Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Who else smokes clay pipes?

I have the one that was given to me by our oldest son. It is the first clay pipe I've smoked and now I'm wondering why I've waited so long.
The one I have is a relatively small bowl and would probably be great for flakes. What I like about it is the pure tobacco taste you get from smoking one. I've been using it to smoke new tobacco in to get the full flavor.

Feeling_irish

Comments

• Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @pappyjoe  I've been meaning to get one and try it, just haven't yet.  I bought a couple a while ago I have never smoked because they ended up being smaller than any nosewarmer I have seen with a bowl smaller than the tip of my pinky.  Do you know where he got yours at?
  • Options
    @drac2485,
    He bought it at a local cigar shop in Baton Rouge, LA that also carries a decent selection of bulk and tinned pipe tobacco. The perspective on the photo distorts the size of the pipe but it is about the length of a churchwarden. The bowl is just big enough for me to get my ring finger in about half way to the second knuckle but I have small hands.
  • Options
    @pappyjoe well I had ordered a real size clay pipe and just got it in yesterday.  I haven't had a chance to smoke it yet but I'm hoping this Friday will bring a nice day to sit outside and enjoy it.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @pappyjoe I have a couple of clay pipes I got at the Chicago Pipe Show. Mine are the German Clay pipes that just recently came out about 3 years ago some great pipes. There are a lot of different sizes and models some that are unique in design. They have recently started selling them on Pipes and Cigars website. Mine are a bit larger than a standard Czech tool tamper and smoke really well, the only initial draw back I experience was my lip getting stuck to the clay. Since I have put some heat shrink tubing which helped tremendously (I have heard bees wax works great also). I will try to get a photo of my clay next to a standard briar for comparison an upload.
  • Options
    I never have. It's on my short list though!
  • Options
    It's Friday finally and I can't wait to get home from work and break in my new clay pipe.
  • Options
    Breaking it in with a bowl of C&D's Founding Fathers and loving it
  • Options
    WOW!!! That was probably the best smoke I have had.  Just a pure tobacco flavor and rather cool for being over 100 outside.  I need to get a few more to give to friends (and for the just in case).
  • Options
    dstribdstrib Apprentice
    They look interesting have yet to pick one up. Cost wise they would fit in well with my cobs and estate pipes I have accumulated. Notice a batch of 8 of them on the bay last night. Just don't know if I need 8 clay pipes.
  • Options
    @dstrib clay pipes will eventually break
  • Options
    @dstrib Clays will break and they need to be babied a bit more than most pipes.  I cringe thinking of how I treat some of my cobs and couldn't imagine treating my clay like that.  I plan on picking up a few more while I can.  I love this one http://www.tobaccopipes.com/large-clay-smooth-tobacco-pipe/ and shipping is included in the price so its really not bad.