Home Ask an Expert
Options

Mechanics of the retro-hale

Can someone explain to me how to do this?  I seem to be retro-hale retarded :s

Comments

• Options
    @mfresa ~ Funny you ask this.  I was trying to explain retrohale to some family members today as they did not believe that I don't inhale smoke into my lungs when they clearly see it coming out of my nose.  How to explain it?  That's a tough one! I guess the simplest way to describe what I do is to "sip" some smoke from the pipe and hold it in my mouth (much like taking a sip of water and holding it your mouth while breathing through your nose) I guess I feel my tongue pushing up towards the roof of my mouth which seems to open the nasal passage allowing the smoke to exit through the nose.  I can't recall if I had a hard time getting the hang of it when I first started but it's a natural process that I don't think about now.  I'm not sure if my poor description will be of any help to you or not, but I will say it does make the art of smoking more enjoyable as it brings out a unique "flavor" of each tobacco.  
  • Options
    I think @Kmhartle did a good job explaining the process. I hold the smoke in my mouth for a few seconds before pushing up with my tongue. That will push the smoke through the nostrils, and intensify the flavor somewhat. Once you do it once or twice, you've got it. I don't retrohale often, usually just for new blends, or if I'm really enjoying my pipe at the moment.
  • Options
    When I mastered the retro-hale I couldn't believe how much more flavorful my aromatic blends were. The flavor seems to increase tenfold. 
  • Options
    I guess I retrohale (snork) about every other exhale.

Being a life long cigar smoker, I guess I assume that everyone does it.

For me it's simple...  With your mouth full of smoke and your lips closed, start exhaling as you bring your tongue to the roof of your mouth as you would when you swallow. 

The smoke has nowhere to go but out your nose.

Then simply sit back and enjoy the flavor.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    Thanks for the tips guys! I'll give it a go today.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Yeah, it's like swallowing bourbon...lol sip lightly and "swallow" the smoke and it will come out your nose. Much more flavor for sure. Enjoy!
  • Options
    BentbrierBentbrier Professor
    Lots of good descriptions.  I can't remember learning how.  Now I just do it.  Can't really explain it so glad others have.  Takes practice.  Don't do it much with cigars.  Most cigars tend to burn for some reason.  Everyone's right though really helps bring out the flavor.
  • Options
    It's really just a matter of drawing from the pipe and then blowing the smoke out your nose while keeping your mouth closed.  It'll become second nature to you once you do it a few times.  Definitely adds to the smoking pleasure and enhances detection of flavor variants and components. 
  • Options
    One of my issues that i have with it is that it does burn a bit. Not sure if it's a chemical reaction or temperature. But it's been hit or miss for me. Going to keep trying.
  • Options
    PyratePyrate Enthusiast
    Aye, wot they 'ave said... Wot I notice as a nice aft effect be that it 'as acclimated me sinus to the Virginia which tend to 'ave a grassy note, which in turn 'as lowered me occurrences o sinus infections...
  • Options
    Well, after reading this, I had to pay a little attention to how it happens for me....seems I draw the smoke in and then more or less just relax my tongue which opens up the back of the throat to the nasal passages. And voila! The smoke will ease out nicely with a gentle exhale.

• Options
    jfreedyjfreedy Master
    edited May 2018
    @mfresa — I don’t retro-hale much. I didn’t even learn how to until about 2 years ago. I’m not sure why I don’t really like it. Maybe it’s because I don’t want to expose my sinuses to smoke (my sister had asthma and smoke always set her off). Maybe it’s because sometimes it burns a little. But I think the main reason (& I know this sounds snobby) is because it just looks like cigarette smoking. I’m sure I’m probably just the product of years of anti-smoking propaganda exposure. Plus, I grew up in a very anti-cigarette family. But for me, I only do it if I can’t get a good taste of the tobacco.
  • Options
    mfresamfresa Master
    @jfreedy, I see your point(s).  I enjoy the mouth taste plenty, but once in a while will try a retro-hale.
  • Options
    I find that frequently I slowly exhale through my mouth while smelling the smoke back through my nose. Apparently that is not normal but I seem to get more nuances of the flavors. Maybe this is a reverse retro-hale.
  • Options
    @Pyrate Want to clear out those sinus issues retro-hale Sutliff's Frosty Mint. That's like a blast of Vicks. 
  • Options
    I probably retrohale more than I simply puff. As others have said, I’m chasing the enhanced flavor. I remember sitting in Afghanistan on a janky homemade porch outside my office, smoking some Orlik Golden Sliced for the second or third time. I had not yet been able to detect any of the citrus flavor. I’ll never forget the rush of joy when I retrohaled and picked up the citrus nuance in the grassy Virginias. Mmm. So good. 
     As for others who have complained about the burn, I also experienced this problem with cigars. Here is one way to possibly fix that:
     Try drawing in about half as much smoke as you normally do, and then fill your mouth the rest of the way with regular. This has the effect of diluting the smoke. Then, Retrohale very slowly until it starts to burn.  Immediately, release the rest of the smoke through your mouth. Repeat this process again, and you will find that you can tolerate more smoke with each retrohale.  Before long, you will be enjoying fall mouthfuls of flavorful smoke in your mouth and nose. 
    Hope this helps!
  • Options
    I retrohale occasionally, makes me feel/look like a dragon🙂.  Born in 1964, Chinese year of the dragon😉. Definitely more of the nuances of the tobacco detected with a retrohale.  Blowing out large thick smoke rings is satisfying for me as well......now, if I could only blow out a smoke dragon like Gandalf.  Practice, practice, practice🤪.  I have been taking baby steps and trying to blow a small smoke ring through a larger one.  I’m not sure it is possible, but I keep trying🤔.