobacco is regulated out of existence.
  • Options
    True dat, ghostsofpompeii