Home The Lounge
Options

Perique Liqueur

Let me make you guys jealous.
I had the opportunity to sit down with Mark Ryan, owner of D&R Tobaccos, at the L.A. Poche Perique facility in St. James Parish yesterday afternoon. We sat and talked for about 2 hours about the perique industries and some interesting projects in the works but I'm not at liberty to gave anything more than vague information about them.

While we were talking, he poured me a small glass of Perique Liqueur which is distilled in France. I paired it with a bowl of Haddo's Delight and it was a perfect pairing. The first impression I got was of a very light anise flavor. It was smooth and sweet with a somewhat fruity finish. If you have ever smelled perique in a barrel, imagine how that smell would taste. I was impressed.

The problem now is finding it anywhere in the U.S. for purchase. Mark said he got his bottle from someone who flew to France and brought back a case.

Hints:
Periqueing is the process where tobacco is processed under pressure. In the past, Mark Ryan has processed Virginias in the perique manner. Someone may or may not be experimenting with processing Oriental tobacco leaf in the perique manner.

A craft brewery may or may not have express interest in purchasing perique barrels for use in aging beer or ale.

Comments