Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Room note preference

It seems like I see quite a few comments about wives, mates and/or significant others who tend to appreciate the room note of aromatics but not so much of English blends. I think my wife is the exception. She thinks aros are too strong and really doesn't care for the room note. However, she enjoys my English and Balkan blends.  I thought perhaps it was because it may have reminded her of a family member when she was young but no one in her family was/is a pipe smoker. I choose not to smoke in her car but she is always saying I am welcome to, as long as it isn't an aro.

I'm certainly not complaining as my tastes have shifted from aros to Balkan blends over the years. I'm just curious if anyone else has a significant other who prefers English room note over aro? 

Comments

• Options
    jshaferjshafer Newcomer
    My wife doesn't mind light aromatics and is tolerant of my smoking non-aromatics in my office/smoking room. I consider myself a lucky guy.
  • Options
    My wife tolerates my Virginia blends as the least offensive. A perique heavy blend she likes the best. I do not get to smoke inside, my smoking is squestered to outside and in the garage during the cold time of year or bad weather. 

When we we have our fire pit going I get to break out my English and Balkan blends as she tends to not notice “the smell”
  • Options
    The only thing close to an English that I have in my cellar is Captain Black "Black Sea" which is the only blend from Captain Black that contains Latakia. My wife likes the smell of certain aromatics but was immediately put off by "Black Sea" and said it smelled more like a campfire, whereas a majority of my aromatics smell like a bakery. For this reason when I do smoke indoors I make sure not to smoke "Black Sea".   
  • Options
    If I smoke around my wife, I'll make sure that it's an aromatic blend like MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake. The reason being that most of the time when I come in from smoking my pipe, she tells me I stink. Oddly enough, there's been a few times where after smoking an English blend, she'll remark that I smell nice. At this point, I don't even try to guess what she'll like or find offensive.
  • Options
    jim102864jim102864 Master
    edited June 2018
    The only room note my wife appreciates is one outdoors and typically I suppose, fragrant aros.  We are constantly in discussion regarding my smoking indoors.  She's resigned to the fact I will do so when I work from home (like today), but still complains about it.  
  • Options
    I avoid smoking Latakia indoors....my wife generally compliments the aros I smoke, but I could see that she was less thrilled with the English. Happy wife = happier me 
  • Options
    Ok, well, I have to admit that I got a new response last night. I was experimenting with a personal mixture and heard "What's that you're smoking?" but not in the tone she reserves to compliment an aroma. "Don't like this one?", I asked, "I'm sorry". She replies, "Don't apologize to me...you're the one having to smoke it"
  • Options
    Because my wife has a respiratory problem I don't smoke in the house when she's present. But since our house is laid out with the bedrooms on one end and the Family Room all the way at the other end of the house I'll smoke in the late evening when she's asleep. The smoke doesn't seem to travel the length of the house. But even then I still keep the sliding glass door open to help air out the room as I'm smoking. And if it's a blend with a lingering scent I'll give it a blast of air freshener. Last night I was smoking Carter Hall and as I was preparing my ritual of cleansing the air with Fabreeze I noticed little if any lingering room note. It had a pleasant room note, but nothing like most of my aromatic blends. No prominent vanilla, chocolate, maple or bakery scents I'd associate with many of my aromatics. The aroma was unmistakably that of pipe tobacco - but a very mild and dissipated quickly. Carter Hall is probably the cheapest of all the blends in my cellar, yet I'm finding more and more to like about the blend as I smoke it.     
  • Options
    This has been a very helpful thread. I am always looking for tobacco that my wife will accept the smell of and that I enjoy. 
  • Options
    I don't smoke in the house so I generally don't worry about what the "room" note is. When I sit outside and the wife is around I always put my chair downwind of her so she's not engulfed in a cloud of smoke, especially if I'm smoking a heavy latakia blend. 

I was trying a sample of D&R's Raccoon Accent while sitting under a tree the other day. It's a decent blend containing burley, rare yenidje orientals, acadian bright (basically bright virginias processed as perique) and virginias. The 9 year old grand daughter was climbing the tree next to me and caught a good cloud of the smoke. Out of the blue she offers, "That smells like green Jolly Ranchers."

I don't get that when I smoke it.
  • Options
    I don't have this problem anymore but remember that she liked aromatics, specially 1Qmixed with BCA and hated Latakia smell.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    According to Google….

Best smelling pipe tobacco?
    • Sutliff Vanilla Custard.
    • Mac Baren: Vanilla Cream. ...
    • Mac Baren: Mixture Scottish Blend. ...
    • Cornell & Diehl: Autumn Evening. ...
    • Captain Black: Original. ...
    • Sutliff: Creme Brulee. ...
    • Mac Baren: 7 Seas Regular. ...
    • Half & Half. ...
  • Options
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    ‘Twas not me. ‘Twas Google.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Room note preference?

Post-its on the wall?😜
  • Options
    I tend to smoke aro's in winter since I'm always indoors.  Wife was the one that bought my first pipe, probably thinking of all the wonderful tobac.  Well 1st 15 years of smoking was Nightcap, Frog Morton on the Town, Apertif, etc.    She was not a fan.   She is much happier that I kicked the lat-blends to the side.  I mostly smoke Va, Va/Per, Va/Bur and aromatics now.   She love the room note with Dix! :smiley: