Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Dream Blend

If you could create a blend to taste exactly how you wanted it, what would it taste like? What ratios of tobaccos would you use?

Comments

• Options
    I've meant to make a blog post about it, but I've always wanted to blend a Wind in the Willows series, akin to the many Lord of the Rings blends out there. Since almost all of the characters have been depicted with pipes over the years, I feel it would be appropriate for a pipe tobacco series. Going off the top of my head, it would go along the lines of:

Ratty's Wayfarer Blend- Vanilla Cavendish with ribbon Virginia, burley, and a touch of Perique. The perfect companion for messing about in boats.
    Mole's Winter Excursion Blend- An English blend, Latakia, Orientals, and Virginia. The blend you want to smoke while wandering alone in the woods.
    Old Badger's Cellar Reserve- VaPer broken flake blend, needs to be rubbed out a bit, as is the way of old curmudgeons. Perfect for sharing with fellow weary travelers.
    Toad's Motorcar Mixture- Orientals, ribbon Virginias, and a bit of Burley. A blend for smoking while causing chaos on the open road.
    Otter's Riverside Flake- A Virginia/Burley flake topped with a touch of honey. A delight to the palate after a nice afternoon swim.
    Chief Weasel's Scoundrel Blend- Heavy Burley blend with some bright Virginias and heavy on the Perique. A spicy, bold blend for those up to no good.

If C&D or McClelland want to hire me on to head this series, my schedule is open.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    @thebadgerpiper those sound wonderfully delicious.  

I am a strange person amongst my family and friends as I absolutely love licorice.  I would love a nice Virginia/Cavendish blend that has a strong licorice scent/flavor.  One day if I learn how to flavor tobacco I may make some up for myself.  

However, there is one blend that is no longer in production that actually helped me fall in love with pipe smoking that I would remake.  C&D had Hard Cider Cavendish with a Continental (Golden) Cavendish and Black Cavendish flavored with what reminded me of Hard Cider.  I think it was at least 2/3 Continental Cavendish and 1/3 Black Cavendish (or less).  The mixture was primarily a golden almost virgina color.  I bought 1 tin and then they stopped making it.
  • Options
    I've always thought that one of the manufacturer's (I'm talking to you STG!) should come out with a Military Series of tobacco. I have created two blends with The Country Squire that are named for the Coast Guard: Senior Chief (Yellow Virginias, Latakia, Black Cavendish, Nutty/Maple Burley and Perique) and Lighthouse Keeper which is basically the same but in different proportions).

A Marine Corp version would have to be strong and smokey using some cigar leaf and a touch of whiskey.
    The Navy Version (I know there is a Navy Flake) would have to be something in a twist soaked in rum
    The Army version would be a plug or a crumble cake of some kind and topped with applejack in a nod to the Continental Army 

The Air Force would have to be light and airy so it would contain nothing but Orientals and Lakeland essence.
  • Options
    @thebadgerpiper sign me up for some Otter's Riverside Flake, sounds like it would be amazing
  • Options
    @drac2485 @thewanderingdude Thanks, who knows, maybe I'll be able to make those blends come true one day. If you like the idea of Otter's Riverside Flake, try C&D's Manhattan Afternoon, which is what I had in mind for it.
  • Options
    Thanks @thebadgerpiper , never even heard of that blend. Maybe Ill try it when I trade back my tins of Carolina Red Flake.
  • Options

My dream blend has been discussed at great length, mostly by Motie who seems to be enjoying it almost as much as I do.

The blend is called Mrs. Hudson's 221B Bakery Blend and it's a combination of Sutliff bulk blends:

3 parts Vanilla Custard

2 parts Chocolate Mousse

part Crème Brulee (or you can do as Motie and substitute Molto Dolce)

and just a pinch or two of Irish Cream

• Options
    And having made two batches, I'd still say, "Bravo, Maestro!"

"The name is a reference to Sherlock Holmes' landlady. Since Holmes probably smoked a strong English blend naming a sweet aromatic after him would be inappropriate."
    ~ @ghostsofpompei

The pinch or two of Sutliff Irish Cream is really optional unless you're an originalist.. I've never added it, and I cannot tell the result from what's left of ghosts original batch, which he was so kind as to gift me with [Damn! Another -10 pts. -- Ending a sentence with a preposition.]

• Options
    Something that tastes like a 10 year old VA, lights and smokes like a dried Burley, and smells like an Autumn morning in the woods.... I'm still looking.
  • Options
    Have you tried Wessex Burley Broad Cut?
  • Options
    Not yet, but my curiosity is now tweaked and it's in my "to get" list. 
  • Options
    It would probably taste like Old Dublin, for a lat blend. :) 
  • Options
    I am still trying to discover the blend that a friend of my Dad smoked.......many, many years ago. I can only describe it as the "quintessential pipe aroma" which I know is a subjective based comment. My Dad smoked Mixture 79 and I don't think that was it. Being back in the 50's and early 60's I would almost be certain that it was what we now call a 'codger" over "drugstore" blend. I have tried as many of those as I could with only a few left to test, and nothing thus far. I also bet it was a burley blend. My next order will include Velvet and Grainger (only available in a whole damn tub) as these are about the only ones left out there of any notoriety.

I have bought and tried Half and Half, Prince Albert, Edgeworth (LLRR), M79, Raleigh and Raleigh Aro, and Carter Hall (one of my very favorites, I love to use it by itself and as a mixer). I know there were cetainly other blends at that time, so I need to do more research.

Anyway that would be my dream blend. I might just be chasing my past.
  • Options
    There was something called "Rum and Maple" that was, for many, the "quintessential pipe aroma."

For me, today, it's Barbados Plantation.... that's why I some it: the way it smells/tastes to me and how it smells to others.
  • Options
    When I had my first pipe with a bowl of Boswell's Best, when I smelled the aroma afterwards, I realized I lucked out and found my "quintessential pipe aroma." Since I've read that Boswell's Best is most likely Lane's 1-Q, it made sense. I'm guessing that most of the pipe smokers I encountered smoked Captain Black, as Lane 1-Q has a similar aroma.

I hope you can find your "quintessential pipe aroma" @pwkarch and relive some of those memories.
  • Options
    As I get older, I find myself reaching back in time (as if that were possible). For years now I have found myself TRYING to relive some issues of the past, but as we all know that is actually a folly to say the least......and silly to say the most. Everything changes, some for the better and other things not so much. As we get older things seem to speed up and the past just starts to disappear in the rearview mirror. Things do not taste the same, our preferences change, our attitude changes, our conditions, outlooks, desires, etc.all morph to fit our current situations.

I probably will never find that tobacco of which I spoke, but also I will never sit and talk with my Dad, play baseball again, or get to do so many things that I enjoyed as a younger man.

But the upside is that I will experience new things......albeit at a reduced speed. Another upside is that in the case of searching for "that" tobacco I will just have to keep trying, and falling in love with many new tobaccos. That won't be so bad now will it?
  • Options
    @pwkarch -- I agree with you. Time changes things. In my first pipe life it was all about English mixtures and Va/Pers. This time around it's been nothing but sweet, heavily cased and topped aromatics. Go figure.

@thebadgerpiper -- Thanks for the recommendation. I had not encountered http://boswellpipes.com/tobacco/boswell-blends/boswell-aromatic-blends/ and now I'll give them a closer look. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    [Author unknown]

So you've tried some of the base tobaccos and a few premade blends and think you're ready to mix your own custom blend? Have you decided what your base tobacco will be? That's very important so here's a quick, general guide to the types, some flavoring tips, and how they influence a blend.

Virginia Base: Virginias are a common base for tobacco blends that you can mix with Burleys, Orientals, or even other types of Virginias (typically a Red or Yellow). Flavors like Cherry, Vanilla, Rum, Maple, Hazelnut, or Peach can really enhance the sweet, citrusy taste of Virginia blends. Virginia is considered a "light" tobacco high in sugar and low in nicotine.

Burley Base: This base goes well with just about any other blend type.  Much like a Virginia, adding Cherry, Vanilla, Rum, Maple, Hazelnut, or Peach flavoring bodes well with this full-bodied base.  Beware though; Burley is definitely a "heavy" tobacco that's high in nicotine.

Black Cavendish Base: If you decide to go for this mellow bodied base blend, try mixing it with aromatics like Virginias and Burleys. It typically doesn't get blended with Latakias or Periques but hey, whatever floats your boat. You can sweeten up this rich blend by adding coffee or peach flavoring.

Perique: Perique can be a little spicy for some, so it's used sparingly. Perique is featured with a light Virginia base to create what is known as a VaPer blend. It also goes well with an unflavored Burley but remember, Perique is also very high in nicotine.

Latakia Base: Orientals pair well with this aromatic base blend. Whiskey, Chocolate, Vanilla, and Sambuca flavors enrich its earthy and smoky characteristics.

Oriental/Turkish: People typically use these as a compliment to a Virginia or Latakia base to add depth and complexity to the blend. Mix in some Vanilla flavoring for a satisfying smoke. Oriental is low in nicotine.

Each tobacco has differing amounts of sugar, nicotine, and other factors that completely change the nature of their interactions. Of course your preferences and tastes are the only real guide here.