Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Used pipes,,,,,,,need help

My first post went fairly well, so I an going to try another.  I have about 50 used pipes, some given to me, ....’my father’s pipes,,,,’my uncles pipes...etc.....some I got off ebay and a few are my own deceased father’s pipes.  I have studied how to clean them.. My question is. ‘How do I tell which ones are worth cleaning, and which should be tossed?”

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    I would set aside to keep the ones that were your dad's - sentimental value, I would think.
    I would then take the rest of them and sort them by brand as much as possible. Myself, I would pitch Dr Grabows  and Medicos, if any. Old Kaywoodies can have value, and may be pretty good pipes.
    Then see if you have anything else left,and go from there.
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby
    First. They are not used, they are estate pipes. LOL It just sounds better. 

If they were "your father's" or "your uncle's" than you may want to keep them for sentimental value. If they were a friend's father or uncle maybe not.
    I have probably 30 pipes I found at junktique shops or that were given me. When I am doing the shopping for estate pipes I look at the condition, name, and shape of the pipe. 
    I have several blog posts about estate or used pipes if you are interested. The link to one of them is https://pappyjoesblog.com/collecting-estates-what-i-look-for/

I start with the name. I generally do not buy what I call drugstore pipes - Kaywoodies, Dr. Grabows, Yellobole or Medicos - for example. That doesn't mean they pipes are crap and not worth restoring, it's just my preference. In fact, I do often consider the Kaywoodies if they have a 2 or 4 digit number because they are older pipes. I currently have two Kaywoodies.

The other thing I look at is bowl and stem condition. First I look for cracks or holes in the bowl and shank of the pipe. Those pipes are a no from the start. Next look at the condition of the stem. If the stem looks like a dog has chewed on it - has been bitten through or has chunks missing from the bit - I pass. I look at how much cake build-up is in the bowl. If I can't get my little finger in the bowl, I usually pass on it. One more thing I personally do is remove the stem from the shank. If you can't do it easily I would pass.

If you have time, make a list of the pipes including anything that is stamped on them. The logo and stampings can help you identify the time range for when the pipes were made. It would be interesting to see just what you have. 

Some other websites you should visit and bookmark are:

http://www.pipephil.eu - a very good site for finding out about the pipe logos and markings and other information.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page - Pipedia is the wikipedia of pipe information. 

There are also forums for Kaywoodies and Dr. Grabow pipes smokers that may be helpful in identifying what you have.

• Options
    KenofAhwlbyKenofAhwlby Enthusiast
    PappyJoe,,,,Thank you,,, You are truly a “Master.  I looked at your pages....very helpful.  

Judaandhispipe....thankyou too.   So I’m going to sort thru them,,, b y brand, etc,  and judge their condition,,,,My father’s I have always kept separate, so no problem there,  The rest were mostly given to me....
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby
         Well, I guess I am a horse of a different color. I would only "toss" pipes that are severely burned through,cracked,or made of some"mystery briar".  Even then, I have sold pipes on EBay that were some of the cheapest, nastiest pipes, so ugly even a mother wouldn't love them......but somebody did, because they sold, some for more than I ever imagined.  Did I get rich on them..No, but I look at them as a piece of history saved.  They may have even brought a new friend to the hobby?  Even if they are dirty and you don't care for some of them, put them out there, they will probably get snapped up.  If EBay is not your thing, maybe gift them to some unfortunate but grateful pipe poor person, or someone that just likes to refurbish pipes (Not I, I have plenty).   Also, if some old nasty pipe has a metal band or a good stem, save those parts and toss the thrashed out bowl.  I have about 450 pipes and probably 5% or less were brand spanking shiny new.  I have new Peterson's, Dunhill's, Rattray's, Savinelli's, American Smoking Pipe by Mark Tinsky, etc.  Some of my favorites are still some nice old refurbished pipes from the bygone era of pipe smoking, like Yello-Bole's, WDC's, and LHS.  In their day not high end pipes, but nice solid old briars, most without any major fills.
         So I say, unless they are complete junk, clean them up or pass them on cleaned or "as is".  There is probably lots of life left in most of them.  If you need any helpful hints on cleaning or refurbishing pipes, there are several people on this forum alone that I am sure are willing to help, myself included.  I am not a pro, but I have a few refurb's under my belt :)
  • Options
    I'll second the comments suggesting you set aside the pipes with sentimental value.

I'd also recommend that if you haven't refurbed pipes yet that you start out with some of the ones that you suspect are "not worth it".  In other words, hone your skills and technique on ones that would otherwise be destined for the trash can.

This way, if you screw one up it really hasn't been that great of a loss.

It goes without saying, but I'd also recommend that you identify all of these briars and ensure that you're not tossing an old Dunhill, Barling, Charatan, etc...

Dino
  • Options
    Just a note: If you can't get the stem from the shank, put the pipe in the freezer for a half hour and try again. many pipes bind up when left sitting for a long time.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Great idea, @Woodsman.  I never would have thought of that...hope you are feeling better.
  • Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    Was going to add comments, but you guys were so spot-on that none is needed. Love TPL because so many are willing to help all...
  • Options
    Thank you all, Bonanzadriver, especially, not that I haven’t already thought of that myself.

I figure on sterilizing the stems in 91% alcohol..  not sure about the bowls,,,many of them have no cake at all, and some even look like they have been barely smoked....No smell do the bowls,,, I mean they have been sitting for more than ten years in storage.  Do you still recommend the ‘salt’ treatment for those bowls too.
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby
    Just my 2 cents here, but I would only “toss” pipes that have cracked bowls or seriously burned.  Even broken shanks can be repaired with a stainless inner-tube and shank extensions most of the time.  At the very least, save the stems and any bands or threaded devices.  I even save nasty chewed stems and have used the tenon portions to repair or lengthen other pipes with broken stems.  I realize that some may not be worth your time, but others may enjoy trying to bring some of the “hopeless” ones back to life, if just for practice for future repairs on “higher quality” pipes.
    Rocky Mountain Briars....”Saving History, One Pipe at a Time” 😁
  • Options
    I tend to agree with @RockyMountainBriar so long as the bowl itself isn't cracked I think a pipe is worth saving. I've purchased pipes from resale stores and antique shops where the bowl was so cacked you could barely get a pencil to fit ... but after a good reaming they came right back to life. Stems can be replaced. And if the damage isn't too bad you might consider a softy bit for cosmetic purposes until you make a decision on whether or not you want to spend the money on a proper pipe repair. I've done this with one of my Dr. Grabows and it hides a small hole in the bit of the stem.    
  • Options
    Ken,

If you've got the time and inclination, I'd recommend the salt treatment (Kosher Salt & Everclear preferably ) but if the pipes are relatively odor free, give em a whirl.  Try a bowl of Carter Hall or Prince Albert and see if you notice any ghosting.  If you do, then do the salt treatment.  If not, then yer good to go.

Dino
  • Options
    Thanks for all the good advice.  Almost all the pipes have no smell at all,,,,
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby - @Bonanzadriver makes a good point about using a salt treatment. The result he is looking for can also be had using cottonballs instead of salt. My preferred method is to pack the bowl and mortise with used, damp coffee grounds and let it sit for a day, Dump the grounds, rinse the pipe under running water and then let it sit and dry for another day. 

It's always worked for me for removing any smells.
  • Options
    PappyJoe,,, thank you, that sounds like a good idea,   I have plenty for coffee grounds.  Sounds bettter that salt.
    How long should I let the stems slack in 91%..?
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby — my preferred stem treatment is a good soaking in Oxiclean for 12 or so hours. After that I know they are really clean and it this helps “soften” the oxidation from vulcanite stems before removing it. I’ll then use super fine sand papers and/or micromesh to shine up old oxidized stems. Once they’re black and shiny I coat them with a light coat of olive oil (some use obsidian oil). Then wipe it off. There are lots of good suggestions on cleaning stems, and I’ve tried several. This one works for me. 
  • Options
    These are some of the used  pipes:  K&P Peterson, Dublin.       Socony Vacuum Italian Briar,     Wally Frank Underslung. (This is a rather unusual looking pipe, however, it must have been somenone’s fave because it is well smoked, however in good condition),   Marxman Benchmade, Brethan Hall Algerian Briar 637,  DiGey London Made, 9442,

Anybody recognize any of these??
  • Options
    Also, several of these pipes have screw in stems, which seem fairly tight.   Also I am confused by all the different metal ‘extensions’ or whatever they are called...???  Can some one tell me more about those things, please.
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby - Peterson is a well known brand. Look on both sides of the briar for other markings and let us know what is there. In fact, you should closely examine both sides and the bottom of the pipes for more information.

Never heard of a Socony Vacuum Italian Briar so there may be other markings on it to help identify it. 

Is it possible the "DiGey" is actually Digby? 

Use the links I posted earlier. 
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlbyWally Frank is also pretty well known although they were actually manufactured by other pipe makers (some of them really nice companies like Charatan, Sasieni & Weber). So that’s probably a pretty nice pipe like the Peterson. 

As far as the metal stem extensions... they’re typically referred to as ‘stingers’ and most pipe smokers don’t find them desirable. However, they usually can be removed or modified to make the pipe more modern and functional. Some folks don’t mind them at all. You might try smoking them ‘as is’ to see what you think before modifying. 
  • Options
    Jfreedy, thank you for your advice,,,  The Wally Franks are nice looking and clean up well..I am going to try the pipes with the stingers and see.  I’m not clear on how they work, but oh well....
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby, The Wally Frank "stingers" were suppose to prevent excessive moisture and impurities from entering the smoker's mouth.  read the description in the third paragraph of the 1939 advertisement:

httpsphotossmugmugcomphotosi-7LP6mWj11cdd2304XLi-7LP6mWj-XLjpg

• Options
    Here is another ad for the stinger which was called a condenser tube:

WallyFrank0004

• Options
    Thanks Charles,  Yes, some of them do have that ‘condenser tube’,,,,,some of the other pipes have a different shape stinger.  I’m curious to see what difference they make...
    Why do most smokers remove their ‘stingers’??  I have some pipes I’ve smoked for years that have them in, and really, I don’t see much difference.
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby Pipes with stingers won’t pass a pipe cleaner. 
  • Options
    @KenofAhwlby - How's your pipe collection going?

• Options
    Thanks for asking,Pappy,  I got sidetracked with some other projects, re-ordering my workshop...will probably get back to the pipes next week.  
  • Options
    Stingers?     Feh.......

Also of interest: (repost)

How to Buy an Estate Pipe for Less

Pipe smoking or collecting elicits images of dark libraries, curling smoke and aged whiskey. Regardless of if you are a collector or are toying with the idea of pipe smoking, there are a few ways to get a great piece for less to capture the nostalgia of this masculine accessory.

There are two main categories of pipes offered for sale: new and estate.

New pipes are just that: un-smoked and never sold before. On the other hand, estate pipes are pre-owned and offer a great opportunity to get a very good pipe for half or less of the normal price at retail. Estate pipes can be smoked or un-smoked. Pre-smoked pipes offer the greatest chance at an excellent bargain and, when properly cleaned and sterilized with any potable alcohol, can be truly marvelous acquisitions.

Estate pipes represent such an opportunity. If you have no issues with using restaurant silver and glassware, you should have no problem smoking an estate pipe once it has been properly cleaned and sterilized with alcohol.

eBay is a great boon to the pipe smoking enthusiast hoping to purchase an excellent estate pipe. There are literally tens of thousands of items under “pipes” on eBay. However, a large percentage of them are, if not junk, then at least not to be recommended. Purchasing pipes or anything on eBay can be fun and the possibilities of finding a bargain on a jewel are frequent, but such purchases are best postponed until one has gained the experience to be a savvy buyer. 

===============

Buying Pipes on eBay

There are two main categories of pipes offered for sale on eBay: new and estate. New pipes are just that: un-smoked and never sold before. On the other hand, estate pipes are pre-owned and offer a great opportunity to get a very good pipe for half or less of the normal price at retail. These estate pipes can be smoked or un-smoked. Pre-smoked pipes offer the greatest chance at an excellent bargain and, when properly cleaned and sterilized with any potable alcohol, can be truly marvelous acquisitions.  
    Often you can find exquisite handcrafted pipes made by some of the finest pipe makers in the world at a small fraction of the price on eBay. The standard rule of thumb is that if you have no issues with using restaurant silver and glassware, you should have no problem smoking an estate pipe once it has been properly cleaned and sterilized with alcohol.

The internet is a great boon to the pipe smoking enthusiast hoping to purchase an excellent pipe or locate some rare tobacco. At any given time, there are literally tens of thousands of items under “ pipes” on eBay. However, a huge percentage of them are, if not junk, then at least not to be recommended. Purchasing pipes or anything on eBay can be fun, and the possibilities of finding a bargain on a jewel are frequent, but such purchases are best made with strategy and wisdom.

Here some tips to purchasing pipes on eBay:

1. There are no great pipes for a dollar or two. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

2. Most of the Made-in-China pipes that say “quality” are pure junk. 
    3. A pipe advertised as "genuine wood" is not a "briar"  (see tip #5)
    4. Stick with reputable pipe makers if you’re not pipe-savvy. Brands like Savinelli, Peterson, Dunhill, Stanwell and Davidoff will always offer you a great smoking experience if it’s authentic and the pipe is in good condition. Even less expensive brands like Dr. Grabow offer a good introduction to pipe smoking. 
    5. Look for pipes made from Briar and Meerschaum only. 
    6. Before buying or bidding, you might be able to research the pipe on various pipe forums and Facebook groups to see reviews and information. 
    7. There is such thing as counterfeit pipes so be sure you examine the photographs, read the description and determine whether the seller is reputable. 
    8. Examine the photos and descriptions carefully; look for cracks, charring, teeth marks, discolored stems, etc.
    9, When in doubt, ask one of the TPL forum members. 
    10. Use the eBay search function to narrow down your search.
  • Options
    @motie2 - Who did you steal I mean copy that from?  

(ps: Just joking. Was wondering about the source.)
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2018
    @PappyJoe -- From eBay itself. Unfortunately, I only copied the info, not the URLs.

I modified #9 to be TPL specific.