Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Best way to burn stoved Virginia?

Stoved Virginia flake has the notorious reputation of being hard to keep lit, and deservedly so.  Being a lover of deep, sweet Virginias, I was wondering if anyone has expertise in working with the stuff?  Currently I'm mixing it with other Virginias, that are a bit drier, and this seems to work adequately, but I'm not convinced that there isn't a better way.  Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    I guess I'm the only one who enjoys stoved virginias, eh?
  • Options
    Bloodhound61Bloodhound61 Master
    edited June 2018
    @mfresa, I've yet to try it. I'd be happy to have your recommendations as to blends.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @Bloodhound61, thanks for your interest.  I'm currently using Dark Star from McClelland, but since they are out of business, I checked out smokingpipes.com.  They have several variations that I haven't tried yet, but there is one that looks very interesting, and I will purchase soon: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/cornell-diehl/Yorktown-2oz/product_id/207621
  • Options
    Much appreciated, @mfresa. I think I’ll give it a go with my next order. Let me know your thoughts if you try it first, please. 

I smoke aromatics 9 out of 10 bowls, but when I don’t I’ve come to appreciate something beefy that gets my attention. Especially with coffee first thing. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    REPOST FROM 2018 by @xDutchx, presumed to be MIA, AND OF BLESSED MEMORY….

<<I have used an at home stoving method with great results, which I read about in Dr. Fred Hanna's fantastic book entitled "The Perfect Smoke." 

Basically, the method involves using a Virginia based blend, and placing it in the oven at around 180 degrees for 5 hours. I use a large blue enamel soup pot, but I have been meaning to invest in a large pyrex style pot, around the same size.

This method works great, and takes some of the bite off a young Virginia blend. I have even used it with good success on Vaper blends.

Be advised however, that once stoved, the blend will no longer benefit from aging. If you plan to let your blend rest for a few years, skip the stoving process and save it for a blend that you don't have the patience to age.>>

• Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    "...don't have the patience to age."  Yup, that would be all of my blends :smile:
  • Options
    With Dark Star and Black XX I pack loose and get it lit and almost never tamp.  If I do tamp I just use the weight of the tamper.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    edited November 2021
    Currently stoving Cobblestone Virginia plug.  For the life of me I can't tell it is Virginia right out of the tin.  If stoving doesn't help it, it's going in the woodstove.
  • Options
    An update on the stoved Cobblestone Virginia plug:
    1) Stoving definitely helped this plug/cake.  It took the rancid edges off of it completely.  It now has no bite at all.
    2) Has it been converted to something that one might keep in one's Virginia rotation?  No.  Why?  Because it really doesn't have much character at all, other than a very, very slight sweetness, and that you have to be looking for.  Other than that, it is bland as a blank piece of paper.
    3) Has the stoving saved the plug from a fate worse than death in the woodstove?  Yes, but only just.  

Final comment:  It may be useful as part of a Virginia Frankenblend, but that's about it. Will I buy it again?  Definitely not.  It comes nowhere near LTF or Ye Olde Signe, and those are my standards at the moment.