Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Wind cap & options

Recently, while having a bowl outside, I burned a whole in one of my favorite shirts from a flying ember and it kinda pissed me off a little. 
Has anyone used this wind cap before?
Will it work in any pipe bowl? The description says nothing about how this works. I need a solution that will work on all my pipes. 

Comments

• Options
    @Londy3, I recently obtained a wind cap (came with a pipe I found at an antiques show). It appears the one pictured works the same: You’d pinch in one the side “buttons” which would contract two stays underneath. Place it on the pipe and release, and the two stays expand to contact and grip the side of the bowl.  Might be a different design, but I’m guessing the principle is the same. The pics show, respectively, the underside and the top of the one i found.

• Options
    I use the number of burn holes in a t-shirt to determine when to buy a new shirt.

I have two or three wind caps but mainly use them when I load a couple of pipes to keep the tobacco in them until lighting.
  • Options
    Never had detachable wind screens, but I do have some pipes with them permanently attached.
  • Options
    @Londy3 ~ I have several like the one you pictured. They tend to not work in larger freehand pipes but they do have a snug fit on traditional pipes. I haven't used them for wind yet. Like @PappyJoe, I find them useful for keeping tobacco in pipes that I load in advance.  
  • Options
    I have used both kinds with the "buttons" pictured above, they work well.  I also have a few old (20's-30's?) sterling silver caps that slip over the outside of the bowl.  I have (4) of the different sizes, they work and give a pipe bit of flash, but I would not use them on a nice pipe, they might leave scrapes on the outside of the bowl and they only work on round top bowls, so not very user friendly. 
    Like Kmhartle, I use them just as much for keeping tobacco loaded the in bowl if I want to dry it out a bit.  I also have some plastic topped bottle corks I found at ACE Hardware (two slightly different outside diameters) which I cut all but about 1/4" of the length of the cork off.  They work well for holding tobacco in the pipe if you don't want it to dry out.
  • Options
    I want to mention I use the caps for the other intended purpose at least as much. To keep the tobacco chamber from getting stoked up and burned out when I don't have a hand free to damper it down.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Good feedback guys, thanks.
  • Options
    I only have one pipe with a wind-cap.  It was actually made with one as part of the design.  It's a "Sparkproof Weatherproof" pipe made in France.

Obviously it's the one on the right.

When I got it it was grunged up beyond belief.  Took me a couple of days to clean it all up.  As a result of this, I haven't smoked it yet.
  • Options
    I have the same kind of windcaps. I ordered them in bulk so i get a better price and not have to worry so much about losing them.
  • Options
    I burned a tiny ember hole in the couch cushion and there wasn't a hint of wind. 
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii, blame it on the dog somehow.
  • Options
    Honestly did not know their was such a thing as a wind cap. Like many of you I have a few burn holes in my shirts and took out A pants pocket along the way.
  • Options
    I've used wind caps from time-to-time, but after one episode - when I burned the Hell out of my fingers after trying to remove the wind cap to re-light my pipe - it has caused me to re-think the practice. It only took once for me to comprehend that heat transferring from the burning ember fueling my smoke to the little metal wind cap was a distinct possibility. Once my pipe went out and I didn't stop to think about the heat, and grabbed hold of those little tabs on the side to release the cap from the bowl of the pipe. I immediately knew I made a mistake. Making matters worse, after letting loose of it the wind cap fell into my lap where Mr. Periwinkle was none to happy about the sudden onset of heat. Well, live and learn.  
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @ghostsofpompeii, ouch!!!  That there is a scary story!  I still may try it but will use with caution of course! 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Mr. Brog Full Bent Smoking Tobacco Pipe - Model No: 21 Old Army Mahogany - Pear Wood Roots - Hand Made
    https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Brog-Full-Smoking-Tobacco/dp/B006KYWBBG/ref=sr_1_13

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Just stumbled upon another....

• Options
    @motie2 - Speaking of pipes I own but never seem to reach for, I have one of those Mr. Brog's Model No. 21. 
    I've always called that style of pipes "Hunters" for some reason. They are usually made in the Bavarian or German/Austria region of Europe. I also have a couple of the long stemmed Bavarian pipes but mine has a briar bowl instead of the Porcelain. Two things they seem to have in common, the bowl is connected to the mouthpiece with a cherrywood stem and they have a wind cap.